Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 PM

34 posts, read 20,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Find a job , make some money and raise a family. That is much thrilling than this . These thoughts will vanish automatically.
That is what I hope for.

I work as an engineer, no family yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
How do you know that?

I read a few books on reincarnation and they stated, in a nutshell, that a lot of the likes/dislikes from one life etc. are passed on into the next.

If you have a traumatic event with dogs, then you would have afear of dogs in the next life.

If you got, say, a scar from a sports accident, that could possibly translate over to your next body and wouldn't be able to explain that mark/spot.

If you work on whatever skill, it's likely that you will have an interest and an even better aptitude for that in your next life.

So, if you believe in reincarnation, everything you do is certainly not necessarily useless at all.
I do not remember a past life, does this mean that I am "new"? Will I remember me now in the next life?

(Based on what you've read.)

Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I look at life as a duration of responsibility and ownership for our time on Earth. We're carrying the torch from our parents, to pass on to our children when the time comes. Life isn't just getting through life and maybe living 80 years if we're lucky. Amass something to pass on. Stop being so self centered and thinking "well if I can't take it with me..." LEAVE SOMETHING FOR YOUR KIDS OTHER THAN DEBT. Maybe a paid-for house or devise a plan where grandparents leave to their grandchildren.

If we don't contribute for a cause bigger than what's obtainable and consumable within one's own lifetime, we'll never see beyond 100 years. This, in my opinion, is the Achilles' heel of the human race that limits us. The Great Wall of China took 2000 years to build (given the technology at the time). But we seem to be only interested in projects that can be completed in a few years. It's popular to demand short ROI and give the third degree to our financial advisers each quarter when we don't see a gain posted.
This is such a great point.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Lynette View Post
OP, I wonder how old you are.

Seems to me you start thinking the way you do when you realize the bulk of your life is behind you and you think you haven't much to show for it.

I am 60 and I sometimes feel the way you do. I get depressed then.
My advice would be not to waste too much of your time on this kind of thoughts. Live in the present. Do things you enjoy doing, not because they might survive you, but simply because they give you joy. Surround yourself with people you like. Nothing like a cheerful conversation and a good meal with friends to forget about death. Play with kids, listen to their thoughts on how the world works and have a good laugh.

Look at the way pets function (I have cats, but it works with dogs also). Do they care about the future? No. Do they wonder about leaving a legacy to the world? No. Do they worry about reincarnation? No.
They eat a few croquettes, go and lie in the sun, stretch, and sigh happily. There is nothing else to life but enjoy it while you can.

This being said, we all have a brain that has a notion of time, and we know death is just around the corner, so yes, living in the present only is not as easy as it sounds.
I am 22. I've been told I am "beyond my years", and I tend to think too much (hence why I am here in this situation, I suppose).

Thank you.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Does it matter?

And if so, why?
I wish I thought like you.

I would want to take them with me wherever I go.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I am the oldest surviving member of my family. I was born before WWII. I have seen people born and die. There is no mystery in this physical realm. I feel that we should all contribute to make our society better. Judge Kavenaugh works at a soup kitchen in Washington, DC. I became a volunteer fireman in 1957 and later served as an advanced EMT. Most of us live until age 90 or so. I am the fourth generation in my family to be married 50 years or more. We are doing something right. Both my sons have that opportunity.

I have written what I know about all my ancestors. All of my cousins have copies. I describe it as a living document to be added to or corrected as necessary. Of all those people, nobody ever went to jail. Many lost jobs as industries faded away or simply went bankrupt. You move on and invent your own job. Being the elder is a responsibility. It is also a blessing. I remember people and events from before the young folks were born. Some were sorrowful, but some were hilarious. Enjoy your life. Avoid grumpy people.
Thank you.

Do you feel at peace with death, at your age?

Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean900 View Post
Step 1) Think of dead people you admire, what did they do? Step 2) Do it too.

PS: Can't help you on the vastness of the universe thing.

PSS: Playing video games is the most futile thing you can possibly do, spending hours of your life making that 5 turn into a 6 or 10 become 11 is self inflicted purgatory. At least learn to code them or something.
I work as an engineer. I play video games maybe 2-3 hrs a week. I picked a poor example.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I think this is called "ennui".

In any case, fairly common. But your instincts are correct- what you do does NOT matter, in the big picture, and in the long run, and at the large scale. For example, a planetary scale. Or for the scale of humanity. Unless you're truly a "Great Man" and can influence the course of history. In which case, do that, if you like. Might as well try, right? Do you have any passions for contributing something of great significance to humanity? Some people hope to solve major problems with their research. A cure for cancer, or even the common cold, would change the lives of billions of people. And even positive things like that will have negative effects, so don't think you can escape responsibility for anything negative that happens as a result of your efforts either...Life isn't all accolades and compliments even for a Great Man (or Woman, as the case may be, of course).

But if you don't have those types of aspirations, just want to be a normal average guy, can't you just focus on enjoying your life then? Optimize it so that you get the most from it. Stop obsessing over the fact it is going to end and just enjoy what time you DO have. What else can you do but that anyway?

It sounds like you WOULD do that, like you have and acknowledge the impulse to do that, but a feeling there should be more, that you should be doing something ELSE, prevents you from enjoyment.

Is that accurate? If so, what you're experiencing is also common - a human quest for usefulness, which most normal humans have. Some humans don't - they're lazy or anti-social and don't want to ever do anything or be of any productive help in human society. And that's fine too - we live in a time when humans can do that sort of thing and still survive. Its not very admirable of course, but if the admiration or respect of others isn't important to you, then that shouldn't be a problem.

So, I say, figure out what it is you THINK you should be doing instead of goofing off playing video games. And it doesn't have to be anything amazing. It can be something ordinary or common. That's fine too.
I have felt unfulfilled for 3 months or so. I've recently graduated college and am adjusting to not being in school for the first time in oh 17 years or so (school prevented me any free time to think these thoughts.). I am working as an engineer, but I somewhat bored. I have some hobbies, but no PASSIONS.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You keep the memories forever.
As a nebulous, non-human piece of the universe?

Old 09-22-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Are you trolling? Your experiences will live on social media, tapes, cds, memory cards, hard drives, etc. and whatever you used to record them.
No I am not trolling. I was referring to whether or not I will remember them as whatever I may be in the next life (if there is one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology