Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
What about the "gluten free" fad? Gee whiz, that one got out control.

I wonder how many of these self-diagnosed gluten intolerants even know what gluten is. Do they not realize that people have been eating gluten forever without having any problems?
Now how can anyone say "people have been eating gluten forever and no problems"..we don't know that and gluten could have been and still may be a major cause for health issues, gut issues for sure.

I've gone bread free in my house, and buy gluten free crackers for my need for a cracker. And I see many foods are gluten free today.

And then there are comments from some folks saying, they would die if they went gluten free..I'm 80 and pretty darn healthy and so enjoy the flavor of gluten free crackers and snacks.

Thinking more on this subject and my life with wheat and gluten foods and living with chronic constipation.........and I had heard many yrs ago that laxatives are the #1 selling otc drugs due to a country of constipated people. So yes it could have been being raised on on the wheat products of breads, pastas, etc etc etc. My folks were always constipated and they gave me all the foods and themselves.

http://glutenfreehelp.info/gluten-fr...ding-the-link/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-11-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I about died laughing when I saw an ad online for a new shampoo and conditioner and saw the tagline that they were 'gluten free'. WTF...is hair turning gluten intolerant too?
<snip>
We have 4 people in my extended family with gluten issues. My sister in law actually did get a rash from her hair spray. Who would've thunk that they put gluten in freakin' hairspray?

It's a thing, it really is. All 4 have a different medical reason for being gluten free, and only two are biologically related....

Old 11-11-2018, 03:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
We have 4 people in my extended family with gluten issues. My sister in law actually did get a rash from her hair spray. Who would've thunk that they put gluten in freakin' hairspray?

It's a thing, it really is. All 4 have a different medical reason for being gluten free, and only two are biologically related....
Gluten is in so much, it's like a paste/thickener that holds stuff together...

Old 11-13-2018, 11:02 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
People arent very smart. They follow the crowd, like sheep.
It’s really not that simplistic, nor insulting. Things come in and out of fashion in every area food is no different. Just like for a while crocs were in fashion and everyone bought crocs. When hot yoga became a thing people started doing that. That game pickle ball became popular for a while. Cupcake stores. Hackey sack’s used to be in fashion and now they’re not as much. Finger fidgets were in fashion and now not so much. Escape rooms are the new popular thing to do replacing Pokémon Go and before that, geocaching.

The same thread title could be used to describe everything from food to entertainement to cars to clothes to vacation spots. That’s how it works. Something new comes out people try it spread the word about it then a lot of people try it that it becomes a trend. Some trends are temporary, in fact most of them are, and is few become permanently embedded in our society and culture.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-13-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 03:37 AM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Bacon is good. I get it. But it is not like MANIA good, where you see bacon in everything to even anything resembling bacon, like bacon wallet, bacon novelty items, "I love bacon" logos on coffee mugs, etc

Why do people "love" those kind of things? Is it a sense of trying to belong?
You clearly haven't eaten an actual real bacon, just the stuff you buy at the store, cut to strips.

A real bacon is based on relationship. On a farm, you get a cute little piglet, then spend a year feeding it till it fattens, then you finally butcher it (somewhat gory process).

Only then the smoking begins.

It took a great deal of work and getting your bands dirty, but the reward, once you take the slab of real bacon from the smoker -my,oh,my

So, yeah - you're right. Bacon from stores-meh...

Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Honestly, I don't understand why people get so up in arms about pumpkin spice things. Pumpkin is a fall ingredient, and there's no reason it shouldn't be used in dishes other than pie. Pumpkin pie spice is cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice--all aromatic and flavorful in many preparations, from pancakes and cookies to meat rubs. Hating on pumpkin spice is just as much of a fad.
If I understand this correctly, pumpkin is not an ingredient in pumpkin spice coffee drinks. The spices associated with pumpkin pie are in the drinks.

As to food fads, I tend not to pay attention to them. So, they don’t enter my thinking unless they become extremely pervasive. Food trends, I tend to notice. But fads, not so much.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:27 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Bacon is good. I get it. But it is not like MANIA good, where you see bacon in everything to even anything resembling bacon, like bacon wallet, bacon novelty items, "I love bacon" logos on coffee mugs, etc.

Same with pumpkin spice. It belongs in a pumpkin pie. I never understood why they are in EVERYTHING, from cereal to bread to candies to just about anything. Pumpkin spice is not that good in other items.

Also red velvet cake. What is so special about it?

Why do people "love" those kind of things? Is it a sense of trying to belong? Trying to "fit in"? I just bought a bag of those orange and black plain paper-wrapped peanut butter kisses called Mary Janes for myself at 50% off due to being after Halloween. It's famous for being the "most hated" candy. They aren't even bad. Do kids hate them because other kids do, or they are just "old-fashioned" and boring because there are no logos on the wrappers?
Kids hate them because they are given out by 'old' people, and they aren't usually very generous about it either. It's sort of like the difference between a McDonald's burger or real hamburger! Cheap and not very good.
Pumpkin spice is just cinnamon and nutmeg, it's great in a lot of things, but 'pumpkin spice' just sounds more catchy.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:35 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Kids hate them because they are given out by 'old' people, and they aren't usually very generous about it either. It's sort of like the difference between a McDonald's burger or real hamburger! Cheap and not very good.
Pumpkin spice is just cinnamon and nutmeg, it's great in a lot of things, but 'pumpkin spice' just sounds more catchy.
I somehow ended up with a container of "pumpkin spice" in my spice cabinet. I don't remember buying it. But I looked at the ingredients list, and it's more than cinnamon and nutmeg, which I love, it's the whole magical foursome of sweet spices--also to include ginger and cloves.

It's not that I love it flavoring everything I eat. Nah. But I wish everything in my life SMELLED like that. If I could get my home to perpetually smell like those things, with maybe a bit of vanilla, black tea, a hint of orange...oh, now that would be heaven. HEAVEN!

Old 11-21-2018, 05:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Bacon tastes good.
Pork chops taste good.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Yes, this one is a big time fad.

I about died laughing when I saw an ad online for a new shampoo and conditioner and saw the tagline that they were 'gluten free'. WTF...is hair turning gluten intolerant too?

There are some people who do a gluten free diet because they believe it is healthier though in quite a few cases the gluten free versions of the same foods are far lower in fiber and higher in sugar. Not to mention 2x more expensive.

I would die trying to go gluten free. One of my favorite snacks is a couple of handfuls of wheat cereal of various kinds; I just love the stuff. I eat wheat, soy, tree nuts, peanut butter and am not dead yet
People with celiac have no choice. It's an autoimmune condition as real and serious as multiple sclerosis, lupus, psoriasis, and type 1 diabetes. Those with celiac must either give up gluten-containing foods or destroy the villi in their intestines. It's no joke. Be grateful, Marie Joseph, that you do not have an autoimmune condition or severe allergy. Both are life-threatening conditions, and for those who don't have a choice but to avoid gluten, the availability of these products is a Godsend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology