Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times

Advertisements

What does it mean when I peel the skin off of someone with my bare hands? I have had that dream more than once. They are always bad people. I am not trying to rip apart friends or good people. These are evil dream strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I notice on the Food and Drink forum, there are "what are you drinking now" and "what's for lunch" running threads. I wonder if anyone has every tried -- or there'd be any interest in -- a dream interpretation thread. I know I'm terrible at that and would welcome others' input, particularly those with a knack or talent for it. Thoughts?
The best book on the subject was written in 1979 by Gayle Delaney. It's called Living Your Dreams. I swear, a better book on the basics of dream interpretation hasn't been written since. Her "dream interview" method is really effective.

Dream interpretation does take some work, but if you're diligent about it, you'll see great results.

Most public libraries have the book, as does Amazon.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 PM

919 posts, read 847,880 times
Quote:
Dream interpretation does take some work, but if you're diligent about it, you'll see great results.
Aw geez, can't I just enjoy my dreams without making them into work? I want to wake up and understand instantly what they mean. Not write them down (or type them up) and laboriously overanalyze them. Is there a book for that?

Old 11-24-2018, 09:03 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I notice on the Food and Drink forum, there are "what are you drinking now" and "what's for lunch" running threads. I wonder if anyone has every tried -- or there'd be any interest in -- a dream interpretation thread. I know I'm terrible at that and would welcome others' input, particularly those with a knack or talent for it. Thoughts?
For me, there's dream interpretation and then, there are dream triggers.

I think the best approach of interpretation is to think about what is occupying your thoughts in reality and then, figure out what memories would be most associated with those feelings. A common one is being back in school and wondering about that class you have not been in forever and how are you going to pass (had that one, in part, last night). This dream has been described as feeling unprepared about something in real life. We dream about being back in school for being unprepared, such as for a test, was something that often happened in such.

So-o, the dream I had last night was about wondering about that class but then I had to fly, Supergirl style, from the East to West coast before I could get back to address that class. I suppose that traveling aspect might have been part of the current holidays where I still have to return to work for two days to check on systems. That is, the current reality situation is pulling on a memory from school where I have so much to do, 4th of July is on Wednesday and I have to go home but then, face a recital on Thursday.

Maybe. As far as the Supergirl flying style reference? I wasn't actually Supergirl but so said so others can picture something.

Well, that might get into dream triggers. What event happened in real life that would cause a certain thought to influence the dreams? I was walking by the theatre building where I first started acting and thinking about my first acting prof. In one of his early lessons, he put us through an imagination scene where we were in an airport terminal, getting ready to board our flights and ....9/11 was happening on the news. For that scene, I was already in my fabulous animal personalty, winged unicorn, and "heard the voices" of, "Do not board for something bad is going on. Come home to us in your own form. You are immortal and can survive anything but if a plane goes down and you are on it, it will be difficult to continue as you are now.".

With those thoughts active in my head, they could have had an input to the dream last night. They were a dream trigger.

Maybe.

One other thing that in my dreams, death means nothing. I operate on either side equally well.

I had one dream last week where I had broken firewall security and because of it, the computers got infected. Discovered, they were asking me why I had done it and instead of admitting, I flung myself out the window. While others were talking about my death, of what would make me do that, I was pondering those I had left behind and how to re-establish the bureaucracy of "me" to continue. I mean, when you die, you just can't go back doing what you did before.

AS IT TURNED OUT IN THE DREAM, I had been an operative on deep cover, for over 8 years, which would explain why I couldn't remember who I was before. My cover? Jadzia Dax and now that part of it had been revealed, that I was an agent construction, a total lie, that everyone thought that they knew so well, so completely, I was going around, alive again, laughing at them at having fooled them all.

SHRUG, I guess, such a shallow personalty. As far as the triggers go, I am not certain, but it might have been (not sure what order, which came first) the TV I was watching such as Kojak and "Girl in the River" and "Web of Death", catching a glimpse of Red Dwarf "Back to Reality", being tempted at work to access nsfw sites (but now with the shift change, there is no cover story for doing so), and Dax is common enough to me.

Dying is nothing in my dreams.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-24-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 04:54 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
I have a recurring dream about strange cats showing up in my house and I don't know how they got there. I like cats (and I have just one), but it's not a pleasant dream where I'm happy about having extra cats in my house. Instead, it's creepy and disturbing because they just appear out of nowhere (no doors or windows were open as far as I can tell). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I look at lots of cats on Instagram every day. lol

Old 11-29-2018, 09:09 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
I had an awful nightmare last night - I was sleeping in a bed and "something evil" inhabited my body. I could not move. I was terrified. I tried to cry out, but the sound would not come forward.

I have a recurring dream of seeing a lion or tiger outside. It is roaming the neighborhood or in the woods. An unexpected place, where it does not belong.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,918,994 times
I'm just lurking here, but have a request:
E-Twist... please keep posting your dreams.

I have the most bizarre, vivid dreams and your dreams are making me feel less weird. lol.

"evil dream strangers"
"slugs in your husband's hair"

What else ya got?

Old 11-30-2018, 05:26 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Last night was that standard dream of being back in high school. I was getting ready and looked at the clock and it was LATE. I had missed the bus and there was no way I could get there in time and I knew they were going to penalize me in the massively high school way they do.

Then, just by chance, I saw a Femme Force https://comicvine.gamespot.com/femme-force/4060-56337/ jet pack lying around! I strapped it on and took off for school.

Okay, those dream triggers. It occurred to me, in wake time, earlier in the week of how odd it was that I sometimes dream I'm a DC character, but never a Marvel one. So in this dream, I'm making my entrance by using a theme in this 70's issue

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/capta...ra/4000-12049/
(ie, Cap'n America loses the Supreme Hydra when he escapes in a rocket but then finds a Femme Force jet pack lying around and takes off after him).

Then, last week, I watched https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069986/?ref_=nv_sr_1 "The Doll Squad" and as I commented then, "Femme Force it is not!".

As far as being late for school, well, I guess that is my new schedule where I have to leave the house by a certain time so I am not stuck behind the school buses.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:17 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
What does it mean when I peel the skin off of someone with my bare hands? I have had that dream more than once. They are always bad people. I am not trying to rip apart friends or good people. These are evil dream strangers.

Maybe it means that you are trying to strip the facade off of these evil people so that everyone can see how evil they are.

Or, conversely, since it's a repetitive dream, maybe it means that you hide a part of yourself that you're not proud of, and you worry that someday, someone will expose you, and see that hidden bad part of yourself.

(I'm not saying your bad or evil. Just maybe you often say to yourself "If people ever knew this side of me it would be bad.)

Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 AM

859 posts, read 705,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I had an awful nightmare last night - I was sleeping in a bed and "something evil" inhabited my body. I could not move. I was terrified. I tried to cry out, but the sound would not come forward.

I have a recurring dream of seeing a lion or tiger outside. It is roaming the neighborhood or in the woods. An unexpected place, where it does not belong.
About the first one: If I'm not mistaken, I guess you mean a known phenomena among people, in slang I don't know what people call in English, but scientifically called "Sleep Paralysis" if you've ever heard of it.
It's rarely happen for people, or very few times for some, or even never happened for others. If it's happening a lot of times (over) to the extent that you can't sleep well, it will belong to the " Sleep disorders."

About the second one:
All what I can say, in general is, you need to be careful, not personally, even people in that neighborhood.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology