Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:51 AM

42 posts, read 20,169 times

Advertisements

been trying to cope with break up and it has been affecting me a bit. I constantly think about it throughout the day. Been having limited contact with little to no texting. I know I should not contact her and been trying to stay strong with it. I only had one other real relationship and it was 2 years, that one post break up messed with me for a long time. I think about her a lot, any help with dealing with this? It sucks cause my mind is occupied with this.

I am constantly thinking about what she is doing and i try to occupy myself with other things but it still happens. Also we are leaving for winter break for a bit and I want to meet up with her and talk, but I know it isn't a good idea because I don't have really an objective for why I am doing it. I guess I just want to see her, but then that will ruin my recovery process.

Last edited by newtothis15; 12-09-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:25 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Are you still in high school?

Look up cognitive behavioral therapy tips on YouTube or something - you just need to redirect your thoughts so you don't torture yourself, needlessly.

Losses must be grieved, so it's okay to cry and feel bad, but if you start obsessive thoughts, that is unhealthy, and a bad thinking habit which you can remedy.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis15 View Post
been trying to cope with break up and it has been affecting me a bit. I constantly think about it throughout the day. Been having limited contact with little to no texting. I know I should not contact her and been trying to stay strong with it. I only had one other real relationship and it was 2 years, that one post break up messed with me for a long time. I think about her a lot, any help with dealing with this? It sucks cause my mind is occupied with this.

I am constantly thinking about what she is doing and i try to occupy myself with other things but it still happens. Also we are leaving for winter break for a bit and I want to meet up with her and talk, but I know it isn't a good idea because I don't have really an objective for why I am doing it. I guess I just want to see her, but then that will ruin my recovery process.
Let me assure you that what you are experiencing is normal after a breakup.

First, you think about it all the time. Gradually, you will notice that it's every hour. Then longer periods of time. There is no strict timeline.

Time is a great healer. But you have to help yourself: Keep busy with other activities, family and friends. If you aren't showing some improvement after a month or so, sure, consider some counseling.

Yep, it sucks. Just about all of us have "been there."

Last edited by CatzPaw; 12-09-2018 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 12:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
OP: You will get over it, everyone does. Occupy yourself with other things in life and take a break from the relationship scene. Help others, learn to meditate, find new adventures in life. You don't say your age, but there is a lot of life out there.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
It's the worst isn't it. The worst.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:04 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis15 View Post

Do not meet her. That would be like the worst thing possible for you.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Break-ups are often tough to get over. You are doing the right thing in being occupied with something--you just have to be more focused on it. The only thing that got me over a tough break-up is to always be spending my time doing something. For me it was putting together jigsaw puzzles and watching old black and white movies.

I know it sounds it does sound lame and trite, but time really does heal all wounds (well, at least these kinds). Looking back on the relationship that was difficult for me, I am real glad it didn't work out. I'm sure you will reach a point some time in the future when you will see that it was a good thing that things didn't work out.

Best wishes in this difficult time. It just sucks, I know it. I hope you will get to feeling better quickly.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Don't meet her. You should be cutting off all contact, period. I just got out of a 4.5 year relationship and have had zero contact since the day it ended. I've done this before and learned the hard way that's what I have to do to heal.
You can't look behind you, only forward. Fill your times with things you enjoy doing and people you enjoy being with.

It sucks, but it gets better with time

Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
You have been given some good advice. Breakups can be brutal.

Can you put in some time in a gym or do some biking? Physical activity will help you feel better.

Also, you could do some volunteering over winter break. Doing good deeds is a productive way to get through a bad time.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:40 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Stay busy and steer your mind away from your ex.

The thing I always ask myself after the occasions that I've been dumped: "Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with you?"

That usually keeps me on the right path.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
break ups are tough sometimes feels like your heart got ripped right out of you..

but we've all gone through it part of maturity..

ill give you the best advice I got when I was younger - and taking it hard...like mourning a slow relationship death....
LET IT GO...stop marinating in misery.... feel blessed you had the relationship to begin with....think of the happier times and wish her well....this is what a man will do and not an insecure little boy..

every time life punches you in the face......you do two things...learn from it and hit back......hitting back is realizing....if its gone ..if its in the past leave it there.....and start looking ahead....

leave her be....women are like cats they need to come to you...the harder you try to approach the further away you can push them..

and remember this is one woman....she doesn't represent the entire gender of women....guys make that mistake (if SHE doesn't want me no other woman will)
total b.s.

fall off a horse....get back on one and start riding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology