Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:02 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
42, and thinking back almost 40 yrs I never mentioned the word "old" at that time in my life. I was in my prime and enjoyed every minute of my 40's....stuff started a downward spiral after menopause in my early 50's and the topper was a messy hip replacement at 72...so here I am at going on 81 and in pain and bored more every day.

I'm outta my league in this thread kinda, except we all arrive at our ages.
Well I may get at that too but I’m sorry you are bored. When I was in terrible pain for several years it made it very difficult to do much of anything. Maybe start a thread about boredom because I bet posters can offer so many ways to combat boredom within the constraints and budgets of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:39 AM

801 posts, read 451,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am eighty-one now. My experience has been the opposite of the above quote. When I hit my sixties my thoughts went back to past times less and less, and at this point it is rather rare that they do.
I think those who don't t least often about past good times when they get older, are exceptions to the rule. But good for you!
I wouldn't say "addicted" to thinking about the past, just that we have lots of memories to choose from and to some degree the mind tends to return to those good times, especially if one's current situation is not so great.

I know that for me, the best years of my life were years ago. The last 15 years of my life have been okay, nothing too bad (except my marriage falling apart). But I wish I could return to when I was younger - in my late teens and early 20's, then in my 30's - and for a short time in my 40's - when I had more fun, had more nearby friends, and other more enjoyable situations than I have now.

It is possible I will have another very good time of my life, in the near future, but I'm not counting on it. And I AM working towards making better things happen in my life, as best I can.

Nothing terrible about my life now, though; it's just not as good as other times in the past, and I do recall those times in my past with longing to return to them or a time like them. Sometimes in people's lives they get stuck in situations that aren't preferable. That is my current situation so yeah, I do think about better times in the past.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I feel like my best days were late 20's-early 30's. I've battled depression most of my life and I wish I'd been more in the moment back then and appreciated that time instead of always worrying. I don't think there's anything for me to look forward to now. I missed out on having kids and live alone. I haven't met a woman I want to marry since my divorce and that really bothers me. I fear ending up alone. The last 10 years haven't been kind and I doubt it changes.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:00 AM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'll tell you why I do. Lots and lots of regrets and ruminating on those regrets. I wish my life had turned out completely differently and now time is running out. Also, I worried about such trivial things when I was young and rarely enjoyed being in the moment. I wish I had learned meditation when I was 10 years old vs. 48. Might have changed a lot of things. Well, that and some good mentors, which I had zero.
Well what is stopping you right now? 48 and what you doing? Working and being tired? Watching peoples lives on tv? There is always time to make a better for yourself. I say you probably got 30 years left to accomplish that goal. A lot could happen then.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:59 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Well what is stopping you right now? 48 and what you doing? Working and being tired? Watching peoples lives on tv? There is always time to make a better for yourself. I say you probably got 30 years left to accomplish that goal. A lot could happen then.
I'm not just sitting on my a*s doing nothing, but I do believe I screwed a lot of things up beyond repair and the future doesn't look great. I've bettered myself a lot financially in my 40's, but not at all in my personal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology