Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,351,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think that can explain it alone. Yes, decades ago your theory would be correct, but for the past 10, 15 years or so kids have been getting correctly diagnosed, yet the numbers are increasing even within that time frame. If the numbers are higher in 2018 vs 2010, that is not due to any misdiagnoses "back then", but IMO are truly reflective of increasing rates of autism occurring.
Even today, not all kids are being diagnosed, especially girls. I have friends that weren't diagnosed until their adult years. My ex-husband included. My second daughter wasn't formally diagnosed until 11 because she didn't meet specific criteria most commonly seen in boys. If the statistics show an increase, it could point to more awareness or meeting current diagnostic criteria. Also, it wasn't until maybe five years ago that Aspergers was absorbed into ASD. Many still treat Aspergers as a distinctly different diagnosis. One person uses "autism" to mean one thing, but another interprets it differently.

I've known of girls being diagnosed with everything but ASD because they don't exhibit "typical" traits. They're often more likely to be diagnosed with GAD, SAD, ADD, Bipolar I/II, BPD, etc. A dear friend didn't receive her diagnosis until she was 32.

My daughter wouldn't have been diagnosed in 2010 because she didn't meet the then-accepted diagnostic criteria, though I knew she was on the spectrum. I've known since her early toddler years. But it took until 2017 to get that diagnosis.

I don't doubt there could be other factors apart from a hereditary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,733,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Quick tip: Look under the parent's eyes. Are there shadows there? And sorrow and "they'll never understand, and by the way, what the hell happens when I die and this now-adult child is left to the mercy of underpaid caretakers"?
If there is one thing in life that I can say truly scares me, it is this. Am I up to the task of preparing him for this inevitable time? The irony is when the times does come, I'll never even know.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
https://www.autismspeaks.org/dsm-5-criteria

Old 10-18-2018, 06:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
Oh thank you for seeing this & posting ... it’s in ... mainstream.

I didn’t even finish reading this thread; I have to save it as many ways possible in case it disappears! It’s mainstream? OMG. It’s in mainstream.

I’m sure heads are rolling as I speak. In the early 1990’s, long before this youngest son of mine was born; I witnessed first-hand the malfeasance that would later become commonplace towards those that tried to sound the alarm. I know this did not “just” happen. Thank you, whoever you are.

It’s in mainstream.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:16 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,927,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh thank you for seeing this & posting ... it’s in ... mainstream.

I didn’t even finish reading this thread; I have to save it as many ways possible in case it disappears! It’s mainstream? OMG. It’s in mainstream.

I’m sure heads are rolling as I speak. In the early 1990’s, long before this youngest son of mine was born; I witnessed first-hand the malfeasance that would later become commonplace towards those that tried to sound the alarm. I know this did not “just” happen. Thank you, whoever you are.

It’s in mainstream.
What does this post mean?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,606,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Part of the reason is because there have been many undiscovered or "undiscovered" cases prior. Another reason is the broad definition of being on the spectrum and that there is now more support for varying degrees. It's still mostly supported for lower functioning, but there are a few programs or so for higher functioning people as well where with a mentor, they can thrive like "normal people" in the real world or even innovate in their own way in the workplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I completely agree. I know of children whose parents say they have autism. They seemed like normal young rambunctious kids with a lot of energy to me. They took them to the doctor, they diagnosed autism, prescribed some drugs and now the kids are basically little weirdos sitting by themselves staring out he window. They are obviously drugged up. They drug them up so they don't have to deal with an active kid bouncing all over the place. It is pretty sad to see because they more or less miss out on their childhood. It is probably one of the reasons we have all these young people shooting places up all the time. They get a little older, get off the drugs and don't know how to cope with real life and people.
OMG. I am not believing this but I have heard it from some others that spoke out of complete ignorance. Walk a mile in the shoes of a parent, grandparent or guardian that has a child that is on the spectrum and they are doing their damndest to love, train, guide and provide for them.

Quote:
I woekred with autistic kids. It is real and not just parents worrying. It’s the last thing they want to hear. It’s diagnosed when kids are two or three well before socialization is a concern. Most normally the biggest clue is a child who is still non-verbal at that age, but other telltale signs include inability to make eye contact, walking on toes, etc. kids are not diagnosed as autistic simply for being introverted.
Knowledgible (?) post.

Quote:
Drugs are not commonly used for autism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
While your experience is your own, I know a fairly staggering number of autistic children and adults and have for more than 10 years now, and I know no child or adult who is autistic and drugged up to staring out a window. Parents of autistic people try to draw them out, not make them sit alone. Literally not one. Period.

I'm not angry because I realize you're lucky enough not to have had to deal with this, as evidenced by your lack of understanding of autism.

Also, while you may know "of"/occasionally see kids who just seem to be rambunctious, you don't know whether at home the child is harming herself, hysterical/inconsolable over a sensory trigger, can not concentrate in class for more than a few seconds and while not intellectually delayed is, as a result, falling far, far behind, or whether the parents only take the child out "on a good day."

Quick tip: Look under the parent's eyes. Are there shadows there? And sorrow and "they'll never understand, and by the way, what the hell happens when I die and this now-adult child is left to the mercy of underpaid caretakers"? Does the parent smile hen you talk about how your own child is going to homecoming (hers never will) or learning to drive (his never will) or getting married (she can't even take care of herself, much less a husband and possibly kids) - but she's happy for you anyway, she begrudges you nothing because by God any news is always good news to hear, when you're dealing daily with scary news? If so you're probably dealing with the parent of an autistic child who is dealing with someone who won the genetic lottery as far as children and NEVER has to actually understand. :thup: You're welcome. Now you know!

Another go-to tell: the parent normally seems to be happy, he adores his child, he knows his child well...and yes, is "hovering" (because the child may sniff another child, yell inappropriately, etc. and the father must be there to be the barrier), but when he encounters someone judgmental - someone like the author of the "it's overDXd post" - that's when the sunlight goes out of the parent's eyes, and the sorrow comes in. Because for, like, all of ten minutes the parent was able to pretend he was an average parent, and he was "allowed" to just love and (whoa!) be proud of his child - like other parents do. But then someone came along with judgments to knock it all down. Thanks, folks, for keeping it real! It's probably a tremendous help. Otherwise, who knows...if we didn't constantly encounter nasty judgment and the side-eye we might just get comfortable. Who knows, things might all fall apart then.

Note to autism families who have very young kids and you get that nasty sarcastic side-eye all the time: it'll get better. When your child is much older, his/her "differences" will be way, way, way more apparent than they were when s/he was a toddler or young school-age child. A four-year-old who yells out a random comment from a children's cartoon and waves her hands isn't such a big deal but wait until she's 31 and doing it in Walmart. Et voila! No more sarcastic side-eye. They'll finally believe you then. The sarcastic glare will turn into "oh my GOD. I feel so sorry for you. Ugh, so glad I'm not you!" So hold on, better days are coming!

Ugh, time to step away from the post.
Thank you for this post. I think I may love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
If there is one thing in life that I can say truly scares me, it is this. Am I up to the task of preparing him for this inevitable time? The irony is when the times does come, I'll never even know.
I live with this fear every night, praying for guidance and trying to do my best, I hope.

I cant read anymore on this thread.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
Quote:
I don't think that can explain it alone. Yes, decades ago your theory would be correct, but for the past 10, 15 years or so kids have been getting correctly diagnosed, yet the numbers are increasing even within that time frame. If the numbers are higher in 2018 vs 2010, that is not due to any misdiagnoses "back then", but IMO are truly reflective of increasing rates of autism occurring.
Exactly. We were “better at diagnosing” in the 1980’s & 1990’s.

Not that it would even be relevant to the rate. Autism rates are not calculated by diagnosis. It’s the one indicator NOT used, although they do track how many kids with autism have had a formal diagnosis.

Autism rates are calculated based on how many 8 year olds are receiving services; including medical, physical, occupational, social or educational & the 2013 changes in the DSM are resulting in LESS children being formally diagnosed; not more. Yet the number of children requiring support services for DSM identified behaviors; are increasing.

That is why they assess 8 year olds; so that the odds are that someone, even if not the parent; has been on the record identifying that child as requiring support.

The same sub-agency of the CDC that tracks autism also tracks hearing & vision disabilities, intellectual disabilities & cerebral palsy & they are unlikely to be confounded by the very unique presentation of autism.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:31 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,812,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I diagnose a case of sloppy-made-up-story-for-purposes-of-argument. Can be cured by a daily dose of honesty.
I diagnose a jackass. ^^

The two I mentioned with the kids are my cousins.

Quote:
Drugs are not commonly used for autism.
Funny, pretty much everything you read about autism mentions drug treatment for aggression, disruptive behavior, depression, etc.
Here is an example from the autism science foundation: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-A3eYh9adNX3Yk

I didn't say autism doesn't exist or that there aren't children that really do have autism. What I said is a lot of these so called cases are just hyperactive children with parents that are too lazy or incapable of dealing with their children so they seek to have them diagnosed with something. The result is they put them on drugs to control the behavior and make their lives easier. I know a couple of them first hand so I'm not going to debate whether or not this happens. It is also extremely hard to believe that 1 in every 55 kids are abnormal and have autism. With a number that high, it points to normal behavior for children of that age but they are on the extreme side. This is just how our society in the US is now though, you have to put a label on them and throw drugs and treatment at them and put them in front of a video game or tv so you don't have to parent children.

Last edited by dijkstra; 10-19-2018 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 07:35 AM

1,183 posts, read 703,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I diagnose a jackass.

The two I mentioned with the kids are my cousins.
Uh huh. So looking at your post either your cousins are married to each other and its their kids you are talking about, and they are both autistic and both prescribed "drugs" or both your cousins, separately, happen to have autistic children who both happened to have the same diagnosis and prescribed treatment and both sit in the window.

Most of us can smell a liar three threads away, and additional lies just make that hole deeper.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,812,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Uh huh. So looking at your post either your cousins are married to each other and its their kids you are talking about, and they are both autistic and both prescribed "drugs" or both your cousins, separately, happen to have autistic children who both happened to have the same diagnosis and prescribed treatment and both sit in the window.

Most of us can smell a liar three threads away, and additional lies just make that hole deeper.
Well the problem with your theory is they are both female cousins. Anyway, yes they were both diagnosed as autistic and were prescribed drugs. One is a few years older than the other. Both sat quietly at family functions after they began taking the medications (not at the same time obviously because of the age gap). The older is now in college and has gotten away from his crazy mother (my cousin) and is off the medications. Not surprisingly, he is a pretty normal guy and extremely smart, he has come out of his shell and actually talks and interacts with everyone at family functions (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.). I had never really heard him speak much until he moved off to college and go off the medications.

The other is a teenager now so we have yet to see how that one turns out.

Every family have one or two of these types in them. These happen to be ours.

Anyway, you can stop trying to be a wiseass now. I will not respond to your frivolous posts anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology