Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:48 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times

Advertisements

I actually do have a lot more female friends than most men. Some of them are married and some are single. I have also had mostly female bosses or supervisors and have seen ( and heard) first hand how this bothers some male co-workers. Some of my SO best girl friends were my friends first. More than one of my oldest best friends are females. The last time I went out to eat with someone other than my SO it was a female friend.

The only downside I experienced in the past was many of the women that I actually dated were not comfortable with a guy who has good access to females. I don't think it was jealousy but they were used to being around men who saw every female with in his reach as a potential sex partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I actually do have a lot more female friends than most men. Some of them are married and some are single. I have also had mostly female bosses or supervisors and have seen ( and heard) first hand how this bothers some male co-workers. Some of my SO best girl friends were my friends first. More than one of my oldest best friends are females. The last time I went out to eat with someone other than my SO it was a female friend.

The only downside I experienced in the past was many of the women that I actually dated were not comfortable with a guy who has good access to females. I don't think it was jealousy but they were used to being around men who saw every female with in his reach as a potential sex partner.
Wait, do you or do you not have sisters?

Old 02-01-2019, 09:53 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Wait, do you or do you not have sisters?
Counting mom, sisters, and four nieces who are about my age, I grew up in a house that routinely had 13 girls in it. There was a father and some brothers and nephews but we were always out numbered. I left home fairly early and never went back, so I guess overtime I just surrounded myself with surrogate sisters.
I miss hanging out drinking and smoking with them and solving the worlds problems. The take from my perspective is women are our equals but we live in an unequal world.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 02-01-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Do men with sisters understand women better? I think not.

1. Men and women are different and are always going to have a hard time understanding each other.
2. Men who don't have sisters probably grew up with their mom, and that's just as good.
3. For men, there's really no correlation between having sisters and being happily married to your wife. We all know of men with no sisters who get along wonderfully with their wives and men with no sisters who still can't figure out their wives.
4. To truly understand women, men would have to engage in women's hobbies, like sewing, cooking, etc. We all know of men with sisters who have zero interest in sewing or cooking, and have zero female friends. We all know of men without sisters who like sewing, cooking and thus have a lot of female friends through it.
5. Come on, unless they're in the military, go to an all-boy's school, or work on an oil rig, most men without sisters are still going to be surrounded by women on a daily basis.

If men with sisters really understood women better, then it would stand to reason that men with sisters have more female friends than men without sisters.

Understand could be just knowing the day to day physical and emotional lives of their sisters. From seeing them with their friends, knowing their moods, not being in the dark about their period, how they like to be treated, the silly and wise things girls do. It's about being familiar with girl's lives and acceptance of the differences as being beautiful rather than insufferable.

If men still can't figure out their wives, they haven't observed and listened. Women are generally hard-wired to be compassionate, sensitive and sensual. Women's psyches are designed to nurture. Males are raised indoctrinated into the man club and have to follow the rules. That's where "crying like a girl" is a put-down or "take it like a man, son" is the rallying cry. I sympathize with males having to shut down just in order to please their peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology