Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:29 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s not about being in a hurry. It’s anout driving at a comfortable pace, 5-8 or so over limit, and then someone going 2 mph under the speed limit forces me to alter that comfortable pace. Yesterday on my way to work, we had a lead car going 5-10 mph under the speed limit for 5 or 6 miles, 2 lane road but no passing zone, no intersections and no reason to drive that slowly. It’s frustrating. I don’t drive really fast, most here just want to drive the flow of traffic, which is normally over the limit not by a lot but 5-10 depending what type of road. Then one person results in a long slow parade for everyone.
I agree, I’m just trying to get where I’m going without aggravation. I often pass people who think I’m driving like a speed demon and I’m only going 70. They’re going 58 so I’m flying by them . Then they’re in the passing lane most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I agree, I’m just trying to get where I’m going without aggravation. I often pass people who think I’m driving like a speed demon and I’m only going 70. They’re going 58 so I’m flying by them . Then they’re in the passing lane most of the time.
So is the speed limit 70 when you zip past them?

Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So is the speed limit 70 when you zip past them?
You should be going fast when you pass someone. If you’re in the left lane for a mile and a half to pass a few cars, you’re doing it incorrectly. On two lane roads even more so, the longer you’re in the lane of oncoming traffic the greater the risk. You pass as quickly as possible and get back over.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You should be going fast when you pass someone. If you’re in the left lane for a mile and a half to pass a few cars, you’re doing it incorrectly. On two lane roads even more so, the longer you’re in the lane of oncoming traffic the greater the risk. You pass as quickly as possible and get back over.
I do think you can be ticketed for speeding, even if you are passing someone. I need to check that out. Watch out for “speed trap” small cities.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If people knew to "stand right, pass left" on escalators and moving sidewalks (and even non-moving sidewalks!) it wouldn't be such an issue. If you're not slowing me down, I don't care - but get out of the way!
This is my issue with them. It's not that they're slow. It's that they can be oblivious to people around them and don't let other people get by.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:45 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Sometimes I think the same thing that causes accidents on the highways is responsible for problems we have when we get behind slowpokes. Experts say "speed variance" not people going too fast causes the most accidents. When someone slows down the pace of any activity it causes problems.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Most escalators have signs that forbid walking up and down.
In all my 61 years on this planet, and in all of the cities I've been in, I've never ever seen this.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
In all my 61 years on this planet, and in all of the cities I've been in, I've never ever seen this.
Neither have I. I don't mind if people stand still on escalator, it only bugs me on airport walkways if they block the walking side.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Only 50 years here, but I've never seen such a sign either.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Yes, it's a psychological issue. I call it Immediate Gratification Syndrome, and it's gotten a heck of a lot more prevalent since everyone got a computer and even worse now that we carry them around with us everywhere.

Too many people thinking that the goal of life is to go fast, fast, fast, fast, FAST!!!!! Not realizing that they are wasting their lives in the all-consuming quest for getting through it faster.

I had a touch of it way back when and grew up and realized what I was doing to myself and my life and everyone around me and got over myself. As I get closer to the end of life, I'm really glad I realized that soon enough to enjoy life instead of whooshing through it deluding myself that I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology