Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered about people who are curious about death. I suppose everyone is curious to a degree. But I'm specifically referring to those kind of people who would stop their cars at a fatal traffic accident just to view the bodies.

Please understand, I'm not judging anyone who does this. As far as I'm concerned it's just something that I don't understand.

If you have ever now or in the past, had this particular type of curiosity, what exactly is behind it? What is the appeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Once you realize that you could go any time, it is kinda interesting to think how you are actually
going to bite-it.

I read about people my age and younger dying......I usually pop open the article to see how they went and think about if I would not mind going the same way!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:12 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have always wondered about people who are curious about death. I suppose everyone is curious to a degree. But I'm specifically referring to those kind of people who would stop their cars at a fatal traffic accident just to view the bodies.

Please understand, I'm not judging anyone who does this. As far as I'm concerned it's just something that I don't understand.

If you have ever now or in the past, had this particular type of curiosity, what exactly is behind it? What is the appeal?
They used to show kodachrome filmstrips of those to us in junior high school. Just another area where education today is inferior...

Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
I have always wondered about people who are curious about death. I suppose everyone is curious to a degree. But I'm specifically referring to those kind of people who would stop their cars at a fatal traffic accident just to view the bodies....?
Who does that?

Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Who does that?
I don't think the police let people do that.

I worked with a guy who was angry because he was trying to get into a website that was accessible to only the NYPD and FDNY to see pictures of murder victims and people who died in fires. He couldn't get in because it was restricted and he was complaining about it in the office. "Anyone should be allowed to see those pictures if they wanted to. This isn't right."

He also said that terrorists should be forced to watch while people burn out the eyes of their children with hot pokers. People started to tiptoe backward away from him after these conversations.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
My guess is that it is sick/twisted/dumb people who stop at fatal accidents to glare at the bodies. The same kind of people who like to watch senseless violence on TV and in movies, probably.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:02 PM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:

IMHO there's a huge territory between curiosity and preoccupation/obsession. I doubt much "appeal" appears as a result of curiosity. There's also a big difference between someone who chooses to watch a movie that contains violence and someone who covets violence leading to death however they can get exposure to it. Many tolerate the violence if it happens to promote the plot or some message the movie is trying to portray, but the violence itself is not their motivation. For others, the violence is what they want from the get go, and the plot is secondary.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I do think that most people have some curiosity about death/dying and it's a natural thing to wonder about. Probably everyone at one time or another has thought about how they want to 'go' or has wondered if there is an afterlife or not. It's something that is unknown (when/where) so it makes us uneasy and curious.

One of my friends is a state police officer and has dealt with quite a few fatal crashes over the years. Outside of keeping the scene safe and clear for other first responders, one of his biggest issues is dealing with the gawkers who slow down to look at the smashed up vehicles and (if visible) bodies. He's had to tell them to move along and has even had to tell a few of them to stop videoing the scene with their cell phone cameras.

I don't know all of the reasons myself but I would think that it could come from being curious about who was killed and if they know the people/person who died, the desire to see a dead body since they haven't seen one and want to know what 'dead' looks like, curiosity about what kind of damage was done to the person, or they might just be interested in seeing the bodies to have something to talk about. There might be reasons I have missed; everyone is different.

I don't find it a big thrill to see a body; it's pretty sad to me. There was a bad accident when I was living in another state between a semi truck and a car that killed the car driver and threw him from the car. It happened right in front of me and it was bad because I couldn't do anything to help the victim; he was dead after he hit the pavement. I felt grossed out when cars started to stop and stare while I was writing out a statement and was glad when the police covered him and stopped the show.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:39 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:

Your premise is flawed, just as it is in practically every other thread I've seen you start.

Very few, if any, stop "just to see the bodies", don't project *your* issues onto everyone else. Car crashes, train wrecks, airplane crashes and other disasters all attract attention and curiosity. It's natural.

While *you* may stop just to see the bodies, and are trying to figure out why you do it, realize that most 'normal' people are just trying to see what happened and are not specifically looking for bodies.

If you want to see bodies without attracting attention to yourself, just google "faces of death".

Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,590 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I think nearly everyone looks when they pass an accident, but unless you recognize one of the cars in the wreck, or have medical training and first responders aren't on the scene yet, I don't think many people stop.

But everybody does look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology