Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM

1,311 posts, read 853,380 times

Advertisements

Ok guys and girls dont make fun of me

but I feel like I'm too hormonal or pregnant

for last few yrs I have become way too sensitive when I see human suffering ( but ONLY when I see young men, male children or boys suffer)

by suffering I mean violent deaths , esp torture , starvation ,etc not emotional suffering

whether I read about it in news , history books, see it on TV , movies even , or someone tells me about it

it REALLY really affects me , for hours sometimes days afterwards

but NOT suffering of females

its really weird

now I'm not male chauvinist either , Ive had plenty of great female role models in my life mother sister cousins and even my baby mama and i have great relationships with them

Its now really bothering me as anything like a bad movie scene or yahoo news article can ruin my whole day

any ideas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Your username is "Dad01" so I'm going to guess you're a father. Do you have a son? Or daughter? I don't think it's unusual for people to feel a great increase in their empathy for all children when they become parents. I think particularly if you have a son and not a daughter, that would explain why your empathy for boys and young men has increased so much. You probably see the suffering of boys and can put yourself in the position of their father, you're feeling what it would be like if those boys were your boy.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Look up HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) - there's lots of literature and a book. Aron is the author.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
You say, you've noticed this only in the last few years? Why do you think that is?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 PM

1,311 posts, read 853,380 times
I'm not sure
even as a kid I was more sensitive but in the last 10 yrs Ive noticed it a lot more
hell I walked out as guys were playing "call of duty" and I couldnt stand shooting men even in a game

Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Are you saying that if it were to see young women and girls suffering horrific acts of violence and torture...starvation etc that it doesn't effect you?
Have you watched "bad movies" or films about girls being hurt and suffering (not just films on boys and young men) and still feel no sadness?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:46 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
As I'm finding more and more, when something "triggers" me (and I don't like the mocking use of that term) or in other words, when I have an emotional response that does not seem logical given the circumstances... Normally if I think about it enough, I find it is an echo of something from my childhood. As such I am actually grateful for my triggers, because they allow me to become more self aware. When I discover one of these things, I can examine it and make sense of it, and usually get more control over my responses.

And it might not be an exact parallel, for instance even if you never saw a man or boy die when you were a kid, or were tortured or something...if someone who was your caregiver treated you or your father as expendable, or said things that inadvertently coded the message that they didn't care if you suffered...when you NEEDED them to care... Or if you saw graphic violence at a young age, even in movies, when you were too young to process it... I would not be surprised if there's something like that, buried in your brain programming, that is causing this response.

It would also make complete sense for these mental subroutines to wake up and gain power if you have recently become a parent or caregiver, especially of a boy or boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology