Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Please tell me you are joking.... or that you are very, very young.

What I find creepy are old Civil War and old West photos - finally figured it out, everyone has light colored eyes (I mean the caucasians). You don't see that as much anymore now that we have a more diverse population
It's also that you didn't just snap a picture and sashay off to snap the next one. The subjects had to remain still for several minutes in order for there to be sufficient light recorded to take the photograph on early photographic equipment. I don't think everyone had light-colored eyes, lol, I think that's just what the longer exposure time caused to be recorded. Remember, photography is the recording of LIGHT. I'm thinking that in the longer exposure time, the eyes caught and reflected more light in the exposure time than, say, a uniform. It's probably due to whatever also used to cause the red eyes in film photographs of 30 - 40 years ago.

I'd guess that there are more Caucasians with brown eyes than blue. I am one of seven kids of chiefly British and Dutch heritage. We've all had our DNA done and don't even have any southern European in us, let alone other races. Five of us have brown eyes like our mother, two have green eyes like our father.

I saw a picture last year taken in Paris in the 19th century, one of the oldest known photographs. It's a Parisian street, and there is one lone person in the photo, a shoeshine man, I think. In reality, the street would have been full of people, but they were walking and moving and so they didn't record. The shoeshine guy was in his same spot the entire time, so he alone shows up on what appears to be an otherwise empty city street.

Nowadays we can set our cameras to shutter speeds of a fraction of a second.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-01-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 11:33 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
Old photos look like they are from a time past, which they are. They have an aura and mystique to them. I like old photos.

Let me share one for reference, and tell me what you think.. is it "scary/creepy," or just plain cool? (The guy in the photo does have kind of a stern, authorative look on his face. Does that scare someone?)

Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
Here.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:47 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I saw some old Halloween photos in a recent horror film. They were literally the creepiest looking things I've ever seen. Black and white. From the early or mid 20th century. This was probably before they were mass produced, and people used to make their own. I googled more images and the creepiness is just non stop.

(For examples google "vintage Halloween costume" and click on images)

But the thing is, some of them don't even look like they would have been scary back in the day. They look home made. But many of them have masks. Homemade masks are really "special" if you know what I'm saying. Intense. But even costumes without the masks look scary too.

Why is this? And why is it happening just now? I can't go back in time but I get the feeling that perhaps 20 years ago these kind of pictures might not have had the same effect that they do now. They might have even looked dull or boring.

If anyone has any insight to how this phenomenon can occur, I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Black and white photographs (and later, video) were notoriously difficult to get the exposure right, resulting in either washed out or abnormally dark outcomes.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's also that you didn't just snap a picture and sashay off to snap the next one. The subjects had to remain still for several minutes in order for there to be sufficient light recorded to take the photograph on early photographic equipment. I don't think everyone had light-colored eyes, lol, I think that's just what the longer exposure time caused to be recorded. Remember, photography is the recording of LIGHT. I'm thinking that in the longer exposure time, the eyes caught and reflected more light in the exposure time than, say, a uniform. It's probably due to whatever also used to cause the red eyes in film photographs of 30 - 40 years ago.

I'd guess that there are more Caucasians with brown eyes than blue. I am one of seven kids of chiefly British and Dutch heritage. We've all had our DNA done and don't even have any southern European in us, let alone other races. Five of us have brown eyes like our mother, two have green eyes like our father.

I saw a picture last year taken in Paris in the 19th century, one of the oldest known photographs. It's a Parisian street, and there is one lone person in the photo, a shoeshine man, I think. In reality, the street would have been full of people, but they were walking and moving and so they didn't record. The shoeshine guy was in his same spot the entire time, so he alone shows up on what appears to be an otherwise empty city street.

Nowadays we can set our cameras to shutter speeds of a fraction of a second.
Longer exposure times would have affected the oldest photos. But as the 20th Century moved Into the first decade, it became much easier to get candid shots. You still got people to pose, but they did not have to remain still for long periods of time. There are in my family pictures of my grandparents when they were courting, dated probably to the aughts. The people in the pics were posing, but they look relaxed. The shots were taken out doors.

I suppose the habit of getting people to pose before having their picture taken comes from those earlier times. If you moved, the shot was blurry.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
What I find creepy are old Civil War and old West photos - finally figured it out, everyone has light colored eyes (I mean the caucasians). You don't see that as much anymore now that we have a more diverse population
You would be terrified by my family then, lol... everyone except my mother and one niece (since she’s Eurasian) has light blue or green eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology