Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times

Advertisements

Is anyone more narcissistic than fellow baby boomer Trump? I think when I was coming up, people in my generation recognized and called BS on BS. The powers that be today have made truth negotiable or actually optional. It's OK to lie if it gives you an advantage or even if you don't have the time to find out what the truth is. So the message to younger people is they should adopt a persona and a self opinion and it doesn't have to be backed up with anything, it's just their opinion, but in their minds it is fact. Just like our news media, our talking head politicians and our commander in chief. This attitude has replaced truth and integrity, and for those who want to get ahead, or even just survive, it makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 12:46 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Is anyone more narcissistic than fellow baby boomer Trump? I think when I was coming up, people in my generation recognized and called BS on BS. The powers that be today have made truth negotiable or actually optional. It's OK to lie if it gives you an advantage or even if you don't have the time to find out what the truth is. So the message to younger people is they should adopt a persona and a self opinion and it doesn't have to be backed up with anything, it's just their opinion, but in their minds it is fact. Just like our news media, our talking head politicians and our commander in chief. This attitude has replaced truth and integrity, and for those who want to get ahead, or even just survive, it makes perfect sense.
lol

Wow--touche all around!

But actually, when you think about it, we saw this type of "flexibility" with the truth during GW Bush. The current Prez has taken it to new heights, or lows, though.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:05 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Figure it out. Every decade society has changed. There are nearly 5 decades since the 70s. The populace in the 70s were about advancing peace and love continuing on from the 60s. It was a social revolution not narcissism. I was a young woman in my 20s then, a "flower child".

https://www.retrowaste.com/1970s/

"The hippie culture, which started in the latter half of the 1960s, waned by the early 1970s and faded towards the middle part of the decade, which involved opposition to the Vietnam War, opposition to nuclear weapons, the advocacy of world peace, and hostility to the authority of government and big business. The environmentalist movement began to increase dramatically in this period."

Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the biggest thing I blame the Boomers for is this notion that divorce and single parent families wouldn't screw up the kids. The research, even from liberal researchers, proves all of that to be untrue.

Of course, I do understand at this point that this kind of crap was pushed on the Boomers as one of many attempts to destabilize society. It worked. Not coincidentally, the 'spend every dime you make and then some' mantra that began in the 1980s was yet another lie perpetuated on them to destabilize society. It worked, too.

We have to start getting wise to this stuff. We have to start understanding the mainstream media and the entertainment industry are vehicles of a small elite which are used to get us to act against our own interests.
They were sold all this...there was no internet, and "experts" in finance, politics, psychology were saying to look out for yourself first, or you are no good to anyone. People were generally on the same page, in some ways, check out an election map 1984. I certainly heard and still do that kids are better off in divorced families than with miserable married parents. Women were Told they had to work to be personally fulfilled and to support themselves should their marriage fail. Then dual incomes became expected and necessary to some extent.

I don't blame the boomers, they did not want to be supporting their grown kids and grandkids, they thought their kids all would do even better than they did. Boomers were not economists, they were not privy to ideas of elites attempting to destabilize society, not to America, that would sound like dystopian fiction. They were Told to spend to make the economy roll, work, EARN, spend - enjoy luxuries, you deserve it, spoil your kids and that is being a good American.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't blame the boomers, they did not want to be supporting their grown kids and grandkids, they thought their kids all would do even better than they did. .
All they had to do was say "no".

Buying a car for an adult grandchild, when one does not have any retirement funds, is beyond foolish. This is an example of something I've seen with some older adults.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Generation X is known as The Silent Generation.

The OP is mixed up.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Boomers were very unsophisticated and unaware.

After the sixties were over, many of them felt they had to "sell out," and work for corporations to survive.

Their kids were not coddled.

As someone else mentioned, the roles were very confusing - women were urged to work, needed to work, and many wanted to stay home with kids, but were guilted into working.

Work roles in the home were not equal, so many women had two jobs (one all day off site and the other home at night cooking and cleaning).

Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Generation X is known as The Silent Generation.

The OP is mixed up.
No, The Silent Generation is from 1920s as starting birth years and early-to-mid 1940s.

GenX is known as the "Forgotten Generation". Because both parents went into the workforce and the kids became latchkey kids and were left on their own.

Last edited by 2Loud; 02-12-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:

After the sixties were over, many of them felt they had to "sell out," and work for corporations to survive.

Their kids were not coddled.

As someone else mentioned, the roles were very confusing - women were urged to work, needed to work, and many wanted to stay home with kids, but were guilted into working.

Work roles in the home were not equal, so many women had two jobs (one all day off site and the other home at night cooking and cleaning).
Where do you get these crazy ideas?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:

Many of us may have been going into the Sixties but by the end of the Vietnam War we were quite awake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology