Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:01 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I actually knew another guy who would get plate after plate full of food, even if he didn't eat it. He would say, "That's terrible!" then go get something else. But I could see through that charade. He didn't stuff himself, but I guess just getting the food to be thrown away satisfied him and he felt like he was getting more than his money's worth even if all he did was throw it away.
Well, I guess we've established that you've known some weirdos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 12:06 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think some posters here are way too focused on what other people eat, how much they eat and how often. Noticing the price of their meals and what's left on their plate? Get a life.
You'll have to tell everyone else who was disgusted by their behavior. The one guy was so bad that none of the coworkers even wanted to eat lunch with him anymore.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:09 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

waitresses want free money in form of tips because they dont make the employers pay them like everyone else
They earn those tips.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:16 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
I don't believe in the tip system, so I usually tip pretty generously. I just wish that they were paid more and that the restaurants increased the menu prices to compensate. I am not looking for someone to impress me with their service. If they do a good enough job to stay employed, then that is fine with me.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:44 AM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
poor person gets free refills... rich person gets free money with tax shelter...
My mind went there too. A free refill is "free stuff." Billions of tax dollars in subsidies to energy companies is capitalism.

Quote:
waitresses want free money in form of tips because they dont make the employers pay them like everyone else
Employers are legally allowed to pay servers less, although they have to keep track of tips and make sure the servers earn minimum wage at least. In the restaurants I worked in, the servers made out like bandits compared to people who worked in the kitchen. I'm sure that's not universally true. I always tip generously, 20% at least, and forgive servers a bad day. They're allowed. It's not an easy life.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:22 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times
Bottom Line: these people believe that 'More is Better'.

My mother was like that, but now that I am older I think I understand why. She was a young girl in Nazi Germany, and her family lost everything when her city was bombed by the Allies and left with nothing. Maybe in the rest of her life she was trying to catch up with all that was taken away from her.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
[/b]

I've heard that's how some rich folks become rich.
All those rich with greenbacks, are often very short in good spirits. I could start name a bunch but we don't go there, do we?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:57 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Attachment 203385

Some people are just driven.

Last edited by Delahanty; 05-20-2019 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 05:28 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I'm picky about freebies. It has to be something I really want or like, not require waiting in long lines and not be something that's just meant to bring you in the door to sell you higher profit items (yeah the donut is free, but am I really going to have one without coffee?). Camp out at 4 AM on Black Friday to get a bargain? I dont' want anything that badly.

I do hang out on a Web site called e-Rewards and complete marketing surveys in exchange for points I can redeem for Hilton points, Starbucks gift cards and other freebies. On a $ per hour basis it's piddly but I'm retired and find them interesting. The blood bank also gives Starbucks gift cards, among other things. I can't remember when I've had to use real money to top up my Starbucks account!

And, speaking of travel programs- I'm all over them and have been for years. Between a lot of business travel when I was working, personal travel since then and keeping an eye on promotions such as credit-card signup bonuses, I've done VERY well over the last 20 years- easily in the tens of thousands of $$. I just flew to India in Business Class on miles last March. Well worth the effort.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:06 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Try watching people when they hand out samples at Costco. It’s fascinating. At times I’d swear they’re handing out bars of gold. Crowds block isles waiting on that cheeseburger or chicken nugget sample.

I’ve heard the workers handing out samples scold people for coming back multiple times and watched them duck when someone reaches over their heads to grab that piece of cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology