Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:43 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Same with pumpkin spice. It belongs in a pumpkin pie. I never understood why they are in EVERYTHING, from cereal to bread to candies to just about anything. Pumpkin spice is not that good in other items.
Honestly, I don't understand why people get so up in arms about pumpkin spice things. Pumpkin is a fall ingredient, and there's no reason it shouldn't be used in dishes other than pie. Pumpkin pie spice is cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice--all aromatic and flavorful in many preparations, from pancakes and cookies to meat rubs. Hating on pumpkin spice is just as much of a fad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 12:53 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Never diss the bacon.

I like pumpkin spice, but never go out of my way to really buy it seasonally.

I never understood the appeal of red velvet cake.

It's marketing. We demand new, and different, we LIKE variety.

Look at coconut oil, HUGE marketing campaign that worked very well.

Everything is fads, cloths, games, sports, tech, food......

Are you just noticing?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-03-2018, 01:00 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
I don’t feel the need to fit in but hum I LOVE bacon, not sure I’d buy a bacon shaped handbag or wallet thought but I can see why people would. Fads are fun, short lived but fun.

However you put bacon in cheddar scones, or bacon jam on biscuits, or bacon crumbles on salads or any other concoction count me IN, but then it’s never been a fad OR depended on marketing but a lifelong love of BACON.

Not a fan of pumpkin spice or red velvet cake no matter what marketing or fad status. I think it’s not so much people fall for fads but already have a taste for something and the marketing caters to that.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Never diss the bacon.

I like pumpkin spice, but never go out of my way to really buy it seasonally.

I never understood the appeal of red velvet cake.

It's marketing. We demand new, and different, we LIKE variety.

Look at coconut oil, HUGE marketing campaign that worked very well.

Everything is fads, cloths, games, sports, tech, food......

Are you just noticing?

I really prefer using coconut oil and ghee for cooking and it’s nice it became a fad and now doesn’t cost so much or hard to find, the plus side of fads.

Oh lol I agree never diss the bacon.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:12 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
I love bacon! And pumpkin spice! And red velvet! All delicious and YES PLEASE!

Re: pumpkin - scarcity is a factor. It's only available around here in the fall. (I'm in the Northeast US)

Old 11-03-2018, 01:12 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t feel the need to fit in but hum I LOVE bacon, not sure I’d buy a bacon shaped handbag or wallet thought but I can see why people would. Fads are fun, short lived but fun.

However you put bacon in cheddar scones, or bacon jam on biscuits, or bacon crumbles on salads or any other concoction count me IN, but then it’s never been a fad OR depended on marketing but a lifelong love of BACON.

Not a fan of pumpkin spice or red velvet cake no matter what marketing or fad status. I think it’s not so much people fall for fads but already have a taste for something and the marketing caters to that.

Bacon has been loved for centuries. I think it should be treated like champagne. You know how you cant call a sparkling wine a champagne unless it was comes from Champagne, France?

I think there should be a law that you cant call bacon 'bacon' unless it comes from a pig. I am so tired of ordering bacon only to be served some over-salted lunch meat that they are trying to pass off as bacon.

If someone wants a bacon-substitute, they surely know how to ask for one.

I recently saw a wedding show that featured a bacon bar.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Bacon has been loved for centuries. I think it should be treated like champagne. You know how you cant call a sparkling wine a champagne unless it was comes from Champagne, France?

I think there should be a law that you cant call bacon 'bacon' unless it comes from a pig. I am so tired of ordering bacon only to be served some over-salted lunch meat that they are trying to pass off as bacon.

If someone wants a bacon-substitute, they surely know how to ask for one.

I recently saw a wedding show that featured a bacon bar.

A bacon bar WOOT forget the cake

Old 11-03-2018, 02:02 PM

4,662 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Is pumpkin spice really a "fad," or is it an answer to previously unmet demand for food and drink that evoke the fall season? If you were to ask me if we're going to still have pumpkin spice beers 25 years from now, I would say yes.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:20 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK what you're talking about. These must be Texas fads, or Southern fads.
Or none of the above. Huge disconnect for me between title of thread and content of original post.

Fads are novel items that quickly come and go, while the items listed have been around for quite some time and aren't going away anytime soon. Except, perhaps, for red velvet cake.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:34 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Or none of the above. Huge disconnect for me between title of thread and content of original post.

Fads are novel items that quickly come and go, while the items listed have been around for quite some time and aren't going away anytime soon. Except, perhaps, for red velvet cake.
Well no - mashed potato and bacon bars at weddings have not been around a long time. They are currently fads that may or may not stand the test of time.

A lot of food fads have to do with diets - like the Keto Diet Halley Berry is currently on, that is also beneficial for epilepsy etc. High fat, high protein and low carb. Im not sure where veggies and fruit stand.

Another diet fad is the Paleo Diet. 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb, 1/2 fruit and veggies. Im not sure where fats stand.

Then you have your Jenny Craig & Nutrisystem Diet Plans which is processed diet food for the truly lazy.
Although to be fair, in our hectic lives that don't leave a lot of room for cooking, these diets have a niche market most definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology