Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 07:17 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,219,583 times

Advertisements

I see both sides of suicide.

I understand the hopelessness and pain of the person who wants to commit suicide.

I also understand the grief, pain, and anger of those who loved the person who committed suicide.

For some who had a loved one commit suicide they will never recover. I can imagine how hard it is for little children to experience a parent killing themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:20 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,517,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I see both sides of suicide.

I understand the hopelessness and pain of the person who wants to commit suicide.

I also understand the grief, pain, and anger of those who loved the person who committed suicide.

For some who had a loved one commit suicide they will never recover. I can imagine how hard it is for little children to experience a parent killing themselves.
They can and do recover.

Several states now allow physician assisted end-of-life, albeit only for terminal illnesses. I think that's great. What's not so great is the fact that we (society) have to be personally moved to come this far. Terminal illneses involve physical deterioration that we can see. We've come around to allowing suicide in a controlled environment because it's painful for US to watch.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,386,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?
I am dumbfounded how anyone with such a low IQ, and so little insight into the human condition, somehow became a psychology professor.

I hope he never practiced, because I'd feel sorry for his patients. He's in the wrong line of work.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post

Cowardice or not, I consider it the ultimate act of selfishness.
What circumstances would cause you to understand why a person couldn't take living anymore?

I bet even you have limits.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,544,205 times
Yes there are plenty of situations where someone is in severe depression or debilitating pain. However, I think there are quite a few suicides by people who look at life on a cost to benefit analysis and without emotion, decide to pull the trigger (so to speak).
Let's face it, we are all going to die - there is no avoiding it. Bill Gates with all his billions cannot escape this fact. For men, the vast majority will die before they see 90 years old. So, someone who is in their 50s for example (the age group with the highest % of suicides) says to themselves "I can end this now, or continue this life I'm not enjoying at the present time which is only going to entropy from here into old age, and die in a retirement home."
Whatever the reason, I don't judge anyone who makes the decision - even those who are teenagers or those who leave behind loved ones. I view the right to exit this life as absolute. Yes, it can be emotionally and/or financially damaging to those they leave behind (if they happen to have any), but this is just a part of life - nobody has the right to guilt someone into living a life they don't want.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Frankly, it's terrifying that a mental health professional said this.

People who are suicidal are generally suffering greatly and do not see an end to that suffering. It is a horrible situation to be in. I was at the point where I had planned my own suicide (rather rationally and methodically) so that I had a course of action if what was wrong could not be fixed. Then I set about trying to fix the way I felt - I was successful, but it was a very scary time while I was trying to right myself.

The fact that a presumable PhD demonstrated this level of ignorance and lack of empathy is alarming. I would make a complaint to the department head, frankly.
Agree. 100% agree.

It shows an ignorance of the subject he is supposed to be teaching, which is alarming as hell.

His students are studying to be able to help people, not judge them. You can't help patients if your knowledge of suicide just boils down to, "They are cowards."

He is simple-minded, and suicide is anything but simple.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post

As the wife of a man who put a Glock in his mouth, I'd say your professor is exactly right. Thing is, there are many different reasons as to why people end their own lives.

But in some cases, hell yes. My husband's was a "revenge suicide." They're rare (about 10% of suicides) but they're the worst. He left behind a note blaming me.
I'm sorry for what you went through, which is horrific. And I hope you are able to put the blame exactly where it belongs, on your husband's shoulders.

However, as you said, only 10% of suicides are "revenge suicides", so the professor is not right. 90% of suicides have nothing to do with revenge, and the professor didn't qualify his statement by saying he was referring to revenge suicides.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I'm sorry for what you went through, which is horrific. And I hope you are able to put the blame exactly where it belongs, on your husband's shoulders.

However, as you said, only 10% of suicides are "revenge suicides", so the professor is not right. 90% of suicides have nothing to do with revenge, and the professor didn't qualify his statement by saying he was referring to revenge suicides.
For all we know this poster slept around on him and/or destroyed his finances or something else caused this situation. I'm not saying this to be the case, just saying we only have one side to the story and none of us are in any position to judge or make any sort of conclusions because we don't have all the facts.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
For all we know this poster slept around on him and/or destroyed his finances or something else caused this situation. I'm not saying this to be the case, just saying we only have one side to the story and none of us are in any position to judge or make any sort of conclusions because we don't have all the facts.
That's B.S. You're saying that it would be someone else's fault if someone commits suicide? Talk about playing the victim.

Every person is responsible for themselves.

Just cuz "bad stuff" happens - or something you don't like - doesn't "give you the right" to take your own life in retaliation. That is passive-aggressiveness at its very worst. It's horrible. There is nothing that could excuse it.

If you must escape from life, go to a state where it's legal and they drug you to death so no one has to find a grisly scene.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:52 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,412,759 times
You've got to be pretty fearless to kill yourself. People sometimes turn to substances because they want to ease the pain but not die.

Some completely sane people in other cultures were ordered to kill themselves as part of ritual if they disgraced their role (such as the Samurai act of seppuku). You've got to be pretty bold to do that. They're not hiding from shame. They may want to accept the shame in place of death, but that option wasn't on the table. You must kill yourself or someone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology