Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:02 PM

20 posts, read 13,815 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I just want to know if empaths/narcissists are born this way by nature or they became empaths/narcissists due to social interactions and due to their history.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 03:16 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Here's an interesting article in the nytimes that touches more on the empathy side:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/o...lity-rats.html

Old 12-29-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Here's an interesting article in the nytimes that touches more on the empathy side:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/o...lity-rats.html

Thank you.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:20 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
my opinion is the old 80/20 rule.
we are "born that way" for 80%.
we learn that way for the other 20%.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:31 PM

turkeydance. Thank you.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:37 PM

89 posts, read 67,334 times
Well you can be an empath and narcissist as well I think. Sociopaths and psychopaths are different from empaths in that they lack empathy. The parts of the brain for sociopaths and psychopaths that are involved in empathy are not as lit up as other parts and you can see this by scanning the brain. I am not sure what parts of the brain are involved in being a narcissist.

You would have to do research to correlate the parts of the brain involved in it and see if it is not as lit up at birth just like the sociopath and psychopath mechanisms. I don't think there is a standard programming for every brain so every brain probably has different levels of empathy at birth however being hurt by others in life could change these levels as well. I would think genetics as well as the intakes of nutrients by the mother during pregnancy are very vital. Also diet when you are born since I think omega 3's help the brain form more properly and education in terms of ethics.

So you have:

genetics
mother's nutrition during pregnancy
diet while the brain is developing
education
psychology involving the environment (being hurt by others) because of neuroplasticity

I would think these are all major factors.

Last edited by BrainGardens; 12-29-2018 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 04:56 PM

BrainGardens. Thank you.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:01 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
The NY Times online is really lobbying hard to get me to subscribe...

I think some people are born empaths. I think all, or nearly all, narcissists are formed by their early environment.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:46 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
My dad was a narcissist, and his sister told me that she thought it was because he was dropped on his head as a baby. But I think upbringing also played a part. He was the youngest and the only boy, and in his mother's eyes he could do no wrong.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:09 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,420 times
I honestly think we live in a society that breeds narcissism. The whole emphasis on outdoing your neighbour. Having the most, being the most "successful", making the most money, having the best possessions. I believe it is mostly learned behaviour. The corporate world and capitalism breed narcissistic traits in people. Arrogance and pride in one's material wealth is seen as power in the west. Social media in the last 15 years has only made the problem worse, especially among the younger generation. People who have not yet achieved a thing in their life parade themselves on social media for attention and "likes", a distraction from the development of their real character. I found the narcissism evident among young girls and boys at college bad enough when I was in education back in 2003-2006. I can only imagine it is far, far worse now since the smartphone and facebook.

True (pathologically) sociopathic individuals are pretty rare. It is very common now for people to armchair-diagnose someone with "narcissism", when in reality they would not qualify for the pathological condition. It's often easier to label an ex-partner in this way to avoid our own responsibility for our own failings and irresponsibility in the relationship.

In almost all cases I have seen a woman for example, armchair-diagnose an ex-husband as a narcissist, in an online article, I noticed that the way the article is written, and examples of her own actions and behaviour made her out to be every bit as bad as he apparently was. And, you see, we are only hearing one side of the story. So unless somebody has an official diagnosis of a condition, I take any loose talk of actual Narcissistic Personality Disorder with a very big lump of salt.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts on the matter. Feel free to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology