Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This thread was for family members. There are lots of other threads for people who want to talk about their "mental illnesses."
About family members, not that there is a way to tell who has suicidal family members, unless people choose to identify as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Looks like suicide apologists have taken over this thread.

If the OP ever comes back, or if there are others who have been traumatized by people threatening suicide - constantly - then it might be informative. As it stands now, it's just the usual "pity party" rationalizing "mental illness" and depression.
And your attitude seems to be that people considering suicide should have to live in pain and suffering so that you don't have to. Nothing like making their pain all about you.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:12 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And your attitude seems to be that people considering suicide should have to live in pain and suffering so that you don't have to.
No. They should get help and in the meantime, not traumatize their family members.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
I don't expect you or anyone else to understand this, but wallowing in self-pity is not the answer. It doesn't help.

The thread is about family members who threaten suicide. If you have not been on the "other side," dealing with someone who is acting out and actually wanting to hurt others through their actions, then you really only have your own experience of despondency to inform you.

I do not wish this on anyone, but for those who cannot (or will not) consider those on the other side of the equation, think of the people most important to you - now imagine them screaming and yelling and threatening suicide - OFTEN - would you enjoy this? No, no one would. And that is what this thread is about.

Suicide is not just one-sided. It's not just about you and your pain. We all affect others with our actions.

People are mad because they want me to have empathy for those threatening suicide, but no one cares about the people on the other side and what damage is being caused to them. Think if there are children witnessing all of this madness.

And the people who succeed in suicide. Who finds the grisly remains?

You're gone to a "better place," but those you "love" are left to deal with gruesomeness, trauma and all kinds of aftermath. Where's the empathy for that?
People who are suicidal are not all unaware of how their death would affect their family members. For you to say that the suicidal members of your family are just trying to punish you... That simplifies the situation much too much. Where is your compassion for your family members going through this? You may not agree with them in the way they're behaving but why blame them so harshly? If you broke your foot and I said go ahead the crutches are right here across the room... Go get it and you'll feel better. That is what you're doing when you're yelling at your family members here on the board.

I feel for you for going through this with your family. It must make you feel helpless to help them. Maybe you could go to counseling yourself to learn how to deal with them and what you can and cannot do.

I wish you the best.

P.S. for some suicidal people it weighs heavy on their heart how they will affect their family members. And it's another layer of pain

Old 11-25-2018, 08:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
To answer your question, because I have experienced family members manipulatively saying they are going to kill themselves. And the way they announce it, is not "nice." Lots of drama and screaming and yelling:

Talk about carbon monoxide poisoning, jumping off a cliff, taking pills, etc.

If a person came to me and said they were feeling despondent, of course I would try to get them help - but when someone constantly makes scenes (police and fire departments called, constantly), it gets a little tiresome.

They know where to go to get help, but between times, do not do it.

I have paid for people to go to rehabs, etc.

Don't tell me I have no empathy. You have no idea how much of my life I have given to the antics of others - years, and years.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:

If the OP ever comes back, or if there are others who have been traumatized by people threatening suicide - constantly - then it might be informative. As it stands now, it's just the usual "pity party" rationalizing "mental illness" and depression.
Wow, I really feel for anyone in your life that suffers from depression. It isn’t a pity party, it is a disease.

One of my good friends from high school took her life, leaving behind her husband and five children. She was mentally ill. So I get it, maybe you should try some empathy yourself?

Old 11-25-2018, 08:06 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
To answer your question, because I have experienced family members manipulatively saying they are going to kill themselves. And the way they announce it, is not "nice." Lots of drama and screaming and yelling:

Talk about carbon monoxide poisoning, jumping off a cliff, taking pills, etc.
This is someone being manipulative. If they truly want to kill themselves they will.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:18 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
my mother-in-law once asked my wife:
"how many (pills) should i take to kill myself?"
she answered: "all of them."

my MIL threatened suicide at least once a month.
it was never-ending until she died of natural causes.
in her case, and in my opinion, her talk of suicide was
the ultimate selfish attention seeking someone she was.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:24 PM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
Quote:

Clearly you're someone who has no clue as to what it's like to suffer from a serious mental illness. People like you are part of the problem, not the solution. Any discussion involving suicide should be along the lines of support for both families and those suffering along with real ideas for prevention, not this sort of shaming.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:33 PM

I think someone should go back and read the OP. This did not start out as a thread about people 'constantly' threatening suicide as a way to manipulate or 'act out against' others. The original question was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
Why do some people become suicidal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology