Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 04:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd share this with you folks. I just had my third month of social helper come for 4 hr to help with wash, changing bed and light house work and even some personal stuff..

All 3 people so far come from so little, large families and other countries for the most part and talk about kindness and willing to help. And they work for so little compared to so so many in the U.S. I've already told her which painting of mine she can have down the road, she likes my work and I've given artwork to others already.

The point is this, so many Americans complain about so much and have so so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 12:10 AM

408 posts, read 431,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thought I'd share this with you folks. I just had my third month of social helper come for 4 hr to help with wash, changing bed and light house work and even some personal stuff..

All 3 people so far come from so little, large families and other countries for the most part and talk about kindness and willing to help. And they work for so little compared to so so many in the U.S. I've already told her which painting of mine she can have down the road, she likes my work and I've given artwork to others already.

The point is this, so many Americans complain about so much and have so so much more.
I feel like people with less have more burden in life and are more sensitive to issues in the world around them. Meanwhile upper-class people may be insulated from a lot of the problems happening around them. They've had fewer struggles and with more money, have greater temptation to purchase things for themselves.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:17 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
People who have had huge amounts of life struggles with little success have more compassion for people in my experience.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:10 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
I have observed this, retired to a developing country. Our $3/hr. maid is the most cheerful person ever. She comes with her daughter(s) or husband to clean many of our complex's units, THEN returns to run a small café back at her home. She has to ride a bus to get here and back.

So we all give her things we are no longer using, and I'm sure we seem so wasteful to her. She lost a lot in the earthquake 2 years ago, but is still so sweet and cheerful.

Most of the locals are cheerful, despite having poor or no jobs, a (to us) low standard of living, but they all socialize from their front stoop or hammocks. No homelessness, either.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM

I can so much relate to those with little, being born after the great depression and having a father who was a blue collar worker vs white collar father. My friend grew up in white collar home and we surely don't think a lot alike in this area, other areas yes, but she has no recollection of having it tougher. I've worked hard for 40 yrs and acquired plenty but no gold faucets and now spending my years getting rid of so much stuff. And I enjoy contentment with my life of STUFF.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:59 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Most of the locals are cheerful, despite having poor or no jobs, a (to us) low standard of living, but they all socialize from their front stoop or hammocks. No homelessness, either.
Despite? To me, that way of life sounds pretty great. But then, my work ethic has never been particularly high, heh

Old 09-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I have observed this, retired to a developing country. Our $3/hr. maid is the most cheerful person ever. She comes with her daughter(s) or husband to clean many of our complex's units, THEN returns to run a small café back at her home. She has to ride a bus to get here and back.

So we all give her things we are no longer using, and I'm sure we seem so wasteful to her. She lost a lot in the earthquake 2 years ago, but is still so sweet and cheerful.

We live in Capitalist U.S. and it's a mantra of more and more and more. More to get rid of, more to protect and be buried with??? (not really but get the idea)

Old 09-28-2018, 02:54 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
So...being poverty ridden and happy is the way to go? Hmmm ....Guess I'm there then

Old 09-28-2018, 02:56 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
To be fair, she's chosen to work in a caring profession. It's not like there aren't misanthropic underpaid immigrants, they just wouldn't last long as home health aides unless they were good at faking it.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:19 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Too many people seem to concentrate on what they don't have instead of appreciating what they do have. They feel deprived and unhappy if other people have bigger houses, more expensive cars, more "toys", go on "better" vacations etc., and they try to keep up. That's hard to do unless there's a large enough income to pay for all of the above. If there isn't, too many go into debt for stuff they really don't need, thereby jeopardizing their future financial security. We have relatives who are always complaining about being short of money, but there is plenty to buy new cars with big monthly payments, constantly go out to eat for lunch and dinner, buy the latest electronic gadget, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology