Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe your mistake is that women don't do that stuff PRIMARILY to suit men. Whether for right or for wrong it is a much broader societal thing and at the same time a very personal thing. Women will do exactly as they want to whether a particular man likes it or not so....don't worry yourself about it!

You can find a woman who is low maintenance but don't think you can change a woman who is high maintenance. Oh - and it's not really about "femininity", either.
this.

Estelle's song Do My Thing sums me up to a T -

I wear my clothes like this because I can
I wear my hair like this because I can
I walk around like this because I can
And I do my thing like 'cause this who I am (this who I am)
If you are expecting me to give you an apology
For being nothing that you used to, used to
Well go on right ahead and wait
Hold your breath and concentrate
Keep holding till your face turns blue

When it comes to my appearance, I don't do things for male approval. And yes, I have a "butch" hair cut , because I can. And I love it and I look good with it. It's totally about me, and what works for me. Don't like it, OP, don't hook up with me. While I haven't had plastic surgery, if what I'd choose to do to make ME happy, then I'll do it.

And LOL if you think long hair is low maintenance. It's a PITA for me, tried it once, never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah...I'd have a unibrow if I didn't do some plucking. lol
An ad for one of those newfangled razor of the month clubs says something like, "guys, your girlfriend probably shaves her toes."

Old 01-14-2019, 11:27 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

My boyfriend said that he found it appealing that the first several times he saw me I was not wearing makeup, and I don't really make a habit of doing so. He said that he interpreted it to mean that I am not "high maintenance." What it really means (to me) is that I am "LAZY AS HELL."

Truth, I won't even lie, we all have the same amount of time in a day, and the only thing that differs is how each of us CHOOSES to use it. I don't choose to use mine doing much with my hair and makeup. I do a lot of hair and skin care to try and keep myself moisturized and clean and healthy but the very thought of spending time styling and putting on makeup...yeah, no thanks.
I think I am lazy while actually wearing makeup!

It takes me hardly any time to put it on. I wear foundation, blush, tinted lip balm, eye shadow, eye liner, and mascara. Sometimes I skip the liner.

The thing is, I refuse to wear dramatic makeup. I'm also a minimalist that hates the idea of having an extensive makeup collection. If I had ten lip colors, I'd whittle them down to the one that looked best for instance. If I own two of anything, I only want the best one, so I get rid of the second-best one. Palettes are a waste of money for me, because inevitably I'll only use the one or two colors that look best.

Since the colors I use are just a heightened version of my natural coloring, and everything is lightweight, it all goes on pretty effortlessly. I don't wear anything that could have a hard edge. My eye liner is a dark Taupe, rather than dark Brown or Black. I can't stand a smokey eye on me, and I can't stand a dark lip color on me. Also hate lip liner.

Though I have dark hair and brown eyes, there is a softness to my coloring and anything super dark looks terrible. I just could never be one of those people who wears very complicated makeup (did that in my teens). I will occasionally experiment, and then go right back to what I was already doing.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I think I am lazy while actually wearing makeup!

It takes me hardly any time to put it on. I wear foundation, blush, tinted lip balm, eye shadow, eye liner, and mascara. Sometimes I skip the liner.

The thing is, I refuse to wear dramatic makeup. I'm also a minimalist that hates the idea of having an extensive makeup collection. If I had ten lip colors, I'd whittle them down to the one that looked best for instance. If I own two of anything, I only want the best one, so I get rid of the second-best one. Palettes are a waste of money for me, because inevitably I'll only use the one or two colors that look best.

Since the colors I use are just a heightened version of my natural coloring, and everything is lightweight, it all goes on pretty effortlessly. I don't wear anything that could have a hard edge. My eye liner is a dark Taupe, rather than dark Brown or Black. I can't stand a smokey eye on me, and I can't stand a dark lip color on me. Also hate lip liner.

Though I have dark hair and brown eyes, there is a softness to my coloring and anything super dark looks terrible. I just could never be one of those people who wears very complicated makeup (did that in my teens). I will occasionally experiment, and then go right back to what I was already doing.
Your makeup routine sounds very complicated to me lol!

I also found short hair to be horribly high maintenance (on me/for me) and really what that came down to is, I didn't like how it looked, and I had to try and "style" it somehow, and I struggled to make it cooperate. I mean, I was like 12. But it traumatized me badly enough I'll never do it again! I'm 40 now and I have had long hair my whole life. Now, I don't really style it, I don't do anything with heat or chemicals to it. But I do use 3 different conditioners pretty much daily. My mission is to prevent dryness and brittleness, since my hair is naturally thick and coarse.

Thing is, even if I put on "minimal" makeup, and even when I've gone ahead and bought expensive stuff thinking maybe quality was the problem I had, I might like how it looks in the first 5 minutes but within an hour I feel like I have icky crud on my face, and I'll look in the mirror and it's started to look bad. I see women around me whose makeup looks on point all day, I have no idea how that is done. I apparently cannot do it.

I try to search something up and it says, "OH it's because you need to buy THIS $97 product, and also exfoliate your lips and also use a primer and also..." You know what, screw it. Nevermind. I didn't want to wear makeup badly enough to deal with all this nonsense.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:04 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
An ad for one of those newfangled razor of the month clubs says something like, "guys, your girlfriend probably shaves her toes."

I do. In sandal season. LOL

Old 01-14-2019, 12:05 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Nah. I don't really buy expensive makeup. I just look at reviews.

There is zero correlation between price point and quality.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:42 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
Pretty sure my "natural" jack nicholson eyebrows and mustache would be a scary thing to wake up to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah...I'd have a unibrow if I didn't do some plucking. lol
Whenever people bring up that question about if you had to live on a deserted island, what is the one beauty item you would take with you, most women seem to mention mascara or lip balm, whatever. The first thing that always comes to my mind is tweezers.

I've talked about this before, but I find makeup fun. I don't usually wear it at home because I want to keep my skin bare and clean, and "save" it for makeup when I go out. Sometimes I will just because I feel like it, even if I'm not going out, like to maybe "kick off" the weekend or something.

My mom has a picture of me with a Christmas present she gave me when I was a little girl. It was a little pink "makeup" vanity, with little fake bottles of stuff like nail polish, perfume, some real lip balm, etc. I was thrilled. I can say with assurance I wasn't looking for male attention at the time. I just found it/them to be pretty and fun.

Maybe it's because I like things that stimulate the senses; cosmetics, food, fashion. All the different colors, scents, tastes, textures, they're just fun to experience.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, speaking as a woman who has worn makeup for decades, I will tell you why I wear makeup. I like how I look with makeup. It is as simple as that.

Why do I choose the jewelry that I wear? I like it with what I am wearing. It’s as simple as that.

Now my question to men reading this thread: why in the world do you care?

This for the win!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Whenever people bring up that question about if you had to live on a deserted island, what is the one beauty item you would take with you, most women seem to mention mascara or lip balm, whatever. The first thing that always comes to my mind is tweezers.

I've talked about this before, but I find makeup fun. I don't usually wear it at home because I want to keep my skin bare and clean, and "save" it for makeup when I go out. Sometimes I will just because I feel like it, even if I'm not going out, like to maybe "kick off" the weekend or something.

My mom has a picture of me with a Christmas present she gave me when I was a little girl. It was a little pink "makeup" vanity, with little fake bottles of stuff like nail polish, perfume, some real lip balm, etc. I was thrilled. I can say with assurance I wasn't looking for male attention at the time. I just found it/them to be pretty and fun.

Maybe it's because I like things that stimulate the senses; cosmetics, food, fashion. All the different colors, scents, tastes, textures, they're just fun to experience.

When I was about 12, my aunt gave me a tube of tinted lip balm as a stocking stuffer at Christmas. It's the only gift I remember getting that year. Not that I didn't receive other gifts...but that tube of tinted lip balm was my favorite. It was the closest thing I had to make up at that time. lol

Old 01-14-2019, 12:53 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It makes me feel good, I'm more confident when I feel good. I think of it as war paint. Mine also has spf 15, so shut up.

Yep! This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology