Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times

Advertisements

It's called the silent treatment for a reason, and it is different from just not wanting to talk about a subject.

As has been said, it's a passive-aggressive way to manipulate someone you supposedly love. You intentionally don't talk to them so they KNOW you're mad without you having to say you're mad.

Very childish and selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Sometimes I just give up trying to be heard. Too much energy. And when you're with someone who wants to do all the talking they don't even care.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:55 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezku View Post
a person can let the other person know that it may be a good time to go somewhere undistracting to reflect on the issue, and get back to them when they are ready for a constructive, balanced dialogue. that's maturity and responsible follow-through for the sake of a continued relationship, if that's the goal.
IMHO this isn't the same thing. When I think of the silent treatment I imagine someone who refuses to acknowledge another person in any way regardless of what, where, or when. They are basically sulking in silence, not attempting to resolve anything. It is childish, self-indulgent, and useless.

What you described is deferring a discussion until emotions have cooled off or there's a better time for it.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:08 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
My husband does it all the time and I find it sort of a blessing. Ah, peace and quiet.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:41 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Is the silent treatment a common psychological mechanism which occurs when one is angry at a significant other or when one utilizes the silent treatment with a significant other to try to get one's way using it as a tool of manipulation?
Only by manipulative, and passive-aggressive people. And some children.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes it’s emotionally abusive

Old 01-06-2019, 07:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

oh, do children give the silent treatment? If so, I was not aware that they do this. Or are you saying the adults are acting childish?

Last edited by matisse12; 01-06-2019 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 07:53 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yes it’s emotionally abusive
Being quiet is not

Screaming at someone because you don't get your way is. Yelling or a constant argue is only a level below that. Anger issues all of them. Most of the time the "silent treatment" is mistaken for something else. Try leaving them alone until you cool off.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:02 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I hate it & I don’t do it.

I don’t do it because I’m terrible at it; literally cannot keep my mouth shut to save my life. Seriously; in the past I endured life-threatening domestic violence because I cannot. Let. It go.

And because they were abusive, of course.

I have it done to me all the time by the husband & it’s almost amusing because I find it effeminate. There is some sort of paradox involved with a very large, very healthy, very strong, my senior by 12 years, blue-collar biker ... giving me the silent treatment.

Because it IS passive-aggressive. From a person highly capable & adept at being ... aggressive. He thinks he’s taking the high road by not “engaging” me.

Whatever; I think it makes him look like a little b****.

He also thinks that it’s his only option when I’m confrontational, because that as a survivor of domestic violence; I have no ability to “close” a disagreement that doesn’t end with me getting the last word in & then getting the crap knocked out of me.

Basically, he thinks I pursue escalation subconsciously because it’s the only way I understand conflict in a relationship. I’m not sure how I feel about that.
In the 70's or 80's, there was a book written called "Passive Men, Wild Women." The premise was interesting and enlightening.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My husband does it all the time and I find it sort of a blessing. Ah, peace and quiet.
Meant in a genteel way...I am laughing kindly at the above.......as I recall, My BF would say...Ahhh finally the silent treatment! Love it! I can now rest my weary head. And rest he would.

As I've aged....I take heed to a persons "silence" and consider it a time out for them to regain composure...reflect...or simply be that stompy little kid who refuses to engage and resolve....Pick and choose. I usually lean towards...reflection before uttering....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology