Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times

Advertisements

No monotony here.

Retired, every day is an adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
I'm still working from home and it's the run-up to Christmas. My busiest time of year.

I keep a stack of unread books handy and that is some solace. But what I really want to do is to go to places I've enjoyed in the past. I can't because our city is tearing down existing buildings (thus evicting the businesses) and building housing. Thousands of housing units and that is no exaggeration. A cute bakery cafe goes away, then another, and another, and new bakery cafes do not come into existence. In an adjoining town, the city sold the main public parking lot to California's largest developer. It will be all condos. And now parking is impossible to find.

I get away from the madness occasionally by driving over the ridge to Half Moon Bay or Pescadero, which is a quaint little town with some well-known foodie establishments. Nobody destroys businesses to build housing there because there are laws against untrammeled development.

I'm in Arizona at the moment. What will help break the monotony of daily life when I get home is packing for our upcoming move to our new house in Scottsdale. And trying to figure out what to take and what to leave behind as we will have two homes for a while.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Life can be a grind sometimes.

What do you use to keep your life interesting? How do you infuse variety into it on a daily basis?

I don't mean things like taking vacations, but stuff you do over the course of a regular work week to make it more enjoyable.

For me, reading books, writing blog entries, and listening to music make the day far more pleasant. They especially come in handy when I'm forced to wait a long time for something -- whether it's that I'm stuck in traffic, at the doctor's office, on the plane, or on jury duty.

How about you?
You covered a good part of it. Also--taking a walk through a nice park after work, to get a little slice of nature, or meditating in the back yard, if you have a yard that's conducive to that (I like big trees that rustle in the breeze). For years, I was involved in a music group, and we had rehearsals 2 evenings/week. That was great! Hobbies can d a lot to make life interesting and enjoyable.

Late spring and summer, I'd ride my bike to the local lake in town, and would circle the lake on the jogging/biking trail, then stop and take a swim. That was my seasonal after-work routine for years.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:42 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:

What do you use to keep your life interesting? How do you infuse variety into it on a daily basis?

I don't mean things like taking vacations, but stuff you do over the course of a regular work week to make it more enjoyable.

For me, reading books, writing blog entries, and listening to music make the day far more pleasant. They especially come in handy when I'm forced to wait a long time for something -- whether it's that I'm stuck in traffic, at the doctor's office, on the plane, or on jury duty.

How about you?
Hobbies that express my creativity. My cat, Tommy.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
The only time I've suffered from monotony was when I've had to punch a clock. I guess that means I've dealt with a lot of monotony. All the professional jobs I've had were working with people, though, and because of that were usually not boring.

It's that having to get up at the same time every day and be at the same place every day schedule that I don't like. And the grinding predictability of the bureaucracy. That's what produces monotony for me. My working style is more butterfly-like than ant-like.

I'm retired now and give myself permission to do whatever I want whenever I want. It sounds like hedonism but I watch out for that by trying to keep a balance between serving and being served. Balance in everything is key to a healthy life, I believe.

I can honestly say I very rarely experience the feeling of boredom. My interests are eclectic and multitudinous.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:

How about you?
I am busy enough working overtime (paid) and running my typical errands that I don't really have time to get "bored", I am happy to be maintaining my health and putting away money.

I do take long weekends - when I work a weekend, we get a comp day the week before and the week after, creating a 3-day weekend for each. I will use only 1 vacation day and end up with 4 consecutive days off to travel to one of my favorite spots within a few hours' drive, and get away from the city.

Current relationship is very good, so that helps

Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
I don't have time for monotony. If I ever have time to be bored, I read and rest.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:47 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Family, friends, church, hobbies, sports, music, books

Old 10-15-2018, 05:48 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
doing something today that i did not do yesterday.
doing something this week i did not do last week.
....month.
....year.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:01 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Alcohol, always alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology