Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

I love these studies.

We have just discovered people dislike liars because they tend to lie.

Oh and another new study = people dislike bigots because they are often bigoted.

Let's spend some more money.

My daughter is convinced there are simply too many people and too few meaningful jobs that need to be done, so we just create professions and jobs that are really pretty worthless. Like conducting studies to prove the obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 AM

241 posts, read 95,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I love these studies.

Oh and another new study = people dislike bigots because they are often bigoted.

My daughter is convinced there are simply too many people and too few meaningful jobs that need to be done, so we just create professions and jobs that are really pretty worthless. Like conducting studies to prove the obvious.

well, it basically defines a hypocrite as a special typre of liar because hypocrites say/do something that is hypocritical to their advocation, argument or action

i didnt create this thread to shame hypocrites and liars because i assume that all humans are fallible

i assume that every person has told a white lie or a blatant big lie

hey, i have told many white lies myself; therefore, i am not perfect and fallible. i would be a hypocrite if i claim that i never told a white lie

it would be hypocritically self righteous of me to shame or judge a liar

i have met people who suddenly become perfect when discovering that someone lied. they gossip, become self righteous and tout about their new morals, even though they wont admit that they tell the same lies...

unlike most people, i will gladly admit that i have told some lies as well as white lies

excuse unedited grammar

Last edited by spiros7; 11-02-2018 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-02-2018, 11:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Depending on the person, I might simply lose respect for the person w ho pretends to be something they are not.

But aren’t we all somewhat hypocritical? Most of us believe we are basically decent people, but I am sure we can all remember things we have done that were bad.

But, the person who pretends he or she is a product of the upper class, or is generous, or is horrified by cheating is only fooling him or herself. Everyone around this person will figure out he or she is really lower class, or a skinflint, or is a cheat.

It is hard to respect people like that.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:48 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is the ugliest kind of projection. A wise person told me, "That which you criticize in others, is in fact that which you hate about yourself but are unwilling to confront." I think it's true.
But aren't you criticizing him for his hypocrisy?

Old 11-03-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Depending on the person, I might simply lose respect for the person w ho pretends to be something they are not.

But aren’t we all somewhat hypocritical? Most of us believe we are basically decent people, but I am sure we can all remember things we have done that were bad.

But, the person who pretends he or she is a product of the upper class, or is generous, or is horrified by cheating is only fooling him or herself. Everyone around this person will figure out he or she is really lower class, or a skinflint, or is a cheat.

It is hard to respect people like that.

i assume that peoople become weary to a hypocrtical person who advocates something contrary to what they originally advocated. these hypocrites are more likely to be prominent people or people who constantly remind people of something while being blatant hypocrites

it is like a person who decries fascism yet the person is fascist

it is like a person who advocates civil rights while violating civil rights

it is like a person who decries jelly dounuts while eating jelly dounuts.

just bad examples that i used to make my point

Old 11-03-2018, 09:02 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Oh really??...who would have known...NOT!!!!

What I really dislike is the money spent on useless "studies" that tell us what we already know...even more so than I dislike a hypocrite.
You don't know that the study results would be what you expected without scientists performing the study in the first place Many, many experiments give scientists completely different results that what laymen expect. That is a big reason experiments are done.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I love these studies.

Apparently it is a bit more complicated than that since liars and bigots get elected to public office all the time.

So there may be other things going on that affect the judgement or perception that someone is bigoted or not? Yeah...if people were simple and obvious we wouldn't have the science of psychology, folks.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Apparently it is a bit more complicated than that since liars and bigots get elected to public office all the time.

So there may be other things going on that affect the judgement or perception that someone is bigoted or not? Yeah...if people were simple and obvious we wouldn't have the science of psychology, folks.

where does all this talk of bigotry derive from?

Old 11-03-2018, 01:30 PM

764 posts, read 392,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't dislike them because I feel deceived. I dislike them because they're a conjunction of holier-than-though judgmental attitude sometimes, and utter lack of realism or self awareness about their own actions and choices.

One person I am thinking of...

Says that the "welfare state" in this country is just a bunch of lazy people demanding handouts and they all need to get a job and stop trying to get money from the government. Yet... He has benefited from both welfare and private charity in his adult lifetime. And he's been on unemployment a number of times and doesn't make sincere efforts to find work until it runs out. And he took the government's money in abundance when in the military, and gets VA disability now.

"Handouts" are fine if they are landing in his hands, but they're despicable going to anyone else. Especially single mothers. We all know after all, that they conned the guy just to pop out a baby and get on the dole.

He constantly goes on and on complaining about women lying to him and cheating on him. But he has lied (and been caught lying a number of very significant times) and cheated (and, again, been caught doing so) yet he insists that he is Mr. "Honor, Loyalty, Integrity" and women are evil betrayers and men don't cheat like women do. If there is no evidence that a particular women has wronged him in this way, he will make some up and insist it is true.

Lying is fine, but only when he's doing it.

It is the ugliest kind of projection. A wise person told me, "That which you criticize in others, is in fact that which you hate about yourself but are unwilling to confront." I think it's true.
As far as welfare, capitalism has gotten a lot of people off welfare and given them their self esteem back.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:46 PM

481 posts, read 422,982 times
I resent hypocrites chiefly because they're (often) selfish and/or in denial of it.

Not to derail the thread, but one of the most egregious examples which always annoys me are people who have had abortions or pushed others to get abortions, and then are against abortions. You've reaped the economic advantages of not supporting a child, and then you just want to slam the door in everyone else's face. I ask them if they feel guilty at all, since they see it as murder, and I usually hear them point the finger at everyone else. The mind is excellent at shielding itself from blame.

Of course, the world is never as clear cut, and many show remorse, so I don't want to generalize them all.

There are plenty of examples though, everything from everyday personalities to the foreign policies of national government, hypocrisy is everywhere. Sometimes I wonder if being ideologically consistent is even worth anything nowadays besides a nice little mental pat on the back you can give yourself. I'm definitely a hypocrite in some ways, although once I recognize this, I try to scale my hypocritical behavior back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology