Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:12 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,983,007 times

Advertisements

I had a coworker like this. There were a bunch of us junior developers all starting out together, mostly early-mid 20s, and he just had this mature, responsible, with-it vibe compared to everyone else --- in a nice way, not a rigid way. I felt like any project he was on would probably turn out good. It probably helped that he had a shaved head, it made him look older.

It's interesting, the impressions people can project unwittingly. I've been told many times that I have a calming, low-stress vibe, like I help reduce people's anxiety just by being there. My female friends say it makes them feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 03:59 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,592,835 times
Shoe size. Sometimes a 10 fits me, other times a 12.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:32 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yep...

How do we figure out a way to quantify this?????? Any ideas????
This is the work of a psychologist, Chowhound. It's called psychometrics -

"n. The branch of psychology that deals with the design, administration, and interpretation of quantitative tests for the measurement of psychological variables such as intelligence, aptitude, and personality traits.

n. The design of psychological tests to measure intelligence, aptitude and personality; and the analysis and interpretation of their results.

n. any branch of psychology concerned with psychological measurements"

American Heritage Dictionary

They learn to administer and interpret a barrage of tests which have proved valid for measuring these intangibles.

Here's a boring explanation of how it works:

https://opentextbc.ca/researchmethod...l-measurement/

I guess this is why people call the study of behavior and personality an art rather than a science. Even though perceptive people can intuit these things they are difficult to quantify.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:26 AM

720 posts, read 427,637 times
Quote:
You ever meet certain people in your life travels where they have something, some kind of thing that separates them from the many many other people you've met or dealt with. Recently on a project I was working on a guy I had to deal with had some kind of thing about him that has made me think about him off and on, LOL, and not in that ways folks, purely hetro.

He's not a big guy, 5'8" or so, probably weighs about a 150 or so. There was something about this dude that said leader. Something in how he carried himself. I can't really quantify it, hence the thread title. He has this weird confidence and purely in a mellow way, no bravado or ego or whatever, again, can't really say exactly what it is. He's not even in a leadership role in his job, just an electrical contractor.

He's the type of guy that men will follow and lead into battle. I guess some people have that "it" factor that I've heard mentioned before, but I always thought of it in terms of movie stars or whatever. This guy has got a way about him that I wouldn't want to screw around with him, again, not cocky and macho but a cool confidence that I've rarely ever seen in my life.

I wonder how we sense these things, is it body language, the way they speak, physical traits??? Maybe all of the above, who knows?

Thoughts.
I don't think it's easily quantifiable because what you are referring to is an individual experience. It's kind of subjective.
The same traits you said, would maybe be seen as weak by others. If you appreciate calm disciplined people, who don't have a problem leading even if it's not their position, then you find this guy attractive. Others may find him boring.

Generally I've heard of a personality model called the big five with the acronym OCEAN - openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, neuroticism.
I find it interesting, but again it's difficult to be objective about such things, because different people may understand different things with some of these traits.

https://youtu.be/aLx8EASkSeQ

Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,020 times
People user, two faced, con artist, narcissistic.

I have worked with many people over my life time and now believe in the term "to good to be true". A half truth is a complete lie, a lie of omission.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:49 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
You ever meet certain people in your life travels where they have something, some kind of thing that separates them from the many many other people you've met or dealt with.

(snip)

I wonder how we sense these things, is it body language, the way they speak, physical traits??? Maybe all of the above, who knows?
It's called "charisma" and one can break down some of the traits, but how to define it holistically is indeed elusive.

I have a sampler on my desk to my right, created by me past few months. It says, "Zero (Foxes) Given" ....or something close to that. That's how I roll, personal excellence vs. self-sacrifice at every turn required of true leadership. People with charisma engage and want to be part of things, they're competent, they don't hesitate, have ideas, are not petty, and ....there I go listing off traits again.

Some are leaders, others not, and we rise to our own level of incompetence I'm firmly convinced. "Energy expended" has something to do with it, but that too is a vague term. You just ....know.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:19 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Some are leaders, others not, and we rise to our own level of incompetence I'm firmly convinced. "Energy expended" has something to do with it, but that too is a vague term. You just ....know.
I think it's important not to judge by first impression. First impressions are useful. But in order to be more accurate in assessing a person you need behavioral evidence of your impression.

That wisdom is as old as the Bible itself - "By their fruits you shall know them."

Just shows how confusing it can be to us in how we interpret characteristics of other humans. Gohangr says what looks like a strength to one person can look like a weakness to another. And that's a cultural interpretation.

Superficial charm and charisma are a hallmark of sociopathy yet most of society is attracted to those characteristics. You just have to watch and see how the person uses their strengths and weaknesses. Because all strengths and weaknesses can be used to advantage or disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology