Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:51 AM

880 posts, read 531,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
It's a memory that never fades.
There was a period between 11-12 for me where I couldn't figure out why this was happening to me.
I felt guilty. What was so special about me .
(A stranger handy man hired to do a few things around the house and my parents family male friend)

Mistrust of men. Overprotective of my daughter now.
Not feeling worthy of praise even though I damn well deserve it. I don't like the attention.
OP why do you inquire?
^^^ this ^^^

For me i was between 5-7. I don't have a general mistrust of men, although my partners have said that im a flight risk or i seem to have commitment issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 09:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Yep. Why do you ask?
Ruth I'm not able to rep you for some reason but you probably covered the whole spectrum!

Old 05-28-2019, 11:59 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
I was...let's say 'introduced' to sexual things by a girl my grandmother babysat who was a few years older than me. As a kid it never dawned on me but she was obviously being abused.

Not to gross anyone out, but once she sneezed, showed me the mucus on her hand, and told me 'This is what makes people want to do it'. As an adult I later realized she was referring to semen--at that young age she'd seen semen before. She eventually vanished while her younger sister stayed with the family--she was shipped off to other relatives. I sincerely believe the father was abusing her and when his wife found out they got rid of the victim and kept the abuser. As for how it affected me it made me wish I'd somehow known how to get an adult involved in this, someone who would've actually done something. I was a kid, though...

Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
It took processing it later in life to realize that much of my behavioral decisions stemmed from that trauma.

- Went from Prudish( cant touch this)...to its opposite Behavior.
- Low Low self esteem....After All I was in "spirit" Dirty- shame filled .
- still a work in progress that I still despise having something taken without permission. Only the assaulted can truly grasp that feeling at its core....

The event may had lasted but a few minutes, yet my how it changed an innocent being. How could it not?

Its certainly is not a conversation piece at a dinner gathering.

Nor is it a "Metoo#" badge of honor to convey.

All I can say is that coming out the other side of that life lived burden...I rarely get hyper sensitive or think "every" person is to be distrusted.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It took processing it later in life to realize that much of my behavioral decisions stemmed from that trauma.

- still a work in progress that I still despise having something taken without permission. Only the assaulted can truly grasp that feeling at its core....

The event may had lasted but a few minutes, yet my how it changed an innocent being. How could it not?

All I can say is that coming out the other side of that life lived burden...I rarely get hyper sensitive or think "every" person is to be distrusted.

“Me too†is a statement of support to fight abuse and sexual harassment no matter what you gender or politics. While you and I have come out from the other side , yay, there are others who need to see they are not alone.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
“Me too†is a statement of support to fight abuse and sexual harassment no matter what you gender or politics. While you and I have come out from the other side , yay, there are others who need to see they are not alone.
Seemed to me to be a bandwagon that was introduced about the same time Cory Feldman fought Hollywood elite about the molestation of young actors, particularly boys by well known, popular celebrities. His best friend killed himself as a result and Charlie Sheen was the perpetrator. Pretty much drowned that whole topic out.

Publicizing sexual assault isn't the way to heal oneself. I suppose there is a certain amount of relief in disclosure. There's also a huge measure of frustration as the perpetrators rarely acknowledge, which is what victims crave. Perps are usually people the victim knows/admires/perhaps even loves. They are also low-life dastardly scumbags.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:49 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I agree & especially the bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
“Me too” is a statement of support to fight abuse and sexual harassment no matter what you gender or politics. While you and I have come out from the other side , yay, there are others who need to see they are not alone.
Ya sorry- that's a no from me. It's supposed to be some "feel good, Kumbaya" nonsense BS. We adult children that were REALLY abused, molested, raped not "harassed" don't need some silly hashtag.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:00 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

Ya sorry- that's a no from me. It's supposed to be some "feel good, Kumbaya" nonsense BS. We adult children that were REALLY abused, molested, raped not "harassed" don't need some silly hashtag.

Well it’s no secret on here my father went to prison for his rape and abuse of me unless you want to declare I wasn’t REALLY abused. rape, abuse,sexual harassment crosses all cultures and political boundaries. If people don’t agree fine. Bottom line is those who have been raped , abused or sexually harassed find help , no matter their age, gender , or their politics.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:05 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I was abused by my 4th grade teacher, and yeah, it affected me through adulthood. It took some work to put that aside and reclaim my right for a healthy sex life.

I never #metoo. It's no ones business, and too many people claim getting a compliment on your skirt is harassment and did the hash tag that I didn't want to be a part of that.

My friend "announced" she had been raped 7 times. No, regrets in the morning do not equal rape.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2019, 12:43 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

Thank you LLC.

hashtag: #thumbsup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology