Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 09:58 AM

35 posts, read 22,198 times

Advertisements

My social skills are damaged beyond repair thanks to my cursed disorder and I tried so hard to improve myself over the years, it hasn’t worked.

If you say attitude is my problem, that’s like me saying attitude is the reason why unarmed blacks get shot by police because of their “negative impression of law enforcement”. Be fair to both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 10:02 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
I would bet a dollar that the posters of an internet forum have no idea about aspergers. I would bet a dollar that medical professionals might.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:05 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,422 times
Cure? You know that there's no cure for ASD, and even if you didn't you know that a Relationships board isn't the place to find it. You're frustrated and you want to show people that.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:05 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
It's not about "curing" Aspergers as much as it us understanding it better and coping with your symptoms. Social settings might be very hard. You may never have a large group of friends, but it's possible to find the right group of friends and flourish. My son has it even though they don't typically use the term "Aspergers Syndrome" anymore. I think I may have it too. I fixated on trains and baseball when I was in my teens. Not just watching baseball, but following the stats of my favorite players. My son did (does) the same with the NBA. I'm a huge NBA fan, but he knows key stats for all the players right down to minutes played per gam. It helped when he developed friends who also loved basketball. His intense knowledge of stats don't come off as odd to them as they might to other people.

My son did not have the right attitude at first. His condition led him to act out on in school in ways that brought unwanted attention to himself. I think he knew there was something different about him before we did. Different, not wrong. Once we found out what, his attitude changed completely. With him, I think it helped that he could point to something within himself and say, "This is why I am like that." I believe it has been hard on him, but he is trying to cope.

I know you said don't say attitude. I'm sorry you are going through this. I have severed depression and anxiety. I'm not comparing my condition to yours, but attitude can be huge with me. If I have the right attitude, even my worse days can be decent.

Good luck

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 12-27-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 11:11 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspergersSucks View Post
My social skills are damaged beyond repair thanks to my cursed disorder and I tried so hard to improve myself over the years, it hasn’t worked.

If you say attitude is my problem, that’s like me saying attitude is the reason why unarmed blacks get shot by police because of their “negative impression of law enforcement”. Be fair to both sides.
Tell me exactly what your goal is here. What do you want to achieve?

Do you want to make a friend?
Do you want to feel more comfortable in groups?
Do you want to relate better to people?

Let me tell you something...there are a lot of people that don't have Aspergers that have the same issues as you.

Focus on one small goal and figure out how to achieve it. Make a vision board.

When you focus on your goal and not your feelings, you get further.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:19 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspergersSucks View Post

Why would you want to? I see having Asperger's as an advantage.

If you can get along well without the normal dependency issues and neediness that comes with most people (I believe that other people are the downfall of many) you're ahead of the game.

Speakin' for myself, I have never been clinically diagnosed with AS but I have many of the traits. I think it is WONDERFUL to be free of any compulsion to interact with others. I can be social when needed, but I do prefer the solitude/privacy and lack of intrusion from others much more than any warm fuzzies I may be missing out on from being on the other end of the scale.

Just my 2 cents...…..

Old 12-27-2018, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 6,260 times
You mentioned "trying to improve" yourself over the years. What kinds of things did you try? How did you implement them in your life, when, and for how long? The more specific details you provide, the better counsel others can provide to you.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
We can't change our biochemistry or genetics. sometimes, a person's uniqueness is one of reasons we love her/him so very much.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-27-2018 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 02:29 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Asperger’s is a developmental disorder. There is no cure for Asperger's syndrome, but there are natural treatments and remedies that might have calming effects. And there are several types of therapy used to improve Asperger’s symptoms.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:20 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Tell me exactly what your goal is here. What do you want to achieve?

Do you want to make a friend?
Do you want to feel more comfortable in groups?
Do you want to relate better to people?

Let me tell you something...there are a lot of people that don't have Aspergers that have the same issues as you.

Focus on one small goal and figure out how to achieve it. Make a vision board.

When you focus on your goal and not your feelings, you get further.
If you look at the other threads he started, it appears that he wants to have a girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology