Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm commenting in general about the issue.
You specify that your beef is with slow-moving people who DON'T stay to the right.

The OP and a few others in this thread have a problem with slow-moving people, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
You specify that your beef is with slow-moving people who DON'T stay to the right.

The OP and a few others in this thread have a problem with slow-moving people, period.
I'm commenting on the topic in general - why is this an issue with you? There are slow people - and then there are slow people who don't stay to the right. One type irritates me more than the other type. I think that's a common distinction, and pertinent to the conversation. Sheeze!

If you don't think it is, please report my post(s) so they can be removed. I really don't care one way or the other.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:02 AM

1,406 posts, read 800,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That comment is kind of weird.

Escalators are people movers. You're expected to get on, and stay still, and let the moving stairs take you up or down.

You're not intended to climb up or down on them, as that creates a safety hazard if there are lots of people on them at the same time, and you're trying to skip around and past people who are using the escalator, and you might block them as they are trying to step on or off.

I actually wanted my local shopping mall to allow me to walk against traffic - as in climbing up the down escalator - as an exercise opportunity when no one else was using the escalator during inclement weather when I wanted to work out.

They said absolutely not, escalators are meant for stationary people, get on, stand still, and get off when you reach your destination floor. Otherwise, they said, security would be likely to stop you and tell you not to move around on an escalator.

(The one exception is in an airport, where people are absolutely desperate to reach their destinations and no one is likely to stop them. Or maybe in a serious emergency like a bombing).
This matches my thoughts exactly. This "stand on the right pass on the left" thing is a new one to me. Everywhere I've been it's considered rude to pass someone on an escalator. Most of them aren't even wide enough to accommodate two people comfortably (beside each other as when passing).

Old 02-04-2019, 08:11 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
This matches my thoughts exactly. This "stand on the right pass on the left" thing is a new one to me. Everywhere I've been it's considered rude to pass someone on an escalator. Most of them aren't even wide enough to accommodate two people comfortably (beside each other as when passing).
This is news to me.

I thought it was an unspoken rule that you're not supposed to take up the entire width of the escalator, in case someone is trying to catch a plane and needs to pass you.

Interesting.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
This is news to me.

I thought it was an unspoken rule that you're not supposed to take up the entire width of the escalator, in case someone is trying to catch a plane and needs to pass you.

Interesting.
Are you thinking of those horizontal "treadmill" things in airports, that you get on and it assists you in walking really fast? The right lane is for people who don't move, the left lane is for people who want to continue walking at a normal pace, as the treadmill moves forward?

Escalators don't afford that amount of space - two passengers with carry on would be very dangerous if one is trying to climb the escalator. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, those people are generally given a "pass" because we all understand not missing a plane.

But it's not designed to allow for that.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:17 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
What choo think about people leaning on their grocery carts, in the middle of the aisle, and moving slower than a sloth?

So many times the urge to ram their asses arose, but I've been good ... so far.
Some people, especially if they have a kid in the cart, will stop completely in the middle of the aisle and take their sweet time looking for something. Why don’t they move to the side?

Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
This is news to me.

Interesting.
Depends upon how wide the escalator is. I’ve had people end up wacking me with their carryon or big purse while shoving past me. Rude and could be dangerous.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
When I find myself irritated with someone who is in front of me and moving too slow for my tastes, on those occasions I think about my irritation, I've always attributed motives or even a backstory to the person. And of course that makes me the fool, not them. How do I know what's going on with them?

I've been the slow person when I've been genuinely unaware that I was impeding someone. Am I innocently distracted then, and the person now slowing me down is just being difficult? I try, in my flawed way, to give other people the benefit of the doubt when I have no real evidence to connect with their actual reason for doing whatever bugs me.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Interesting to read these posts. It seems to be a lot about the norms in different areas. Some people write they think it's rude to pass someone on an escalator. That's obviously the norm in their area. Where we are, it's considered rude to stand in the middle of the escalator and take up the whole space, preventing people from passing on the left.

So people have to be adaptable, yes?

My mother, who was in her nineties and still loved being taken out to the shops to look around, etc., would support herself by leaning on her grocery cart. Her back ached otherwise. So please think about that, guys, when next you see some old person leaning on their cart. It's usually not because they're trying to be annoying. And by the way, you will get there one day. Believe it or not.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Old people who block aisles and display cases in stores and have no awareness of it, are the worst of all. And then you realize they're going to be driving home on public streets!! If they can't navigate a grocery cart, how can they drive? To deal with that, there's a concept of integrated housing/schools/recreational facilities/retail shops/medical & dental clinics/workplaces/entertainment venues, in planned developments small enough, so everyone can meet most of their daily needs by walking, riding small electric carts(provided by the community) or being wheeled in chairs by care-providers. Most personally-owned vehicles would be eliminated and air pollution greatly reduced. If people were raised not having motor vehicles of their own, they wouldn't miss them.

The large number of care-providers for older or infirm people would not only make life better for them, but would help solve the problem of major unemployment, caused by automated systems in factories and businesses of all sorts. Everyone would spend their lives at a gentler pace and slowpokes would hardly be noticed. Note how my attitude came full-circle, just within that one post.
I loved it! And by the way, I'd also love to find out more about these places you describe. Specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology