Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
My point is that she probably used to know that Beck sang the song at one time.

I've seen other cases where a woman will find a similar connection to something newer. Like if I reminded her of an older song that she really liked, she would think of a more contemporary performer that she assumed was the singer. Sometime it's kind of impressive the way they can relate two similar things from different periods of time. That's something I could never do. But what I can do is identify the time period of a song if I hear it, sometimes even if I've never heard it before. And to me that seems more "normal". But to a woman it might seem more normal to relate two similar things from different time periods. I'm not making a judgment on this. It's just kind of interesting.
Not necessarily a value judgment, but it is an assumption and generalization. If I hear the song Sweet Dreams, I know it's by Eurythmics, because I grew up listening to them. But I also grew up listening to Marilyn Manson, so I'm familiar with his cover. I know the Sound of Silence was not originally performed by Disturbed. My parents listened to Simon & Garfunkel. But David Draiman's performance is downright epic and amazing. Some people know music and others...less so.

It could be a matter of there being a lot of covers of older songs. We hear those more than the originals, and if you weren't exposed to the original artists or only passively into music (or whatever else) then I can see how or why certain details can escape one's memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:15 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I don't see this as a women "thing" …. if you said she could spot a dust ball from 3 rooms away but couldn't find a 4000lb vehicle in a parking lot....then id agree with you

Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
It's simply because whatever reference he's stuck on is HIS reference, not mine. It was important or unique enough for him to store it in his brain, but it wasn't for me.

I truly don't care enough about this or MANY things to use brain space for it.

Lastly, some men are like me, some women are like my BF. It's not about ignorance, sometimes it's about importance and the choice to remember something or not.
Just wanted to repeat these awesome snippets of your post.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
This is not specific to the female gender. Try again.
This.

OP is confused and needs to talk to more women!

Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This.

OP is confused and needs to talk to more women!
So now you're saying it's a "female" thing? I thought that were beginning to get past that.

I've known women for years who I've talked with at length who have these points of view. It is no less perplexing. I certainly don't hold it against anyone. I'm just trying to get the point of view from people who might think that way, or who at least might understand that view better than me.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
This is not specific to the female gender. Try again.
Out of all the rich potential material (what men don't understand about women) THIS lack of knowledge of some obscure detail is what you pick? OK.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:13 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
Yeah, this is odd, OP. This has nothing to do with women, this is specific to one person.

I'm amazed--and I mean this seriously--at people who are shocked when they read somewhere or hear someone referencing Mick Jagger singing back up on Carly Simon's 'You're So Vain'. It seriously blows my mind, especially at people who know the song well and can even sing lyrics, know trivia about it.

HOW DO YOU NOT HEAR MICK JAGGER'S VOICE ON THE SONG?!?!?!?!

Old 12-14-2018, 12:22 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
So now you're saying it's a "female" thing? I thought that were beginning to get past that.

I've known women for years who I've talked with at length who have these points of view. It is no less perplexing. I certainly don't hold it against anyone. I'm just trying to get the point of view from people who might think that way, or who at least might understand that view better than me.
OP, there is no "point of view" involved in your narrative. Do you know what the phrase "point of view" means? Look it up.

Someone didn't know your favorite singer wrote a song you like. There is no "point of view" here. They just didn't know who wrote a certain song. It happens. Not sure why it's such a big deal for you.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:51 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
I have never seen such a stupid view on woman, thinking someone they know, could write and sing a song and for her not know he did it.

I lived in a resort small town, and knew a couple of singers with much better known songs they wrote or sang. I could not tell you for most of their songs they wrote or recorded. They had homes there where they stayed when not out performing. Nice friendly people.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
This. I mean, I know who Beck is and the song Loser, but I'm sure I knew of and liked songs before discovering the artist behind it. Generally, if I like something, I look it up and tend to commit it to memory. This isn't about "women."
Well, you're one up on me, Metaphysique. I have no idea about either.

OP, this is about the variety in individual interests. If we sat down together, there would be lots of topics for which your knowledge would exceed mine, and the reverse is true, too. That's the fascinating thing about human beings. We're all different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology