Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe this is more of a "pet peeve" than a psychology topic, but I've always wondered...

Why does EVERYONE with a social media account feel the need to post the news of a celebrity's death?

Do they think everyone else also posting it on their social media accounts isn't aware of it?
Probably because the person meant something to them in one way or another.

Personally, I dread seeing for the next week, two weeks, God Forbid! a month, constant references to "Smokey and the Bandit".....but you can't deny it was a popular movie and so many people have so much of their memories tied up into it. Add to it that for many people of a certain age, Burt Reynolds was so instrumental in identifying their lives. One of the great icons of their time has died; of course they are going to react someone.

When Bernard Fox died, I probably announced it somewhere....and my link had been that I had played "Dr. Bombay" 5-6 months earlier. Here on C-D, I announced when Saby Kamalich died because over the past few years, I had seen much of her 60s work, I had a connection to her. Further, especially in Saby's case, yes, I think people were not aware of it.

It maybe because it hurts less to know sooner than later. I was shocked to hear around 2015 or so that Barbara Lynn Tanguay had died.......in 2006. So much of my energy matrix was built around her and receiving that late (I think "we" all did for it was many years after her death outside the country that the announcement reached the surface) piece of news really took the wind out of my sails for about a week........used the aux generator for propulsion during that time, as it might be.

Or it just might be there is always the accomplishment in ...... "I did it first!".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-07-2018 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't consider C-D social media, no. I'm referring to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram; things with your name attached.
Others consider CD to be social media. So you are guilty. Lol.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:19 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Long before social media ...I can still vividly recall when John Lennon was shot. I happened to be home that day from school. My best friend called me up...how she even knew I was home on a school day still baffles me. She was in tears. Between her mumbles she mentioned Lennon. I knew in that second her heartache was real. She had been a fan when others in our class were into metal music. Few in our teen group would understand her sorrow. So yes for some of us who utilize social media...it's more of a hey...here's the loss..and I liked him/her/it.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
There seems to be enough people here who are driven to post for egotistical reasons despite not using real names that is disqualifies your assertion. I really don’t see a huge difference between posting here or there something to inspire conversation, other than some social media platforms are between family and friends and some are between strangers using real names or anon handles.
Yeah, there are those rare few of us who may in fact be posting under their real names....

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 09-07-2018 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 06:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
less people are watching tv and the nightly news.....most of their info is coming from the internet and social media so its an announcement …...to let people know.

I wouldn't have known unless I read it on facebook…

in fact like many other things.....tornadoes, earthquakes......or any other tragedy... facebook does keep you informed..

Old 09-08-2018, 06:30 AM

78 posts, read 66,342 times
Guess what, Ariana Grandes ex boyfriend, dj Mac Miller, just died from drug overdose.

This girl is bad news, there's trouble wherever she goes.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
Guess what, Ariana Grandes ex boyfriend, dj Mac Miller, just died from drug overdose.

Oh, really?

Well, A and B. A: Considering that before last week, I had no clue who she was, had never heard of her, there we go again about getting our news off "these sites".

B: Any relation to Dennis Miller?

Old 09-08-2018, 07:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post

He was a drug addict long before he met Ariana , and he died of an overdose.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Oh, really?

Well, A and B. A: Considering that before last week, I had no clue who she was, had never heard of her, there we go again about getting our news off "these sites".

B: Any relation to Dennis Miller?

I just knew who Ariana Grande was the day of the Manchester bombing.

Then this "pastorgate" episode during Aretha Franklins funeral, and now I saw on tv this guy died. I have no clue if he is related to Dennis Miller...let's hope he doesnt, or Dennis Miller Will be in trouble sooner or later.

Last edited by elmejor77; 09-08-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-08-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
He was a drug addict long before he met Ariana , and he died of an overdose.

Yep, they said on the news " his addiction was the cause they broke up". Sad story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology