Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

If he has any love for his wife, even if he has been abusive, why? Or is that the answer? He doesn't love her?

If he doesn't love her, if he hates her, why hold on to her?
When a man holds on to a woman, he views this as his connection. However, it is an interaction. It is an interaction rather than a connection because it is the act or behavior that is important. They see it as a sense of loyalty. The relationship probably started with him doing something nice for her and expected something in return later. Again, the act or behavior was more important than who he did it for.

The woman plays a role in this by confusing his attempts to interact as a romantic connection. She later senses the disconnect in the relationship. Keep in mind the roles can be reversed.

That is why he can claim he loves her but then does things that don't look loving. The connection was never there. The interaction was confused as love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyihavequestions View Post
I don't understand this either but I think it happens to some men who can't see a life without the life they had with wife/kids
After a divorce the men always get blamed regardless of any situation that actually happened

Its also traumatizing when good men get a divorce and the wife starts making up stories to take away the kids

I've heard plenty of stories where men lost everything and had to live in some apartment while the govt takes most of what he earns, to make it worse the mother takes the kids and says the dad has another life, wife/kids and is living well without them but clearly it isn't true
I have suggested that men should have an organization to turn to like Women in Distress. But when I share this idea, almost everyone agrees that a man would never go to a place like that.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:14 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I have suggested that men should have an organization to turn to like Women in Distress. But when I share this idea, almost everyone agrees that a man would never go to a place like that.
It can be difficult to get some men just to go to a medical doctor. It is often difficult to get many guys to go to marriage counseling. Maybe it is an ego thing or they feel it would be admitting a weakness or they just don’t want to “look like the bad guy.” I don’t understand it.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Seriously? People have trouble judging a man who kills his wife and kids? Because we know that's not self-defense or any other defendable reason. And don't for a second doubt he's the guilty one - no one else has motive in these kinds of cases. He's guilty and I have no problem saying that.
I am not judging the victim, whom I thought the previous poster was referring to.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
When a man holds on to a woman, he views this as his connection. However, it is an interaction. It is an interaction rather than a connection because it is the act or behavior that is important. They see it as a sense of loyalty. The relationship probably started with him doing something nice for her and expected something in return later. Again, the act or behavior was more important than who he did it for.

The woman plays a role in this by confusing his attempts to interact as a romantic connection. She later senses the disconnect in the relationship. Keep in mind the roles can be reversed.

That is why he can claim he loves her but then does things that don't look loving. The connection was never there. The interaction was confused as love.
I have to admit that I do not understand your post.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyihavequestions View Post
I don't understand this either but I think it happens to some men who can't see a life without the life they had with wife/kids
After a divorce the men always get blamed regardless of any situation that actually happened

Its also traumatizing when good men get a divorce and the wife starts making up stories to take away the kids

I've heard plenty of stories where men lost everything and had to live in some apartment while the govt takes most of what he earns, to make it worse the mother takes the kids and says the dad has another life, wife/kids and is living well without them but clearly it isn't true
Yes this terrible thing dies not happen, but I have heard of cases where husband successfully got custody.

At any rate this is not what I am asking.

Think of the cases where woman flees in terror, husband stalks and kills her. Or she files for divorce, and he kills her. He might kill the kids, if there are any, too. And he might kill himself. That’s what I am talking about.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Right - men see talking as pointless...take action...kill someone...much more effective.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I have to admit that I do not understand your post.
No problem. Another way to see it is that men may see their actions as most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Right - men see talking as pointless...take action...kill someone...much more effective.
Talking can be pointless if there is blaming going around.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 PM

But why kill your wife? How does that fix anything, especially if you then kill yourself?

Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
But why kill your wife? How does that fix anything, especially if you then kill yourself?
It's not a matter of 'fixing' but rather controlling. It is a tragedy. Right now at work there is a woman getting a divorce from a man who we think would do the unthinkable. It's scary. He tells her that couples work through the troubles they are going through so he wonders why she is divorcing him. He abused her and the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology