Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,201,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
A form of greed.
Or possibly gluttony?
Oh I see you added another comment.

I refuseto go to the all-you-can-eat places because it's disgusting the amount of food being put away by morbidlyobese people. I just can't enjoy a meal being around that.
Yep, the people that down a fast food meal then hit the soda machine on the way out cuz it's free. Who needs to drink that much soda? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 04:15 AM

23,074 posts, read 28,799,187 times
For some odd reason, at work, when people bring food to work, and there's free leftovers, why oh why does it taste so good? Because it's free!

At a LTC rehab facility I worked at, when a patient doesn't feel like eating his meal, refuses it, why oh why, even if it's gotten cold, does it taste so good? Because it's free!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:48 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,967,716 times
"Cheap is good, but free is better."

You can borrow that and embroider it on a pillow if you like. No charge.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,939,780 times
One time we had a themed company picnic. The theme was "Down Under" and one of the items to eat was "shrimp on the Barbie" At the end of the day, there was a large tray of shrimp that no one had touched, and had been sitting out all day.

One lady wanted to take the shrimp home. Someone told her it wasn't a good idea, because it had been sitting out all day. She got testy and told the guy off, saying "No one can stop me! No one's even touched this tray! I'm going to take it, and share it at church tomorrow!"

That following Monday and Tuesday, she was out sick.

Aha. I guess she was. AND everyone at church too I'm guessing.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,236,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I refuse to go to the all-you-can-eat places because it's disgusting the amount of food being put away by morbidly obese people. I just can't enjoy a meal being around that.
I agree- I see that around me and worry that it's contagious.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:34 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,327,283 times
Who doesn't like free stuff. As long as you're following the rules in getting it free, nothing wrong with it. I've heard of people saving mega bucks on groceries. When they show the pictures, most of it is highly processed food or junk. So, they may be saving money but their health will probably suffer ion the long run.

It's good to be frugal but be wise in looking at the big picture to see if it's worth it.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This is the Psychology forum. Psychology is the study of human behavior.

The OP is wondering what psychological aspects make a person seek free items more than others, and, for example, stand in line for a very long time just to get a free but inexpensive item. Human behaviors have psychological aspects behind them.
Thinking about this and psychology is about what WE choose to delve into about other people and their actions. To spend so much energy on thinking about what others do is not productive and I find not necessary. Everyone has their little issues, some big ones and often comes from when they came into this life. Some come in with a silver spoon and some with a more rusty one. It all begins then is my belief, a lot of it.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Who doesn't like free stuff. As long as you're following the rules in getting it free, nothing wrong with it. I've heard of people saving mega bucks on groceries. When they show the pictures, most of it is highly processed food or junk. So, they may be saving money but their health will probably suffer ion the long run.

It's good to be frugal but be wise in looking at the big picture to see if it's worth it.
I have to laugh at how some people will drive extra miles to get cheaper gas by pennies say at Costco when they are spending time and money to get there. I see that a lot. So they drive miles to save 50cents or a dollar.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:46 PM

12,939 posts, read 9,551,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's really none of our business what others choose and why.
you are so right about that. Who goes around worrying about who's getting free stuff, I mean really, you must not have anything better to do. I don't even worry or notice anything like that, I just live my own life and worry about me. I wouldn't even waste my time over something like that, I'm too busy with my own life to notice. You would be surprised who is getting free stuff out there, behind closed doors and out of view. Life is way too short to be worrying about stuff like that, especially if no laws are being broken. So, if you buy one and get one free, or buy two and the 3rd one is free then what will you do.

Last edited by ipaper; 10-08-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 01:38 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,033,766 times
Reminds me of the old joke about two older ladies eating dinner in a restaurant:

Edna: "I think we should stop eating here, the food just doesn't taste good".

Sophie: "You're right, and the portions are soooo small!"

To the subject, I ate at Jason's Deli last night (all you can eat salad bar), and yes, I made two trips to the ice cream machine. I'm currently on a diet, and still stayed under my daily break-even point, so sue me (weekly splurge night to keep from going insane).

"Free stuff" is fun, it makes people think they are getting away with something (that they "beat the man"), or it makes them feel smarter than the average bear. Whatever the reason, it can be a source of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology