Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,996,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Show genuine interest by being a good listener. Ask questions.

I've "been out there" for a long time, and run into very few men who know how to listen.

I know this because being a good listener has always gotten me good results. Even though they still don't listen, LOL.
This is a very important concept not only for dates but with friends, family, colleagues, literally everybody.

Don't be an alligator. (Big mouth, small ears.) It is important in all conversations to keep it near a 50/50 talking/listening. Nobody likes a person who hogs all the talking.

I've met narcissists where their talk/listen ratio was 95/5. I'd rather just have them send me an email. Or gimme the Cliff Notes.

Your date will not like it if you are a conversation hog. If I feel the convo slipping away from 50/50 (perhaps a shy woman) I start asking her questions to draw her out. This isn't a conscious effort but with everybody in all circumstances I endeavor to keep my talk/listen ratio to 50/50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 AM

102,064 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Eh... life happens. As my mother used to say 'it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.' In my case a disability gives me a perfect excuse not to participate in the dating game. I'd get a lot more grief from friends and family about opting out if my legs worked.
Awww, scrib! (((hugs)))

Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,592,902 times
Talking to the OP is like talking to a wall.

All of these people "giving" and he just ghosted everyone, basically.

I hate to waste my energy on someone who gives nothing in return. I have done it too much.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Talking to the OP is like talking to a wall.

All of these people "giving" and he just ghosted everyone, basically.

I hate to waste my energy on someone who gives nothing in return. I have done it too much.
Actually with 60 replies and OP's only 2 reply backs, OP is plainly a waste of time and typing.

I think my time will be better spent picking the lint out of my belly button or sorting my sock drawer.

Good luck with yer life OP. You'll need it.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,538,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Actually with 60 replies and OP's only 2 reply backs, OP is plainly a waste of time and typing.

I think my time will be better spent picking the lint out of my belly button or sorting my sock drawer.

In these kinds of posts, I just figure the inevitable "first post" OP just gets the ball rolling, bows out, then we are all talking to each other. So it's not a waste of time for me, as I get to hear from all of YOU.

We all roll along without another peep from the elusive OP.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:40 PM

We all know the phenomenon of the "one post wonder." And worse, they are often what I call "wall of post" (no paragraphs).

I suggest that everybody should cease posting until the OP returns and gives us more information. Otherwise there is no point in adding more replies to this topic.

In effect that would mean we responders closed the topic; no more posts until OP gives us good reason to continue wasting our collective time.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:08 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,323,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In these kinds of posts, I just figure the inevitable "first post" OP just gets the ball rolling, bows out, then we are all talking to each other. So it's not a waste of time for me, as I get to hear from all of YOU.

We all roll along without another peep from the elusive OP.
I agree. These discussions take on a life of their own. The person who starts them doesn't have any real ownership, in my opinion, nor any real responsibility to continue to participate, though that is a reasonable hope for those who respond directly or ask legitimate, clarifying questions. May not happen though.

Conversations meander, and I've often ignored threads for a few days because the the stated purpose in the title didn't interest me much only to check in and find the thread lost it's way and landed somewhere more interesting.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,141,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i have notice in life, you got to be 6'5 have a big black truck, beach house, a big boat, a harley to attract the women, and then to keep them, be mean to them , cheat on them, and other

the nice short dude , finish last, no they dont even get in the race
Bitter much?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:11 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,901,552 times
I was very much like you until 25, but then I found her. The weirdest thing is that other women dig me now that I'm unavailable.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:35 PM

1,593 posts, read 770,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

That assumes that OP is the only one trying to glean useful knowledge from the thread. He is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology