Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,843 times

Advertisements

I am 27 and never had a girlfriend or any sort of relationship with a woman so this is pretty much a non-issue.

However, even if a woman openly stated her interest in me, I would never be able to believe it. A part of me would always remind me that it couldn't possibly be true.

Is this weird in some way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 04:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyLibrary View Post
I am 27 and never had a girlfriend or any sort of relationship with a woman so this is pretty much a non-issue.

However, even if a woman openly stated her interest in me, I would never be able to believe it. A part of me would always remind me that it couldn't possibly be true.

Weird?

By definition, yeah, it's unusual, since the norm in our society is to couple up, and it's unfortunate since it means you apparently don't value yourself enough to believe that another person could want to be with you.

Sounds more appropriate for the Psychology subforum.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:

What's weird is that you are typing on your computer instead of having followed up with her and see if it might develop into a date. All it has to be is to meet at a coffee shop and chat over coffee or whatever.

Why didn't you do that?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
What's weird is that you are typing on your computer instead of having followed up with her and see if it might develop into a date. All it has to be is to meet at a coffee shop and chat over coffee or whatever.

Why didn't you do that?
Her? Who's her?

This is purely hypothetical.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 PM

17,747 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Why didn't you do that?
It's not weird, IMO. The OP has serious self-esteem issues. What you're suggesting very likely isn't realistic in the OP's mind. He's here asking questions in an attempt to understand himself. That's a good way to get started working on these issues.

And I agree that this should probably be in the Psychology section.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:05 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,697 times
No, it's not "weird." It's very common for people to have insecurities that slowly erode away aspects of their self-confidence. I think most people suffer from this. I think we are all in good company.

That said, I have found that, typically, most people are their worst and most harsh critics and naysayers when they look to various aspects of their lives, e.g., physical appearance, intelligence, education level, home they live in, job and the list goes on, wherein they themselves see or feel or believe they are deficient in some way. With that mind skew, they then feel or believe that others see in them or their lives what they themselves do. People cannot make you feel shame for something you yourself do not feel shame about. Get it?

It's a lot of words to say that I think you most certainly are worth knowing, spending time with and loving. I mean that, sincerely. I just think you don't see that, but it's true. There is something to love and desire about almost everyone. You just have to find the woman who sees how truly special and unique and lovely you are.

You are not as unlovable and worthless as you think and feel you are. It's the opposite.

Young man, let someone love you. Stop getting in your own way. Let someone love you.

Last edited by self-made; 11-03-2018 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-03-2018, 05:09 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's not weird, IMO. The OP has serious self-esteem issues. What you're suggesting very likely isn't realistic in the OP's mind. He's here asking questions in an attempt to understand himself. That's a good way to get started working on these issues.

What? No one here can suggest a therapist if they think his issue is deep-seeded and complex?

He could be just shy and innocent. Sometimes it hard to imagine yourself in a relationship until you wake up one day and find yourself talking to someone who seems interested in you.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Weird?

By definition, yeah, it's unusual, since the norm in our society is to couple up, and it's unfortunate since it means you apparently don't value yourself enough to believe that another person could want to be with you.

Sounds more appropriate for the Psychology subforum.
I just believe I have both feet on the ground when it comes to this.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
I just believe I have both feet on the ground when it comes to this.
What does "both feet on the ground" mean to you?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:27 PM

17,747 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
What? No one here can suggest a therapist if they think his issue is deep-seeded and complex?

He could be just shy and innocent. Sometimes it hard to imagine yourself in a relationship until you wake up one day and find yourself talking to someone who seems interested in you.
I don't understand your comments in relation to my post. And it's deep-seated, not deep-seeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology