Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

I just had a dream about people talking about the memory a few years ago about an olympic athlete who had been found injured and dying after being lost in the snow. There was a live TV news crew there with another olympic athlete reporting on the rescue event. The event took place about a mile southwest of where I grew up. A crowd of people were there to greet him. His legs had been torn or cut off at the ankles and they were just bloody stumps below the knee. The reporting athlete was crying. He and the injured athlete had been friends and they were both wearing the same olympic outfit of yellow tights, and both had dark hair. The crowd was walking around him to view his death. I was in the crowd of onlookers. Suddenly I didn't feel so judgmental about the kind of people who would stop to look at car crash victims. I realized that I was now part of them, one of them, and that they do that as a way of mourning death.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 03:36 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
You've posted about gory accidents and observing them before. You seem to be preoccupied with the idea so you dream about it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-09-2019 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I just had a dream about people talking about the memory a few years ago about an olympic athlete who had been found injured and dying after being lost in the snow. There was a live TV news crew there with another olympic athlete reporting on the rescue event. The event took place about a mile southwest of where I grew up. A crowd of people were there to greet him. His legs had been torn or cut off at the ankles and they were just bloody stumps below the knee. The reporting athlete was crying. He and the injured athlete had been friends and they were both wearing the same olympic outfit of yellow tights, and both had dark hair. The crowd was walking around him to view his death. I was in the crowd of onlookers. Suddenly I didn't feel so judgmental about the kind of people who would stop to look at car crash victims. I realized that I was now part of them, one of them, and that they do that as a way of mourning death.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks.
Honestly, OP, after reading your description I thought to myself that I would be MORE judgmental about the kind of people who would stop to look at car crash victims. I don't think at all that they do it "as a way of mourning death" -- rather, they do it out of a gory kind of curiosity.

I can't imagine wanting to gawk at a stranger dying in some accident. That's horrifying reality, not some TV show.

I'm also not clear if you are referencing a real event/accident that you were remembering (and in the dream you were "inserted" into the action) or if that event/accident was just in the dream world?

Either way, sounds like a horrible nightmare to me. Sorry, OP, I have no more insights than that.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:16 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
You are having weird dreams, OP. Are you taking any sleep pills or psych meds? They can influence the topic of your dreams or preoccupation with death.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:00 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Suddenly I didn't feel so judgmental about the kind of people who would stop to look at car crash victims. I realized that I was now part of them, one of them, and that they do that as a way of mourning death.
No, I don't think they are mourning the death.
Some people enjoy watching gore and death on TV or YouTube, and they are even more thrilled and entertained when they have the possibility to watch in real life.
The fascination with the macabre has always been there, but some people are becoming desensitized to such violence when it transforms from fiction into the real thing. The love for movies about zombies or horrors, guns or violence became part of our society, and those people enjoy to observe such in real life even more.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, I don't think they are mourning the death.
Some people enjoy watching gore and death on TV or YouTube, and they are even more thrilled and entertained when they have the possibility to watch in real life.
The fascination with the macabre has always been there, but some people are becoming desensitized to such violence when it transforms from fiction into the real thing. The love for movies about zombies or horrors, guns or violence became part of our society, and those people enjoy to observe such in real life even more.
Regardless, that is the message I got from the dream.

No, this was not a real event. I was just describing a dream I had. People in dreams are all aspects of ourselves. You all probably have similar dreams full of just as much gore, death, violence, and other strange activity. Maybe even more than mine. You just forget about them completely by the time wake up. Unless you wake up immediately after the dream, or before it's over.

Why thank you, Ozzy. I knew I would get some kind of clarification if I posted it here.
You're welcome, Me.
::shaking head sadly::

Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 AM

5,494 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Ozzy's probably my favorite poster here. Keeps it real, if religious.

To address your post, dreams seem to me to be somewhat symptomatic of one's general psychological condition. i would never read much into any one particular dream, as that is essentially a mystic's/fool's errand, but I know from my experience of dealing with depression/anxiety for 14 years now that things tend to correlate. When in 2015-2016 I was in the midst of what I would consider to be an 8-month-long major depressive episode, my nightmares typically featured me killing people. I'd wake up, alarmed, knowing I was f*cked up to be having those dreams, but powerless really to change the conditions that were causing me to have the dreams. Just trying to live another day under those conditions, you know? You don't know, but I can tell you, that's how it was.

In terms of a scientific study of dreams, I'd imagine this would be one of the last frontiers of all of human scientific inquiry, if not the last frontier. Think of what it would require...imagination, certainly, plus extrapolation from experience. It'll never be something to be automated. I would very much venture to guess that the 'analysis' of dreams will be a last frontier both of science and of quacks who claim special knowledge under the auspices of religion/astrology/whatever.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Ozzy's probably my favorite poster here. Keeps it real, if religious.

To address your post, dreams seem to me to be somewhat symptomatic of one's general psychological condition. i would never read much into any one particular dream, as that is essentially a mystic's/fool's errand, but I know from my experience of dealing with depression/anxiety for 14 years now that things tend to correlate. When in 2015-2016 I was in the midst of what I would consider to be an 8-month-long major depressive episode, my nightmares typically featured me killing people. I'd wake up, alarmed, knowing I was f*cked up to be having those dreams, but powerless really to change the conditions that were causing me to have the dreams. Just trying to live another day under those conditions, you know? You don't know, but I can tell you, that's how it was.

In terms of a scientific study of dreams, I'd imagine this would be one of the last frontiers of all of human scientific inquiry, if not the last frontier. Think of what it would require...imagination, certainly, plus extrapolation from experience. It'll never be something to be automated. I would very much venture to guess that the 'analysis' of dreams will be a last frontier both of science and of quacks who claim special knowledge under the auspices of religion/astrology/whatever.
Yes. I agree. Sometimes I wonder if all dreams are as colorful as the ones I remember. But they only stay in my memory if I wake up in the middle of it. Sometimes I'll wake up and desperately try to remember what I was thinking. I know that it was something terribly important just a few seconds ago. I take an interest in them because I believe it's my subconscious trying to tell me something important.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Well, I am totally freaked out by mice and have had a problem with them twice in the past few months (my 2 very young kitties alerted me that there was a live mouse in the house but couldn't catch it so I had to take care of the extermination myself ). This may sound odd, but I try to make myself think of mice JUST before I go to sleep so I will NOT dream about them. (Probably not rational, but it's worked for other "topics" in the past.)

Didn't work. I had nightmares about mice. Ugh.

Objectively speaking, mine were nowhere near as horrible as yours, OP, but for me pretty terrifying. I hope both of us have better dreams tonight ...

Old 02-10-2019, 01:52 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I have similar odd dreams Ozzy. One that haunts me is the dream I had of one of my patients on a ventilator outside on my deck. I thought he was dead but I realized that he was alive and a storm was coming. I had to get all of this heavy equipment in the house along with the patient on a hospital bed and I only had minutes to do it. I could hear the thunder and it was really getting dark outside. I woke up in a sweat.
Dreams can be a reflection of intense anxiety and at the time I was working insane hours. The stress came out in a dream and it was my body and minds way of telling me to slow down. You will know what the message is in your dream if you can relate it to your life and what's causing you anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology