Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 PM

506 posts, read 506,368 times

Advertisements

I'm referring to Cody Wilson, the 3-D gun advocate.

Yes, he was accused of committing a sex crime with a minor.

But he hasn't been convicted yet in court. Evidences have to be gathered. There have to be testimonies, and all facts have to be considered. He did not confess. Yes, the fact that he was in Taiwan and stayed there after finding out he was a wanted man doesn't look good for him. But again, every one is entitled to due process.

Pedophilia is the worst crime to be accused of, even worse than murder itself. The supporters who think Cody is innocent and was framed, are called names like "they must be pedos themselves!" and all other sorts of put-downs.

I'm not saying Cody or anyone like him who is accused are guilty. I'm not saying he's innocent either. But why jump to conclusion without getting all the facts? Why assume just because it's in the news making the person look bad, he or she is guilty before convicted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,446,261 times
In the court of public opinion, we are free to make up our minds as information becomes available. But with the namecalling you are mentioning, it's not so much a matter of them thinking he's innocent or guilty as much as it is them just calling the other side of the political issue names.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
But why jump to conclusion without getting all the facts? Why assume just because it's in the news making the person look bad, he or she is guilty before convicted?
Oh, you mean like Judge Kavanaugh?

Because the law cannot prejudge someone, but people sure can. And with the internet, it is oh so "fun" and easy to do.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,341,111 times
Because it's normally not the kind of thing an innocent person is accused of.

So, that's first.

Then, if the available details do say the guy fled to some other country - hello - yeah, he looks guilty. And I can say so, because I'm not on the jury that has to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But, even if you consider the benefit of the doubt - the doubt is pretty huge. How many innocent people take off to other countries, etc.?

The courts look at what is "reasonable." Or what would a "reasonable" person conclude from learning the facts. So, looking at it from a different way, is it unreasonable for people to assume someone's guilty based on the available facts?

Nobody has to ignore the available evidence or not then come up with a reasonable assumption about what probably happened. Guilty people might like to try and assert otherwise, but as they say, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's probably a duck. And, we're well within our rights to say so.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,044,970 times
Wow, I had to look him up & a brief history of the charges ... the court of public opinion must be pulling some rank, because his extradition was barely legal.

A state (not federal) warrant for a 2nd degree felony, was issued on 19 September, which was 13 days after he had arrived in Taiwan (06 September). Taiwan, however, does not have a treaty that permits extradition to the US & even if it did; he would have to be wanted on a federal charge.

So to “make him illegalâ€, the US cancelled his passport but arrested him in Taiwan before he had even attempted to travel, stating he was in the country illegally. Despite that he had travelled there legally & had not tried to travel out of Taiwan.

Meanwhile, literally hundreds of kids are abducted & taken out of the US every year. Not only that but what about:

Denise Harvey? The 48 year old woman from Florida who was convicted in 2008 for 5 counts sexual assault on a minor, who happened to be a 16 year old boy on her son’s baseball team? She’s been CONVICTED... & sentenced to 30 years in prison but she fled to Canada in 2010 & was granted asylum. She is actually now eligible for Canadian citizenship & the US can’t do a thing about it. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...nada-1.2646061

Or Prakashanand Saraswati? The guru of an Austin Texas ashram who was convicted of 20 counts of indecency with a minor, sentenced to 14 years in prison in 2011 but fled to Mexico & from Mexico to India? https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/gu...ice/index.html

I mean ... ?? There must be more to this story.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,881,595 times
In the specific case of the guy who wants to sell 3D gun blueprints, he's supporting something which many people disagree with. I think it's irresponsible and dislike and don't understand him on that issue. So it's easy to be supportive of him being put away, for whatever reason. It's not inconceivable that he was set up, though it's unclear. He could be just a self-centered narcissist. That's what it looks like.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,441,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
In the court of public opinion, we are free to make up our minds as information becomes available.

Unfortunately I think this is where our judicial system (and I use that term very loosely) is headed. We are going to reach a point where the public determines your fate. It's actually very scary, because that's a society with no social order.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:42 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,441,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I mean ... ?? There must be more to this story.

The State Department has been involved in the legal action. They are also responsible for issuing and cancelling passports.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:51 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,250,320 times
Some people may have actually made up their mind...many others are forming an opinion and that opinion may change for the better (or worse) as information comes in. Just because I have an opinion doesn't mean it is immutable.

People are wired to quickly solve problems and they often use heuristics to fill in gaps until they get more information - nothing surprising about that.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:53 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,250,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Unfortunately I think this is where our judicial system (and I use that term very loosely) is headed. We are going to reach a point where the public determines your fate. It's actually very scary, because that's a society with no social order.
Well, he won't get thrown in jail because of what's happening in twitter land! That he'll suffer from negative publicity - sure - that has been the case for decades but it is just further reaching now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology