Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,047,300 times

Advertisements

But why stay still when you can walk up and down them, thereby getting to where you want to go faster?

In a taxi cab for example, it makes sense to stay still while the car drives you, because the car can move faster than you can. But on an escalator, you can move faster than the escalator to get to where you want to go, so therefore, it makes no sense, compared to a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:36 PM

13,264 posts, read 8,364,288 times
I stopped being a Hurried Helen....Constantly stressing on "time" or "destination.

Now I ease on down the road. Am I mindfull of the folks who are so stuck in their "time Vaccum" ...You betcha. I mind them and let em pass. Or Graciously Hold the door as they speed by at 50 mph.

I'm really in no rush to live...or die. So I think when it comes to daily duties....I am cognizant of madd hatters.

Not sure why folks "hate" that behavior....Priorities are out of whack perhaps?

Manners need to precede Entitlement ...

Old 02-04-2019, 12:14 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,331,897 times
OP, you're not understanding that every individual around you has their own agenda - not yours.

Maybe they are all thinking, yeesh, what's with that person trying to make me hurry, what's her problem? Doesn't she know that other people have been working all day or have bad knees or whatever?

It's not the rest of the world's job to accommodate your needs. Maybe you need to slow down and consider the needs of the people around you.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:43 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,066,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But why stay still when you can walk up and down them . . .
Why not?

Quote:
. . . thereby getting to where you want to go faster?
Maybe I don't want to get there faster.

Quote:
In a taxi cab for example, it makes sense to stay still while the car drives you, because the car can move faster than you can.

Quote:
But on an escalator, you can move faster than the escalator to get to where you want to go . . .
If I want to. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 AM

12,905 posts, read 13,581,296 times
I think slowpokes are indulging themselves at our expense. Sometimes it can be a selfish act. I personally don't get the feeling that I have performed an act of kindness if a person holding me up is not; elderly, infirmed, small child, or someone who is somehow unduly burdened.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think slowpokes are indulging themselves at our expense. Sometimes it can be a selfish act. I personally don't get the feeling that I have performed an act of kindness if a person holding me up is not; elderly, infirmed, small child, or someone who is somehow unduly burdened.
Please specify whether you're referring to slow people in general or people who are blocking you by breaking the rule of "slower traffic to the right."

The OP has made it clear that the complaint is about slow people in general.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,428,591 times
Slower traffic stay right! Honestly, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm not hating on slower people - I just want them to stay to the right and we will all be fine!

I had surgery on both my Achilles tendons. Once I was out of the casts and boots, I looked completely normal and healthy - but I wasn't. the recovery time for this surgery is about 6 months to a year and I had a handicapped placard for that time period. I did sometimes use my handicapped placard to park, and sometimes I would move slowly, so I get the whole "not visibly disabled" thing, and this did teach me some empathy for others whose challenges may not be obvious.

But I did stay to the right. Come on.

I also now understand the JUSTIFIED anger of people who can't park in a handicapped spot because someone without a placard is parked there. But that's a topic for another thread.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Slower traffic stay right! Honestly, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm not hating on slower people - I just want them to stay to the right and we will all be fine!
The OP's complaint is about slow people in general. Not just the rule breakers.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The OP's complaint is about slow people in general. Not just the rule breakers.
I'm commenting in general about the issue.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:09 AM

And I do get the frustration with slowpokes in general too. My brother in law may be the slowest moving person on the planet, closely followed by his brother, my husband. Honestly, these guys just move slowly - and apparently it's either genetic or learned behavior picked up on from a very early age. Their mother was the same way.

Not only do both of them walk slowly (and they always have, even when young), they do things like wait till they get right up to the car door to get their keys out to open the car door. And it takes both of them significantly longer to get OUT of a car and start walking into a store - neither my sister in law nor myself have figured out yet exactly what they are doing, because it's not like they're putting on lipstick. Honestly, it can be pretty weird sometimes!

The thing is, my husband isn't a lazy person, and he actually has a pretty physical job. He also doesn't drive slowly. But he WALKS SO SLOWLY THAT SOMETIMES I WANT TO ASK HIM, "WHAT WHAT WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING?" I cannot physically walk as slowly as he does - I mean it, I can't figure it out. One big difference between us is that I have long legs and am short waisted, and he's long waisted with shorter legs, so I do think that there's truly something to the whole length of stride thing. But it's not just that. I really don't get it. And the frustration goes two ways because he's always hissing at me "SLOW DOWN - why are you walking so fast?"

Honestly, my sister in law and I both dearly love our husbands, but we often talk about this oddity. She's tall and long legged like me and both of us just walk and move quickly - it's as hard wired into us as walking slowly apparently is hard wired into our husbands.

If we had a dollar for every time we've stood in the rain outside a car door waiting for our husbands to get the key out and unlock the doors, we could probably take a nice European vacation together - walking quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology