Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 AM

658 posts, read 718,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
I think many regard me as a "slowpoke". Here are some reasons you may not realize. I was born duck footed or knock kneed, and have a long torso. That means naturally my gate is slower than others naturally. Usually if Im out with a group walking, they leave me behind in the dust. I was constantly told growing ul to hurry up and walk faster. That means I usually have to adjust my gate (sic) to twice as large as other peoples or basically run to catch up, or adjust my legs in a completely unnatural way. Its no fun I assure you and I dont do it to "**** you off". I do get road rage on crosswalks by annoyed motorists. I would classify it as a disability though not a major one but largely invisible as Im not elderly. Just some things to think about. I can completely understand your point about people on phones.
How dare you not walk fast enough in a designated pedestrian area of the street. Have you no shame? If you can't run across a crosswalk to accommodate people sitting on their butts in cars pushing pedals with their footsies then you shouldn't leave the house. How do you live with yourself?

(PS. It's "gait" but don't worry about it. I once wrote "peak" instead of "pique". )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,145,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
How on earth could I possibly DO that if I can't even catch up to them in the first place? By nature of physics if they are walking fast they should be able to outwalk me if I'm slower than they are. What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Like I'm going to force myself to be in pain just to get my body in front of someone by running up alongside them and then jumping in front of them and stopping? Have you ever seen someone do that in a normal everyday social setting? Especially someone who has mobility issues?

In terms of driving, that's what people are complaining about, at least me. People keep trying to make out that it's all speed demons complaining. I complain when I am the only car in sight (I travel many rural roads) and going 57, 58, and someone pulls out 100 feet in front of me than goes "la, de dah, I'm going under the limit cause I'm not in a hurry". If they weren't in a hurry, why not wait for me to go by? I used your post to make my point, sorry.

I myself go slowly at night now as many of these roads are very dark. I often wait for cars to go by before I pull out even if I have tons of time/space to do so. But I see almost a passive-aggressiveness in some people who drive slowly, as if they have the morally superior position and feel it's their place to slow others down.

I don't see too many people getting impatient at the disabled. I walk my 87 year old mom who walks like a snail lots of places and for the most part people seem patient with us. Although at Aldi the other day an older, slowish lady was crossing the lot and got beeped at, which everyone who witnessed thought was ridiculous.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,492,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In terms of driving, that's what people are complaining about, at least me. People keep trying to make out that it's all speed demons complaining. I complain when I am the only car in sight (I travel many rural roads) and going 57, 58, and someone pulls out 100 feet in front of me than goes "la, de dah, I'm going under the limit cause I'm not in a hurry". If they weren't in a hurry, why not wait for me to go by? I used your post to make my point, sorry.

I myself go slowly at night now as many of these roads are very dark. I often wait for cars to go by before I pull out even if I have tons of time/space to do so. But I see almost a passive-aggressiveness in some people who drive slowly, as if they have the morally superior position and feel it's their place to slow others down.

I don't see too many people getting impatient at the disabled. I walk my 87 year old mom who walks like a snail lots of places and for the most part people seem patient with us. Although at Aldi the other day an older, slowish lady was crossing the lot and got beeped at, which everyone who witnessed thought was ridiculous.
That is way worse than ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology