Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliathomas1 View Post
According to a survey from 2013, around 65 percent of Americans believe that we only use 10 percent of our brain.
Truth is not decided by majority but by some verifiable evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, I can accept that science tells us we are using 100% of our brain at different times.

Would anyone care to comment on this too please?

I believe there is an experiment which shows a mother rabbit knows of the distress of its offspring from far away. That would suggest something possibly consciousness linking us in some way.

Also, what I would like to know is which part of the brain is used when we hear of documented stories of impossible feats of strength or where we get strange spontaneous effects from? These are areas which do not seem to be accepted as real.
You *may* have gotten the rabbit story from one of my posts; it was an experiment in the '60's, an attempt by the Russians to harness the paranormal for political use.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...ng-empath.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I would add that in the '60's, Russian scientists did controlled studies of psychic phenomena in hopes of finding military applications. They did come up with some weird things (if the books I read so many years ago were even accurate).

For example, this was cruel, but they wired a mother rabbit up with sensors, put her in a lab near the sea shore, and put her babies on a ship at sea near the lab. Whenever they killed one of the babies she had a physiological reaction. Obviously, if this is true, it might suggest some sort of paranormal connection between a mother and child.

Your other question about what parts of the brain, is neuroscience, which is a study of such things. I don't think there are any neuroscientists here, though I intend to study the area in the future. I'm interested in the subject, however.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-06-2018 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 10:50 AM

@OP: BTW, I want to apologize if it sounds like I'm picking on you. I don't mean to. You asked a lot of good questions, but they're difficult ones.

The cognitive functions of the different parts of the brain, interesting subject, and the purview of neuroscience. I think you have to maybe purchase a plastic model of the brain and memorize all the parts, like med school. And the functions are by no means a settled matter, either, IIUC. It's an academic area that's evolving at a very rapid pace due to technology and interdisciplinary studies.

It's interesting to see how academic studies are evolving, in general. There's this new area, Digital Humanities, that is coming to the fore. No PhD's that I've seen but rather, graduate certificates.

Disassembled Human Brain Model Structural Anatomy Medical Teaching Learning Tool
https://www.amazon.com/Disassembled-...l+of+the+brain

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-06-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 12:44 PM

765 posts, read 473,702 times
i read someplace that there was a reason why Einstein was such a genius, not only was one part of his brain larger than most of us, but it also had highly intricate and complex folding, more so than the average brain.... and with more folds, that creates more surface area, so his brain overall was much larger than yours or mine..... and there was actually one extra fold never seen before in any brain which could account for his brain being unique right from birth, could have even been enhanced by the whole nature/nurture thing, epigenitically creating his unique brain functions ...... i do believe that we are slowly unlocking the mysteries of our brains, that research into autism, savants is helping. I had a friend once who could do that amazing calculation of any day at all, ever, in history and be able to tell you what day of the week it was. crazy freaky!!!! I can look at myself and wonder what crazy combo of genes created my constant compulsion for creativity in my brain.... as far back as age 3 i was a constant singer, a little dancer and it only got stronger as I aged, taking music lessons, dance lessons, at age 12 and the whole Beatlemania thing, i discovered i could also draw portraits, which started a whole other interest in art, techniques..... no one encouraged any of it, but it was there, in my genes and was a product of some kind of creativity that exploded out of my brain.... it's so so interesting and i wish everyone could have their brain studied..... and don't even get me started on the topic of ways to stimulate the brain.....Because if we are using 100 % of our brains why then can the brain go into overdrive and be MORE active with stimulation from certain drugs, there are psycho-active ingredients that work with the brain filtering systems, unlocking suppressed emotions, feelings, or even experiences.....so so many famous writers, poets, artists used certain drugs to enhance their creativity.... or why some people feel no effects at all from marijuana!!!! and will we ever develop a drug that will stimulate the brain safely or can help the brain to work better, faster, be more productive???? And it's fascinating now, all the great new research into LSD and how it can be a resource, a boon for treating other diseases.

look at people who had undergone extreme childhood abuse, some suppress it and it never re-surfaces or something can happen years later that might trigger the suppressed memories to come out....or other people's brains who will go into overdrive and instead of suppressing, will explode into multiple personalities.... I don't think we do use 100 percent of our brains, we each use whatever portion that we can access due to our dna/ nature/nurture. For the most part, we still don't have a clue why each brain functions differently, why some people can access better resources of their brains.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:36 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
We can discuss the academic aspects of this in terms of physiology of the brain until the cows come home (endlessly) but the practicalities of it - what we see happening in the field is another matter.

There ARE people who experience unexplainable things which happen and have been documented, but science does not want to go into a 'woo' area because perhaps, it cannot be measured with current instruments.

We can see activity in all 100% of the brain on our monitors and it lights up in pretty colors so we know there are electrical signals there but if, for example, the activity had some effect which could not currently be measured (such as access to another dimension to pull down information), then we would never be able to pin it down. We have to start to look at effects and work backwards as well as forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153
Your other question about what parts of the brain, is neuroscience, which is a study of such things. I don't think there are any neuroscientists here, though I intend to study the area in the future. I'm interested in the subject, however.
I am also asking for opinions, speculations because there is nothing out there which explains how these effects I have described and others too, occur. Also, since there are not likely to be any neuroscientists on here, we are quite safe to speculate from our own perspective of understanding.

Quote:
You asked a lot of good questions, but they're difficult ones.
As scientists, I am certain we are not afraid to tackle difficult questions. Tricky issues will never be resolved unless someone steps out of their comfort zone and addresses them, gets it wrong a couple of times, and eventually teases out the answer. Isn't that what scientists are supposed to do? Make up hypostheses and test them? In "normal life" these are called opinion and speculations.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:45 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, I can accept that science tells us we are using 100% of our brain at different times.

Would anyone care to comment on this too please?

I believe there is an experiment which shows a mother rabbit knows of the distress of its offspring from far away. That would suggest something possibly consciousness linking us in some way.
How far away? Perhaps the offspring emit some sort of hormone or chemical that she can smell from a distance. Male cats can smell a female in heat from miles away so there's no reason other animals can't set off distress hormones that can be smelled from miles away too. I certainly wouldn't automatically jump to some kind of telepathy or pyschic connection, which is what you seem to be suggesting?

Quote:
Also, what I would like to know is which part of the brain is used when we hear of documented stories of impossible feats of strength or where we get strange spontaneous effects from? These are areas which do not seem to be accepted as real.
Impossible feats of strength - I assume you mean like when a mother lifts a car off her trapped child? It's got nothing to do with unused parts of the brain - it's just that in the fear of the moment, people are more willing to risk injury to themselves to save another than we would be normally: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-trapped-child

As for "strange spontaneous effects" - you'll have to be more specific.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
How far away? Perhaps the offspring emit some sort of hormone or chemical that she can smell from a distance. Male cats can smell a female in heat from miles away so there's no reason other animals can't set off distress hormones that can be smelled from miles away too. I certainly wouldn't automatically jump to some kind of telepathy or pyschic connection, which is what you seem to be suggesting?

Impossible feats of strength - I assume you mean like when a mother lifts a car off her trapped child? It's got nothing to do with unused parts of the brain - it's just that in the fear of the moment, people are more willing to risk injury to themselves to save another than we would be normally: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-trapped-child

As for "strange spontaneous effects" - you'll have to be more specific.
The scent of hormones never occurred to me. IIRC, the mother rabbit was in a lab on shore and the babies were in a ship at sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology