Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:15 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Maybe for men 40 is the new 30 but not so much for women. As soon as we are thirty we are already too old. There is always a younger model needed by older men.
Sorry that you view yourself as a car.
That kind of sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 12:53 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is 40 really the new 30?

What do you think?

Humans are living longer, so why have like 10yrs for 20, and then another ten years and then life is over. That kinda sux. Are people more and more using 40 as the new 30, so they can have an extra decade of young adult life?

People are also not retiring like that should be. Like my own old man. He seems to think his father (my grandpa) died from alzheimers because he retired so early, and basically had nothing to do, so just kind moped around. My father is convinced grandpa's mind just wasted away, so he wont retire. He does as much work as humanly possible.

Are there more women having babies in their 40s? I hear it is risking genetic defect, but how much higher does the percentage go. But all the medical data is mostly from time when not many women had babies in their 40s. The sample size is too small to determine whether it is dangerous. Amirite?

Also, you ladies hear about that Chuang Do fella from Singapore. He is a 50 yr old photographer/model who looks like he is late 20s. Is this a product of artificial enhancements or is naturally possible?
Women have been having babies in their forties since the beginning of time. It slowed down when birthing was commandeered by medicine and with the invention of "The Pill". Medical data shows that women are born with a number of eggs and that the older they are, the less perfect the eggs. Down's syndrome has been associated with births in both 20 and 45 year old birthing women, but there is an association between "older mother" and "down's syndrome".

50 is the new 30. 40 is the new 27. 60 is the new 50. 90 is the new 70.

Alzheimers seems to be congenital - runs in families if they live long enough. Working, or keeping the mind active, the body fit, does not seem to make a difference. Children of people with alzheimers fear what it is and work harder to keep the mind healthy. Support your father in whatever it is he needs to do, but also remind him that sons often get their brains from their mothers.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Women have been having babies in their forties since the beginning of time. It slowed down when birthing was commandeered by medicine and with the invention of "The Pill". Medical data shows that women are born with a number of eggs and that the older they are, the less perfect the eggs. Down's syndrome has been associated with births in both 20 and 45 year old birthing women, but there is an association between "older mother" and "down's syndrome".
In the early years of "The Pill", probably the 1960s and early 1970s, one of the key use cases of "The Pill" was by married women who already had their kids and didn't want to have a later in life baby. Since the mid-1970s or so, the more common use case of "The Pill" has been by women from 16-30 to postpone motherhood for as late as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I had all my kids by age 30 and you would have thought I was a teenager by the surprise in my group of friends

Of course the joke is on them when they are walking their kid into Kindergarten when they are pushing 50
I'm of the mindset that culturally, the United States has gone way too far in postponing motherhood. Women, who control the mating market, are often either postponing motherhood until into their 30s when fertility isn't optimal or not having children at all (both of these trends are more common among educated white women than Hispanic/Black/Asian women). Fertility is optimal from ages 20-24, and still pretty good in the 25-29 age range. In my Millennial social circle, I have seen no birth among women under 30. I'm in my mid-30s, and I've looked back at those who I attended college with at a large public university, and almost none of them had kids before 30. There are still some who don't have kids now. The fertility rates among the sample of those I was acquainted with during college is minimal compared to even the low rates of 20 years ago, and much less than during the era in which Baby Boomers were born.

40 might be the new 30 in terms of adult markers because the Millennial generation isn't achieving the markers of adulthood (marriage, babies) that were common for the G.I. Generation and Baby Boomers. The Millennials are even decelerated as compared to Generation X. Millennials have traded those in for having pets instead.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is 40 really the new 30?

What do you think? ....
American popular culture is obsessed with being young, and the commercial culture reinforces this with Nazi-like intensity. Even advertisements pitched toward an audience in their sixties and above features youngish looking models who are more likely to be in their fifties.

Despite the everyday obvious evidence of ageing in everything we see, the American culture denies it with what amounts to mass delusion.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
.....and plenty of women "back in the day" were having children well into their mid-forties. It wasn't uncommon for a woman to have children and grandchildren who were around the same age.

This is true - my grandmother and great-grandmother were pregnant twice at the same time. My mother and her uncle are the same age.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm of the mindset that culturally, the United States has gone way too far in postponing motherhood. Women, who control the mating market, are often either postponing motherhood until into their 30s when fertility isn't optimal or not having children at all (both of these trends are more common among educated white women than Hispanic/Black/Asian women). Fertility is optimal from ages 20-24, and still pretty good in the 25-29 age range. In my Millennial social circle, I have seen no birth among women under 30. I'm in my mid-30s, and I've looked back at those who I attended college with at a large public university, and almost none of them had kids before 30. There are still some who don't have kids now. The fertility rates among the sample of those I was acquainted with during college is minimal compared to even the low rates of 20 years ago, and much less than during the era in which Baby Boomers were born.

40 might be the new 30 in terms of adult markers because the Millennial generation isn't achieving the markers of adulthood (marriage, babies) that were common for the G.I. Generation and Baby Boomers. The Millennials are even decelerated as compared to Generation X. Millennials have traded those in for having pets instead.
I'm Gen X and yes, these were mostly college friends who were looking at me like I was a nut for having all my kids in my twenties. It just was not done.

I'm cool with people living how they want to live, but I think there are huge personal benefits to having them younger, just from an energy perspective. I am in my early 40s now and I am glad all my kids are teens and I am out of the baby/kid era.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:07 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I'm Gen X and yes, these were mostly college friends who were looking at me like I was a nut for having all my kids in my twenties. It just was not done.

I'm cool with people living how they want to live, but I think there are huge personal benefits to having them younger, just from an energy perspective. I am in my early 40s now and I am glad all my kids are teens and I am out of the baby/kid era.
The Millennials took all of the bad traits that were first starting to appear in Gen X and accelerated them. Gen X postponed parenthood, now Millennials are entirely opting out of parenthood. Millennials have accelerated the pet ownership trend. Millennials have substituted pets for babies.

Millennials got way more attention than Gen X because they were a larger generation. Gen X was a smaller generation for 2 primary reasons....

1. There was economic malaise in the United States during most of the birth years of Gen X. No one wants to bring kids into an awful economy. There was stagflation during the LBJ/Nixon/Ford presidencies, and outright awful conditions during Jimmy Carter's presidency.

2. During the years of Gen X's births, the population was in the prime of child bearing years was the Silent Generation of the 1930s and first half of the 1940s, which was a smaller cohort because people were not having kids during the Great Depression.

That's quite a double whammy.

You did the right thing having kids in your 20s.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:52 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, I agree! It's delusional to think we ARE younger than our chronological age, and things do happen with age - to varying degrees and at slightly different timing for different people, but aging does happen. But how we treat that has changed significantly, from what I've seen. We don't all settle into armchairs to scream at the 6:00 news at the strike of midnight on our 40th birthday. ("Everybody" didn't do that back in the day either, but you get the idea. There were certain expectations of "acting 40," "acting past 'all that,'" etc. at one time.)

But I'm not delusional. I know my age, LOL! Oh do I know it. And it's true that "inside" most people still feel young...I'll bet that's always been true of many many people. It's just that now we are "allowed," if you will, to stay active, keep our minds plastic and moving and changing, dress how we want, be involved in life in different ways that was expected in former days.

*** Oh, I thought of something else. Another reason I think "40 is the new 30" is that as I remember things, 30 used to be a full-on grownup. As in: you were almost certainly married, you probably already had children, a mortgage, you commuted to your upstanding job, you had life insurance, you fixed your own car...you were a grownup. Today, the process tends to start later. Don't get me wrong - I think waiting is a good thing! A solid education, work experience, etc. are positives before taking on the bigger challenges of life. But it does mean we've been "pushed back" a bit in life stages, chronologically. At least for the larger part. Again, JMO!
Have to agree here. In many parts of the country ( esp the Northeast), 30 is too young to have all of thise ingredients ( marriage, children, condo/house/mortgage, life insurance, etc). You might have one or two of them, but probably not all, especially if you went to graduate school. It's also more expensive here, so that might delay things a bit, too...

In my parents' generation (Depression, WW2/Korea), people were indeed settled a bit earlier,almost to the point where it was expected to have those things done by a certain age. I once saw a stat that mentioned that 90% of all men over the age of 25 were married in 1960. It's much, much less today..

Old 11-23-2018, 11:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
40 is still 40 and 30 is still 30. Both are too young to know what life is all about and yet be young enough to look distinguished and be high energy.

Living in my 50s was really the best times in terms of feeling confident and so forth about myself in looks, energy and knowing how to interact with all ages effectively.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:58 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Right. 40 is 40. You’re as young as you feel. Forty might be better than thirty but 50 is definitely not better than 40.
Yeah, I am in my 50's and can't pretend my age anymore. I do well, but no way am I 40! No way in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology