Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 09:22 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I don't hate straightforward, upfront, forthright people who tell the truth, far from it. I appreciate it when people make their opinions and values known.

I think the problems creep in, though, when people are overbearing, intrusive, or rude in their interactions. While I appreciate directness, I don't want to feel coerced or disrespected. Kindness goes a long way.
Too often, when someone claims to be 'straightforward,' he's just downright rude.

And then whines about people's natural reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 09:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
There's some people, though, that clobber you over their head w/ their "honesty and straightforwardness." Who likes that? And who's asking for their opinion?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:45 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
In addition to "is it true?", we need to ask ourselves, "Is it necessary? Is it helpful?" and "Is it kind?" before saying something which may be painful for another to hear, true though it may be.

Otherwise, mouths are best kept shut.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
In addition to "is it true?", we need to ask ourselves, "Is it necessary? Is it helpful?" and "Is it kind?" before saying something which may be painful for another to hear, true though it may be.

Otherwise, mouths are best kept shut.
I agree...sometimes the truth hurts...could be why some people hate it when you speak truths.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:01 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
I'll tell a little white lie so as not to hurt a person's feelings.

So sue me.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Too often, when someone claims to be 'straightforward,' he's just downright rude.

BINGO!!! Nailed it!!

I see a lot of these posts: "Why do people hate those who fart in a small confined space without ventilation? Don't they know it's just a natural healthy fermentation process?" "Why can't people figure out that my profane abuse of them for the tiniest thing is for their own good?" and so on.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:12 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post

This. Straightforward people like to be straightforward, but they don't like it when other people are straightforward to them.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:30 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
I don't think they are hated. But what I have seen with some regularity is that people who think they are "straightforward and forthright" use that as an excuse to be rude.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You've started a LOT of threads like this, OP.

Why don't you give us some examples of what you think are honest and straightforward comments?

Old 09-07-2018, 11:29 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default because those kinds of people have

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Whats up with that? and why aren't more people like this in our society??? it kinda makes me sad and upset to a degree that more people aren't like this, what are your thoughts on this issue???
a great BS filter. Those with an "alternate agenda" don't like that.
Now, my three favourite bosses EVER were German. You could us the word "BLUNT" which can hurt feelings and create mis-understanding. Those particular three gather their "data" carefully and don't make mountains out of molehills, and then "blame Canada' for something happening, in Compton.

Since we're within a very "sensitive" time being upfront, forthright, etc. is asking people to man up and be responsible for THEIR contribution to the problem. That's not popular right now either. Good luck.

I'm on a couple of community committees with women running in the next election, have miles of miles dealing with this stuff since the sixties. It's not a good time for straight shooters right now. It'll be awhile before it gets better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology