Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:32 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Please specify whether you're referring to slow people in general or people who are blocking you by breaking the rule of "slower traffic to the right."

The OP has made it clear that the complaint is about slow people in general.
this isn't the automotive forum so.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 11:23 AM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
Escalators here just go up or down between floors. You are supposed to step on and stay still. They are normally narrow enough to hold on to the rails with both hands. I would find it incredibly rude and unsafe for someone to try to push past me unless it was a dire emergency. The entire ride is just a few seconds.

I have seen the horizontal moving belts in airports before. Those are longer and wider. It does make sense for people to continue walking on those and the left/right courtesy could apply.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
Escalators here just go up or down between floors. You are supposed to step on and stay still. They are normally narrow enough to hold on to the rails with both hands. I would find it incredibly rude and unsafe for someone to try to push past me unless it was a dire emergency. The entire ride is just a few seconds.

I have seen the horizontal moving belts in airports before. Those are longer and wider. It does make sense for people to continue walking on those and the left/right courtesy could apply.
Thanks for the clarification.

I was not aware that the rule does not apply to escalators. Noted.

A couple of fast-moving posters in this thread will be unhappy about this.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
I think it’s more an issue of “my time is much more valuable than yours is,therefore get out of my wayâ€.

It’s kind of like people who refuse to drive the speed limit because they think they will arrive faster than the person driving the speed limit. Given the myriad of others on the road and sidewalks, there will always be someone causing you to slow down, hence the time it takes to get from here to there is not substantially reduced.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:17 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But why stay still when you can walk up and down them, thereby getting to where you want to go faster?

In a taxi cab for example, it makes sense to stay still while the car drives you, because the car can move faster than you can. But on an escalator, you can move faster than the escalator to get to where you want to go, so therefore, it makes no sense, compared to a car.
Because getting somewhere faster is not always the goal.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you thinking of those horizontal "treadmill" things in airports, that you get on and it assists you in walking really fast? The right lane is for people who don't move, the left lane is for people who want to continue walking at a normal pace, as the treadmill moves forward?

Escalators don't afford that amount of space - two passengers with carry on would be very dangerous if one is trying to climb the escalator. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, those people are generally given a "pass" because we all understand not missing a plane.

But it's not designed to allow for that.
Lol, the treadmill thing is called an automated people mover, or APM.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:24 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
Psychological issue? No way. Pokes need to get the hell out of the way, that's all.

There's the old saying, "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!" Pokes don't get out of the way, they obstruct.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:24 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Some people are insufferable pokeys. Like the girl who spent 30 minutes while diligently making my tall Americano at a no named coffee shop outside of San Francisco one morning.There were four people in the shop. Two were sitting and chatting already served and one gentleman waiting on an egg muffin. I should have left except it was thing to behold to see someone so inconsiderate working in fast food. It was almost laughable to watch her in her hipster threads shuffling back an forth forgetting this then that.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:25 PM

If you go to NYC, do follow the keep right, pass on the left rule on escalators and stairs. And don't stop dead in the middle of a sidewalk with hundreds of people behind you, either.

The very worst offenders are the cretins who walk slowly on sidewalks three or four abreast HOLDING HANDS. As crazy as it sounds, I've seen it happen a number of times. It is beyond rude and one of those things that make me think personal tasers should be allowed.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:49 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

I was not aware that the rule does not apply to escalators. Noted.

A couple of fast-moving posters in this thread will be unhappy about this.
(I should also clarify the only escalators I have ever seen have been in shopping malls and at the ball park. Those are where the narrow ones are with the safety rules. We do not have subways here.

Tips Riding Escalators and Moving Walkaways safely

This site's guidelines seems to match my experience:

"When riding escalators and moving walkways, follow these guidelines.

On escalators, stand in the center of the step and face forward.
On moving walkways, stationary passengers should stay to the right and let those walking pass on the left."

I did find an interesting article: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23444086. All of the stand on one side rules seem to be for the walkways or associated with getting to some kind of transportation on a schedule (rail, subway, train, airplane, etc.) Maybe that is why there is such a difference of opinion as the conditions are so different - leisurely shopping with multiple shopping bags versus commuting. At the mall, it's one flight, a few seconds - if someone is in a hurry, they can easily take the stairs which are normally located close by. The escalators at underground stations seem much longer and not necessarily multiple options of which route to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology