Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 05:25 AM

468 posts, read 616,273 times

Advertisements

A lot of today's generation, particularly those active in politics, or entertainment, have been labelled "narcissistic". Twitter is considered a "breeding ground for trolls", and we all know the mantra on the internet "don't feed the trolls". This ties into something narcissists crave: attention and validation. Do we feed a narcissist attention? No. It adds fuel to their fire. Look at Trump, the more attention he gets, the larger he looms.

So where does this rampant rise in 21st century narcissism come from?

I remember a Newsweek or New York Times cover story from the 1970s. On the cover, it referred to the "ME Decade", aimed squarely at Baby Boomers. Most of the millennials of today have been raised by Baby Boomers, many of which are divorced or separated.

Could this lack of tradition, or tenacity, or robustness in relationships/personal life mirror the current obsession with projecting success, even while your personal life is in tatters? Many of the narcissistic people in positions of power covet their success/power more than they covet intimate, long lasting and meaningful relationships.

In short: are we in a narcissism epidemic? What will reverse it? Does the rise in conservatism have a relationship with the narcissism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 03:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
The 1970s were over 40 years ago. That generation has now been pretty set in it's ways for quite a while. Why would an influence created 40 years ago suddenly be apparent now? There have always been narcissistic people. The difference now is that they have more platforms upon which to make a lot more people aware of every thought running through their little heads whenever they wish...instantly, 24/7.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-09-2019 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 03:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Facebook/MySpace gave raise to it

narcissism has always been around, but now people can display it to everyone to see

Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
I think the word is overused. Everyone's an armchair psychiatrist now.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:22 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I wonder how much influence affluence has had on the self-centeredness we experience in today's culture. Often I think about how the country of the US was slowly inhabited and how the hardships the settlers endured tended to make them interdependent.

People were isolated. In the many small settlements you might only have one doctor, one minister, one lawyer, etc. Each of these sets of skills was valuable to the community and so people needed to build a social structure that compelled people to stay. And not only to stay, but to thrive and to get along with each other. You never knew when you might need the services or help of another. So people tended to put effort into their relationships hoping that when they needed someone others would do the same.

Really, this is a shallow explanation of a concept that would probably take a whole book to explore. There are many sociological, economical and psychological factors to consider. But I think with more people, more choices, more mobility and more money people often feel they can afford self-centeredness.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 PM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
I blame capitalism, consumerism, individualism and the advent of social media which has given already narcissistic and self absorbed people an easy platform

Old 02-10-2019, 01:23 AM

15 posts, read 12,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I think the word is overused. Everyone's an armchair psychiatrist now.
But the more people understand it, based on the availability of psychiatric text online, the easier it is to see in others.

Don't you agree?

Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybuddybabe View Post
But the more people understand it, based on the availability of psychiatric text online, the easier it is to see in others.

Don't you agree?
Partly, but there will always be people who never actually bother to understand what it means. They hear the faddish term and start using it. Monkey see monkey do. They toss it around to impress others, but all it really exposes is their ignorance. I know a few conceited self-centered people and have observed quite a few more, but can't recall describing any of them as narcissistic. That's a different level.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Partly, but there will always be people who never actually bother to understand what it means. They hear the faddish term and start using it. Monkey see monkey do. They toss it around to impress others, but all it really exposes is their ignorance. I know a few conceited self-centered people and have observed quite a few more, but can't recall describing any of them as narcissistic. That's a different level.
Pretty sure in the paragraph the definition is there to review: "Self Centered" Equates to Narcissistic.
Not a different level.

On Topic: Thru each generation is a label to push the next. Labels are a way to identify in a rational way in "modern" civilization. I can't say "world wide" that there even was a "me' generation. Just USA wise. Yes.
So when I review the historical facts involved in how each one led the next its rather intriguing how the "Me" generation...which I recall quite well...Liberated some antiquated mores' and created a tad bit of the foundation for equality to move forward to where it is today. Granted it was back in the 1920's that womens' rights were even given "some" acknowledgement. But that would take decades to bring forth .

If MYOB is a part of the "Me" generation....then I can say without a doubt we got alot of members here practicing that at work .....Wonder if it was the Me group that influenced that habit. ......for it is rather self centered now that I think about it. Self preservation would be to work in tribe mode...support members and move forward...

Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
The rules of the 'independent' older generations don't apply to the interdependence of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology