Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:17 AM

867 posts, read 723,174 times

Advertisements

Shy introvert here.

Unless some unusual circumstance has prompted me to (for example, helping a shorter person reach something on a high shelf in a store), I don't initiate conversations with strangers in most public situations, such as standing in line, riding the bus, or sitting in a waiting room. But I will smile if the situation calls for it, or playfully wave at a small child, or make a comment about a dog. Whether and how I reply to someone else's opening conversational bid depends on a number of things, including the "creep" factor that has been the subject of another thread, but my own mood and what I'm doing at the time are at least as important. (I often might seem to be doing nothing when I am in fact trying to think through complicated work-related matters.) I try to discourage people's interest by wearing sunglasses or headphones, or by reading.

I might, however, initiate a conversation at a more organized gathering, such as an exhibition opening, lecture, or conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Props are helpful. Without even thinking about it, I've asked people about their dogs and one became a friend through that. Asked a surfer about the surfboard holder on his bike, same thing. I usually make eye-contact and smile. Asked a guy about his airplane and got a ride. Stopped to talk to a very handsome guy alone in a diner and started a long relationship.

But in groups, I'm quiet. Always someone louder and more "A"-type taking center stage.

Planes, I'm friendly but won't initiate a conversation.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:50 PM

One thing I dread most about flying is getting a talkative seatmate on a transcontinental or transatlantic flight! It is exceptionally difficult for someone to engage me in those circumstances because I don't know if, once they start talking, they will ever shut up.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I will often initiate a conversation with someone in a market about an item we are purchasing etc. Or if I see someone with a cane or walker as I use one and often wonder why they use one. If they are receptive it's nice, it not, I move on.

Years ago I read that a shy person is really a selfish person.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spets View Post
...why is it looked down upon to be an introvert and a person who focuses on themselves and doesn't share their life with anyone else?
Most people are weak and insecure. They require constant signs of approval from others. They hate and fear those who are naturally strong and secure, those who are capable of independent thought and action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No one likes a misanthropic narcissist. Do you?
I like people capable of independent thought. I don't care about the approval of others.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have read that, too. Anybody can. For example:

Shyness is selfish

Shyness is Rude - Chalene Johnson Official Site

But I do not believe it and I, myself, do not live my life selfishly.

And do not confuse shyness with introverted narcissism!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ert-narcissist

Old 09-22-2018, 01:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
That's awful!

Old 09-22-2018, 01:58 PM

Being focused on oneself (i.e., "selfish") is not integral to being an introvert, and some extroverts are blatantly focused on themselves--for example, the ones who hog the spotlight: "Look at me, everybody! Look at me!"

Old 09-22-2018, 04:45 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
I will often initiate a conversation with someone in a market about an item we are purchasing etc. Or if I see someone with a cane or walker as I use one and often wonder why they use one. If they are receptive it's nice, it not, I move on.

Eh. We are all selfish to some degree.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
I was locked away in a reform school and when I got out and went to college I was really shy and never made eye contact. Gradually over the years I became especially outgoing and will make smart-assed remarks to strangers. I can stay in my house 2-3 days in a row but go and give speeches to other lawyer groups. I had to force myself at first but as I age I get less shy. I talk to strange dogs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology