Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Not every thought that crosses one's mind is worthy of posting. Sewing and cooking, good grief.
LOL. Although to be fair, OP did qualify that with "some sisters have no interest in these things," while some men do. But still; classifying them as "women's hobbies" is so 1950's. I don't even know how to sew or knit, and my cooking skills are limited to a few specialty dishes. My hobbies include playing video games and caring for my pets, including a large collection of exotic snakes... also love tattoos and playing music (have learned a total of 8 instruments in my life), so pretty much NONE of my hobbies are traditionally feminine.

That being said, I think my brother did benefit from growing up with two older sisters. He is married with a young (3 yo) daughter now, and his wife often thanks us for "raising him right." He was never really that close to our mother, and she isn't the most nurturing of women - so he considers his sisters to be more like his moms, and probably learned more from us than her. We didn't teach him how to sew or cook, mind you, but did instill the values of being considerate and chivalrous. Also not being hung up on what a man vs woman should do, or how each should act. Those aren't necessarily female traits, but I believe a man raised without good female role models might struggle in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:11 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They understand how to beat up females without leaving any physical evidence.
No one will ever accuse me of being the thought or word police, but why in the world is this funny?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Re-read the bolded. You're saying that fathers of the Boomers have failed their Millennial sons. That makes no sense. Your entire post needs a re-write.

I stand by every assertion that I made. Men born from 1946-1964 (Baby Boomers) have been utter failures in teaching Millennial men (men born from 1981-1996) how to be real masculine men. Everything I said about masculinity is true. Sisters don't help men understand women. Observation, experiences, and the insight of men successful with women in the current atrocious mating environment are the things that make men better with women.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I stand by every assertion that I made. Men born from 1946-1964 (Baby Boomers) have been utter failures in teaching Millennial men (men born from 1981-1996) how to be real masculine men. Everything I said about masculinity is true. Sisters don't help men understand women. Observation, experiences, and the insight of men successful with women in the current atrocious mating environment are the things that make men better with women.
That's not what you said, though. You said, "Fathers of the Boomers have failed to teach their Millennial sons....". The sons of the Boomers' fathers are Boomers, not Millennials.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM

447 posts, read 208,410 times
I dont know that any man understands the female mind - however, as a gay man, I grew up in a female dominated world and I must say that "listening" is the key. They already know the answer - some just need to talk it out. Alot. And Again. I'm a great sounding board. Ply me with top shelf vodka and I'm yours for the afternoon. Beyond that, may I suggest battery operated appliances?

Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
I was raised primarily by females. Mother, Grandmother and Aunts.
There were men in my life but as I got older I found I related better with the women.
I took more to the nurture role as apposed to the guy swinging a hammer or turning a wrench manly man.

I'm a man I have no gender confusion or anything like that. If anything I feel like I respect women much more than some others in my circle. I've never even in my teenage years seen them as sex objects, I cant recall ever turning my head while with a group of adult males and saying OMG did you see the azz on that. It may have happened when I was a teenager I don't recall really, but maybe to fit in and try to be one of the guys.. As an adult though that type of behavior disgusts me..

Old 01-20-2019, 11:36 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Men that understand people are going to understand women. Women that understand people are going to understand men. It is one reason why some people are much better at relationships than others. Most people aren't all that complicated. They might like to think they are, but they're not.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm guessing OP is one of those guys who doesn't have sisters, or else he time traveled from the 19th century.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:16 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
No one will ever accuse me of being the thought or word police, but why in the world is this funny?

I didn't think it was supposed to be funny. I thought the referred to the way so many boys back in the day understood how to tease and insult their sisters. As common as it was (is?), that obviously isn't the kind of "understand women" that the OP is referring to, thus the . But maybe I misunderstood.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Do men with sisters understand women better? I think not.

1. Men and women are different and are always going to have a hard time understanding each other.
2. Men who don't have sisters probably grew up with their mom, and that's just as good.
3. For men, there's really no correlation between having sisters and being happily married to your wife. We all know of men with no sisters who get along wonderfully with their wives and men with no sisters who still can't figure out their wives.
4. To truly understand women, men would have to engage in women's hobbies, like sewing, cooking, etc. We all know of men with sisters who have zero interest in sewing or cooking, and have zero female friends. We all know of men without sisters who like sewing, cooking and thus have a lot of female friends through it.
5. Come on, unless they're in the military, go to an all-boy's school, or work on an oil rig, most men without sisters are still going to be surrounded by women on a daily basis.

If men with sisters really understood women better, then it would stand to reason that men with sisters have more female friends than men without sisters.
Your post proves you don't really understand MEN or WOMEN

Boys who grow up with FATHERS who respect women see how to behave
You don't need WOMEN to show boys/young men how to treat women
You need MEN to be better role models...
Brothers uncles, male cousins, pastors, coaches, neighbors---

Yes--it is great if males have females in their homes and in relationships that encourage respectful attitudes and interactions
But if you have important males who undercut women, disparage women, show mysogyny toward females in or out of the family---then you are not sending the right message

The fact that you lay all the responsibility off on WOMEN shows you don't really care about how MEN behave
That relieves them of all the responsibility for upping their game, doesn't it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology