Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM

17,055 posts, read 21,722,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Do men with sisters understand women better? I think not.

1. Men and women are different and are always going to have a hard time understanding each other.
2. Men who don't have sisters probably grew up with their mom, and that's just as good.
3. For men, there's really no correlation between having sisters and being happily married to your wife. We all know of men with no sisters who get along wonderfully with their wives and men with no sisters who still can't figure out their wives.
4. To truly understand women, men would have to engage in women's hobbies, like sewing, cooking, etc. We all know of men with sisters who have zero interest in sewing or cooking, and have zero female friends. We all know of men without sisters who like sewing, cooking and thus have a lot of female friends through it.
5. Come on, unless they're in the military, go to an all-boy's school, or work on an oil rig, most men without sisters are still going to be surrounded by women on a daily basis.

If men with sisters really understood women better, then it would stand to reason that men with sisters have more female friends than men without sisters.
A lot of non sequitur reasoning going on........

Who sews and cooks as hobbies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,534,057 times
I know more men certainly cook now than in the 50's, but from what I can tell women still do far more of it than men. But in almost all cases it is a necessity, not a hobby. Is mowing the lawn a hobby for men just because they do more of it than women do? I don't think so.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,921,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
As usual for C-D polls created by posters who use them to present some personal agenda, there aren't enough choices. You need to add this one:

No, they are men.

I already have that choice: The last choice, implying that there's no correlation between having sisters and understanding women because men have a hard time understanding women anyways.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 PM

23,817 posts, read 33,320,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Do men with sisters understand women better?

Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages.
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby.
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby.
Where did you come up with these no answers? They suck. No just means no. My hub had 5 sisters and 2 brothers. He surely never understood a lot of where I was coming from because he was a bachelor for a long time after his 1st marriage didn't work out. Being together 20 years has taken a lot of talking and compromise.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:26 PM

30,705 posts, read 79,469,587 times
I grew up with a sister and two brothers. No It did not cause me to understand women any better. It did teach me how to fight better, my sister used to beat the snot out of me.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:36 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,847,854 times
In my experience, no, not at all. I never got on with either of my sisters well really, and have no interest in meeting/interacting with girls (in a romantic capacity) now so no incentive to get better at it.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,985,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Men that understand people are going to understand women. Women that understand people are going to understand men. It is one reason why some people are much better at relationships than others. Most people aren't all that complicated. They might like to think they are, but they're not.
Well, finally someone hit the nail on the head. Yes. If most people baffle you, then I suppose most women (or men) will do the same.

People like to be treated with kindness and respect. If you cannot do that, then you will have problems with the opposite sex.

There is no magic formula, especially to having a long term relationship, other than to treat the other person with kindness and resoect. And if someone cannot appreciate kindness and respect, then she us not worthy of your attention.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,847,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, finally someone hit the nail on the head. Yes. If most people baffle you, then I suppose most women (or men) will do the same.

People like to be treated with kindness and respect. If you cannot do that, then you will have problems with the opposite sex.

There is no magic formula, especially to having a long term relationship, other than to treat the other person with kindness and resoect. And if someone cannot appreciate kindness and respect, then she us not worthy of your attention.
As a man you also have to be assertive and set boundaries, women don't respect nice guys who are only always kind and respectful in the long term. People take advantage of those qualities in a person who has no backbone.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 PM

63 posts, read 111,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
As a man you also have to be assertive and set boundaries, women don't respect nice guys who are only always kind and respectful in the long term. People take advantage of those qualities in a person who has no backbone.

Those nice guys who are only always kind and respectful are just people pleasing, which in itself isn't nice

Old 01-21-2019, 08:06 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,144,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
My impression in earlier days, was that women don't know, themselves, what they want. So how was a guy supposed to be able to know what a woman wants from him? I only rarely stumbled into a situation where I seemed to be doing the right thing to please one of them. And whatever it was, I couldn't get it to work again.

So in the end, I've found that you have to treat each one as a unique individual and forget about any "tried and true" formula. And it takes a long time, to really get to know another person. So there's no quick-action relationship that will turn into something durable, unless it's a one-in-a-thousand type of fairytale romance.
Good post, but sad that it takes years for it to dawn on some guys, that women are individuals. I mean, you don't assume all men respond to the same thing, and that you need to approach guys in some formulaic way, do you? Some like sports, some don't respond to sports talk. Some are arrogant, others are passive, others are balanced in-between. There are all kinds of personalities out there, tons of variation, and they come on both genders.

I'm not picking on you, Steve; I'm just using your post to illustrate what we so often see on these forums--guys who are desperate to find what they assume is "the key" to talking to women.

I just think it's sad that there's this level of estrangement between men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology