Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Social pressure - probably, initially started to please men.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
Maybe your mistake is that women don't do that stuff PRIMARILY to suit men. Whether for right or for wrong it is a much broader societal thing and at the same time a very personal thing. Women will do exactly as they want to whether a particular man likes it or not so....don't worry yourself about it!

You can find a woman who is low maintenance but don't think you can change a woman who is high maintenance. Oh - and it's not really about "femininity", either.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all.
Yeah, yeah, I've heard men say this, but it's not really true.

Go out with NO makeup at all, and within five minutes people will be asking, "Are you ok? Are you sick?"

As with anything, there are varying "degrees" of makeup. What most "straight men" want is a little makeup that enhances your features without taking forever to apply, getting in the way of daily life, and getting all over their clothes.

They don't want a woman to be wearing OBVIOUS makeup that attracts negative attention.

Women wear makeup for different reasons. If you don't like a lot of makeup, OP, it makes sense that you would seek out a woman who doesn't wear a lot. That doesn't mean all the rest of the women should have to conform to your supposed preference.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:07 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Go out with NO makeup at all, and within five minutes people will be asking, "Are you ok? Are you sick?"

As with anything, there are varying "degrees" of makeup. What most "straight men" want is a little makeup that enhances your features without taking forever to apply, getting in the way of daily life, and getting all over their clothes.

They don't want a woman to be wearing OBVIOUS makeup that attracts negative attention.

Women wear makeup for different reasons. If you don't like a lot of makeup, OP, it makes sense that you would seek out a woman who doesn't wear a lot. That doesn't mean all the rest of the women should have to conform to your supposed preference.
Totally true - and men don't understand the "natural/no makeup look" is actually just well-done neutral makeup that can take as much effort as none - they can be easy to fool that way. Women are more discriminating.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Low self esteem is why.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:

This meme that went around social media last year always makes me laugh: https://me.me/i/y-makeup-look-withou...woman-21970356 "Is this a diseased person?"

Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Quote:

Amen to the bolded points. So glad my fiance rarely wears makeup, and when she does it's extremely simple like lipstick and/or eye-liner.

As for reasons why women in general do it? Depending on the individual, it could be social expectations, self-esteem, attracting a partner, or they just genuinely enjoy wearing makeup as an art form. Could potentially be a mixture of those reasons as well.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
I think that perhaps your view of what "most" men like might be a bit skewed by the other men in your life. People tend to surround themselves with people they have things in common with so it's not surprising to me at all that most of the men in your life have a similar taste in women. There's nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't define most men in the world. There are indeed a lot of men out there who prefer a woman who does a lot of priming and primping of her appearance. And as someone else pointed out, women don't primarily do this just to attract or please men. They do it because they like it and they like how they look when they do it. Most likely, they wind up attracting men who also like it, and your inability to see that there are plenty of men who do is a little short sighted. How about you just let women do what they want, because I'm pretty sure they don't care what you think? You've started this topic as though you're bestowing your greater wisdom on us ignorant women for our sake. Guess what? We don't care.

FTR I don't often wear makeup, I've never had plastic surgery, and my hair is naturally curly. But I totally support any woman's right to do whatever she wants with her body regardless of what some men might think.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:

Years ago, back when I thought it was cool to read Cosmo mag, they published the results of a survey done in a men's magazine. The survey showed a random group of men three photos of the same woman, one with full, very heavy makeup, the other with full but natural looking makeup, and one with so little makeup, to the untrained eye it looked like none at all (I think it was just foundation and maybe a bit of blush). Most men chose the full but natural looking makeup as the best looking or most attractive. Some thought the girl with barely any makeup looked ill, and she wasn't even completely barefaced! Some of the men didn't even realize all three were the same woman. Men are so clueless when it comes to makeup sometimes, yet some feel the need to make commentary on it and give us advice about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology