Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:29 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times

Advertisements

My dads death was definitely one of the worst...as was 9/11

But I think the one event that totally changed my outlook on life god everything was the Sandy Hook School shooting...right before xmas

to this day even though I live nowhere near this or have anyone I know lost someone there, it still haunts me

parents gathering to collect their kids and noticing the first grade parents with little or no children and just knowing...

kids telling teachers they just want to go home and have Christmas

I can attribute my complete and total loss of faith to this event (at least it was the catalyst)...my loss of joy at xmas time...

and I still haven't gotten past it...

It boggles my mind how something half the country away can affect me so much...but it does

anyone else have an event completely change their life/outlook on life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 12:24 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
The worst life changing event is a personal tragedy that I don't want to talk about on a public forum. I'm just going to say that it was so terrible that it destroyed my belief in a loving God.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
My worst was divorce and unemployment at the same time, combined with a mid-life crisis. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Like the OP, I've also lost my joy at Christmas. The divorce did that to me.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:26 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
divorce ..place of work goes out of business....

.psycho girlfriend.....steals from you and you think one day you will be featured on "snapped" after she poisoned me

seriously,,,, almost going bankrupt..... and your work goes out of business....and find out long time girl-friend was into drugs...messing around.... and stealing from me....all at the same time.....I was stressed..... got a bout of vertigo …..from ear chrystals floating around.....
I was a vomiting mess for a while..( not mentioning deaths in the family)
but...it always gets better.

the hardest paths to climb usually has the best views

Old 12-14-2018, 02:21 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Sandy Hook.

I live about an hour away. From Ct, where I live now.

Words can not express what happened adequately.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:26 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,292 times
My mother's death from cancer. It was almost five years ago and I'm still here, sometimes without knowing why.

About the only positive that came from it was having no choice but to mend fences with my Dad and reconnect. That's been great, but he's 72 and when his time comes I'll have to ask myself how much longer I want to hang around.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:31 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Having a life threatening illness, recovering and realizing how wonderful it is to be alive. The was nearly two decades ago and I haven't gotten over how grateful I am yet.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:46 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the hardest paths to climb usually have the best views
Very true. So far there are three; too different to rank one worse than the other:

Watching my mother die of ALS.
Getting a cancer diagnosis at 36.
Managing my dad's 3 year decline long distance (the poster child for a mean old man) and then facing right-fighting siblings while executing his estate shortly afterwards.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:11 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
My ex cheated on me right before Christmas when we lived in California. We moved from Illinois a few months before Christmas. I had no friends and no support system. I left him a couple of months later, rented a truck, took all the money, loaded up all of the furniture and moved myself back home. I was towing my car behind the truck and traveling with my cat and dog. It was blazing hot and the truck had no air-conditioning. One of the tires disintegrated in Nevada and I could see a big truck stop about a mile or two away, so I drove on the flat to the truck stop. I had to call the truck rental and have them wire some money to the truck stop to put a new tire on. Meanwhile my cat and dog are running around the truck stop because it was so hot that they would die in a closed up truck. It was a horrendous trip. It ruined Christmas for me and I never had a Christmas tree since I was 21 years old.

I get a divorce, meet the love of my life and find out on my second Christmas with John that I had married into a psycho family. They're all drunk, okay I was too, and they start some crap with me on Christmas Eve. I finish it off by leaving John for 3 days because he took his brother's side before he even knew what had happened. We almost divorced over it.

Christmas growing up as a child was filled with alcoholic battles between my parents. One of my youngest memories was going down to the local watering hole with my mother and brother to get my father out of the bar on Christmas Eve.

I've had maybe one or two nice Christmases, but most of them were spent at work the last couple of decades. I really dreaded the holidays. I do have a happy ending though
Last year we had our friends and their 5 year old spend the night. Our neighbors and another friend joined us for dinner and it was one of the best Christmases I've ever had. They will be with us again this year.

I still don't have a Christmas tree but I have a medal tree with tiny lights, antique ornaments, and those beautiful vintage mercury peacock ornaments I like to collect. Halloween is my big holiday, and I wouldn't decorate at all if it wasn't for my little Hindu princess. She had lots of presents under that tiny tree, and the joy she had seeing them was infectious. I'll treasure these few Christmases I'll have with her while she still believes in Santa. They're really the only glimpse I've had into what a loving family is on Christmas day.

(I still don't really like Christmas music though. Humbug.)

Old 12-14-2018, 05:57 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
when my boss took his tonsils out with a remington. best day ever, if only it was quicker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology