Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:51 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

Amazing how a person can tune out a loving relative in favor of a device that is a one way box.

I do laugh at movie scenes or cry. But I am not that invested that I scream at an inanimate object. I would love to film these folks and ask them if they are even self aware of how ludicrous their words and actions are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 04:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post

Go JETS
Now THAT was just uncalled for. I mean there are limits.

Go Steelers! Super Bowl LIII

Old 09-12-2018, 05:21 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
WHY? Because this is what they're TAUGHT they're SUPPOSED TO do, in order to be "normal".

The reason why they exhibit the desired response to the "Sports Time!" stimulus, following lifetimes of Operant Conditioning (https://www.google.com/search?q=oper...nt=firefox-b-1), with such abundant enthusiasm, lies in men's sublimated (https://www.google.com/search?client...67.-heyEB3B3-g) homosexuality.

Gay men 'import' the masculinity and sexuality of other men, through physical contact with them (or via fantasized physical contact). "Straight" men may have the same range of latent desires and attractions, but have learned "proper" forms of sublimation.

What you're witnessing, is what is the desired Conditioned Response, and the "proper" sublimation, among certain social classes of CONFORMISTS.

The Operant Conditioning for this, begins VERY early in a boy's life. And the punishments (ostracism, violence, criticism) and rewards (Group Affiliation/"Dad"'s love and approval) are readily observable. Group Affiliation is, by many, considered to be the most important of the PRIMARY REINFORCEMENTS (https://www.google.com/search?client...31.qs9JxA75tMk).

Or maybe they just love sports and are enthusiastic about sports. Sometimes a sports fan is just a sports fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I thought I simply enjoyed playing and watching most sports. Little did I know that I was a gay, conforming, blue collar and simple minded domestic abuser. I was already aware that I cussed like a m***** f****** sailor.
I know! I saw about thirty seconds of The View once. And only once!

Four loud, overly emotional, opinionated "broads" (can't let the women be the only ones making sexist remarks) yelling and screaming about some obscure topic while not even listening to each other AND there is some poor bloke sitting in their midst just CRINGING!

And according to some couch tomato CD psychologist "they" (females) are going full Pavlov aimed at training ALL females to be man-eating lesbians! . <sarcasm emoji>

I love this thread, man!!

Old 09-12-2018, 05:34 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...curse out the referee, umpire, or players from the couch at home.

I ask because three crazy men are currently doing this in my home as of now.

They are pointlessly cursing players and judges out, and using extremely "colorful" words for various players and judges during a football game.

They are LOUD.

All are using words like "Mother F****r, ass****, effing bastard etc. You get the drift.

When things are going there way, they also compliment players and say "that's the way you do it" and other words of encouragement. The are less loud with their compliments and coaching suggestions. "How do you let him run past you? He's got a effing injured leg, this is BS!" (that was the latest comment)

This is just the beginning of a long, long fall...

I'm baking an apple pie in the kitchen which adjoins the family room, where these three bozos are sitting on an ugly reclining couch, bought just for this season, against my decorating will, by my husband. Not to get off topic, but this enormous sectional is so decadent, it even has two mini coolers in it, so no one needs to get up to get a beer.

And no, they are not drunk. Or even buzzed. They do not use this type of vulgar language constantly or very frequently IRL, But when a game is on, especially football, they all swear like proverbial "drunken sailors".

WHY? Do men on some level thing the players or refs can hear them? Why so much vulgarity? Is this normal? The three of them have three different political points of view, but I don't hear any of them yelling like maniacs when the news is not in their favor.

What gives? Your thoughts?
OMG! What a funny post. I don't watch sports because that is exactly how I would behave and my blood pressure would rise. I am a woman.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
They're insane. Or to put it technically, Sportsicus Addictionus Loonietoonus, from the DSM VII.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 PM

468 posts, read 356,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I have a relative (female) who is a baseball nut, and I've seen her watch games that were not going in her favor. She would yell and even groan in agony and say things like "I don't know why I'm watching this..."

Yeah, that makes two of us...
In my opinion girls make great sport fans....I took a girl friend to see a Yankee game and to watch this girl who was naturally shy totally let loose with pure excitement after seeing Reggie Jackson smash a monster home run to put the Bronx Bombers ahead was pure joy.

And she was than the most vocal in the fan chant "REGGIE, REGGIE, REGGIE"

Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I think if you're invested in the game, it can happen. I am a woman who has never been into football. I was only mildly interested in the fact that the Eagles were going to be in the Superbowl, despite that being the big team in my hometown. I was always put off by them after they hired Vick, post dogfighting sentence. He's gone from the team now though.

I never watch the Superbowl, but a friend had a little get-together and my former roommate and I went over to her house. In the last quarter, after some truly nailbiting plays, I remember falling to my knees and shrieking "You beautiful mother f*****s!" in my friend's living room. At some point, I got very very invested and I didn't even realize it. I suspect it was a combination of lingering homesickness and nostalgia that sent me to that place.

I dunno. I don't really get the point of identifying with a team in many ways. I live in Denver now, and the Broncos are even more of a cult here than the Eagles are in Philly. But I just got caught up inn the moment.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
While shrieking with rage and throwing chairs would obviously be a problem, is shouting out during sports really that weird? I'm struggling to imagine a couch full of sports fans clapping mutedly in polite approval for every touchdown.

Isn't it *supposed* to be exciting? Aren't you supposed to jump right out of your seat?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:22 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Here's a different twist on this. Some years back, I became interested in a young woman I met while working out in a weight room and on a running track. She was a serious athlete, which gave us a lot in common and she seemed so nice. I started thinking that there were some serious possibilities. She had a brother, sister and father who were also athletes and she'd grown up with them, watching sports on TV.

When I watch games on TV, I rarely say anything at all. When I went to visit her at her apartment the first time, our local college football team was playing on TV and I was stunned at how she and her sister got so loud and crude with their remarks. They were worse than anyone I ever heard in a day room, in the Army. Apparently, her whole family was like that, when watching sports. I wonder if she ever figured out, why I never came to see her again?

incidentally, In the years I spent working out and associating with athletes of all types at that university, I found that the women on sports teams talk just the same as the men do. They tell the same dirty jokes and curse just as badly, although they seem a bit more reserved about doing it around the public or people they don't know.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Sheesh, talk about stereotypes in this thread! First of all this is not just a blue collar thing- not at all! I've worked white collar jobs most of my life, and many, many of them are football fans, too. And guess what? When getting into a game that their team is playing, they get intense, yelling at the referree at times, expressing whatever they would if they were actually in the stadium. It's simply what sports fans do, it has nothing to do with white or blue collar, and it's certainly not some mental problem or weirdness- it's called being really interested in something! Of course they know their voice won't be heard by the players or the officials, but it's just a part of feeling connected with a team and enjoying the sport.

And it's also not just men- far form it! So many women I know, including my wife, my step mother, and many female friends are just as big of football fans as any men. To the point of acting this same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology