Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:53 PM

779 posts, read 466,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Even if they were newlyweds it isn't appropriate to speak that way about a spouse to acquaintances.
And what if she doesn't mind? Interesting that you can surmise what their relationship is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 08:36 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,217,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
So I've got this acquaintance, he is maybe 9 years older than me, like mid 50's. Great guy, but every other conversation, he somehow manages to squeeze in some quip about how hot his was still is, or how good her body looks as she works out 2 hr a day. I really don't know how I am supposed to react to a statement like that.
It's strange because the only other guy I knew who used to talk like that was a Dbag.
My wife is pretty and all that too, but I don't throw that fact in to others on a regular basis.

What is this behavior called?
Call his bluff. Next time he mentions it, say "Yeah man, you're wife is smoking hot. You think you'll ever get divorced."

Step back, and watch the reaction.

Have fun!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:13 AM

951 posts, read 1,134,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
So I've got this acquaintance, he is maybe 9 years older than me, like mid 50's. Great guy, but every other conversation, he somehow manages to squeeze in some quip about how hot his was still is, or how good her body looks as she works out 2 hr a day. I really don't know how I am supposed to react to a statement like that.
It's strange because the only other guy I knew who used to talk like that was a Dbag.
My wife is pretty and all that too, but I don't throw that fact in to others on a regular basis.

What is this behavior called?
Better than one of my teachers who always described his wife as "ugly" to all his students. We used to wonder if she was really ugly or not for him to keep describing her as that.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:09 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,675,602 times
The last time I heard a guy talking about how "hot" his girl was, everyday and everyday...One day he brought some "pictures" of her to work and all the guys were crowded around like it was the last steak on grill..... Later he asked if I wanted to see her "picture." It was her laying down, full blown exposed with nothing left to the imagination. I freaked out a bit and told him I didn't want to see your wife's private lady parts. He always came in with bite marks on his chest and proudly showed them off to me. I don't want to see your bite-bruises or your girl in a compromising position.

Your friend is either getting lots of sex and wants you to know about it .....or isn't any and wants you to think he is...

Old 10-24-2018, 12:23 PM

19,396 posts, read 12,039,904 times
I remember some of those guys before the days of sexual harassment at work. Some guy was showing off scratch marks on his back to everyone. Ugh. A couple other guys would show pictures of their girlfriends waiting for a reaction. I always just said they were pretty. Some of the co-workers were honest and told one of the guys his gf really wasn't very attractive. He came to me for sympathy and I said they were wrong, she's pretty. Sigh. Insecure men.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM

18,860 posts, read 13,748,746 times
I'm shocked how negative this thread is. Why can't a man be extremely attracted to his wife and be proud of it without being an insecure person? Jeez.

I brag about my wife all the time; she deserves to be bragged about!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-26-2018, 08:29 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,591,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm shocked how negative this thread is. Why can't a man be extremely attracted to his wife and be proud of it without being an insecure person? Jeez.

I brag about my wife all the time; she deserves to be bragged about!
Haha, hey I think it's great when someone isn't constantly complaining about their significant other.

I can't say that I brag about my girlfriend all of the time, I don't know, it just never occurs to me because when I'm hanging out with my guy friends, we're gaming, talking about other things, etc. Plus, I know my GF is hot, I'm not really anxious to hear another guy say, "Yeah dude, your GF is really hot." Uhh, things just got awkward. So then how do I expect them to respond? "That's good you are so into her." That makes me think, wait, what? Does he NOT think she's hot? Like, that's crazy, come on now. So then the poor guy can't respond at all without somehow bothering me. I just put him into this weird, awkward situation from which there is little escape. I'm not even sure what I'd hope to hear back. I really am not. I am racking my brain thinking if there's any response to that statement that would be appropriate or that I wouldn't mind hearing. I guess maybe a simple, "You have a good one, man. Hang onto her!" That would be polite, appropriate, and get the job done, but yikes, I don't want to make someone feel awkward.

I suppose there have been times where we were talking about, ahem, more X-rated stuff, I may have said something but only when the other person mentioned something about their girlfriend first, and that's basically only with my best friend. Otherwise, I'd never talk that way, but I've known my best friend twice as long as my GF almost.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:40 PM

408 posts, read 424,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Haha, hey I think it's great when someone isn't constantly complaining about their significant other.

I can't say that I brag about my girlfriend all of the time, I don't know, it just never occurs to me because when I'm hanging out with my guy friends, we're gaming, talking about other things, etc. Plus, I know my GF is hot, I'm not really anxious to hear another guy say, "Yeah dude, your GF is really hot." Uhh, things just got awkward. So then how do I expect them to respond? "That's good you are so into her." That makes me think, wait, what? Does he NOT think she's hot? Like, that's crazy, come on now. So then the poor guy can't respond at all without somehow bothering me. I just put him into this weird, awkward situation from which there is little escape. I'm not even sure what I'd hope to hear back. I really am not. I am racking my brain thinking if there's any response to that statement that would be appropriate or that I wouldn't mind hearing. I guess maybe a simple, "You have a good one, man. Hang onto her!" That would be polite, appropriate, and get the job done, but yikes, I don't want to make someone feel awkward.

I suppose there have been times where we were talking about, ahem, more X-rated stuff, I may have said something but only when the other person mentioned something about their girlfriend first, and that's basically only with my best friend. Otherwise, I'd never talk that way, but I've known my best friend twice as long as my GF almost.
I agree I would rather listen to this than someone complaining about their wife (sadly seems to be more common). It's strange though and a bit objectifying; is he trying to make you jealous? It seems bragging of any type comes from a place of insecurity -- maybe he feels like he's getting older himself, so his hot wife is kind of his trophy. This would get annoying for sure but at least he loves his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology