Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:33 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What happened as a result of that, if I may ask?

If you are really interested in how this happens and what results from it, order a copy of _The Aardvark's Wife_ from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Aardvarks-Wif...rb_top?ie=UTF8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 12:19 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Real but parents push doctors to call it that so they can have excuse when their baby isn't the best and brightest of the bunch...

Easy way to drug kids into submission without guilt
You can say the same for gender dysphoria diagnoses, without actually offending those who do suffer for it for real.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 AM

388 posts, read 200,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Psychologist are not doctors. They are not able to give a diagnosis.
i think youre mistaken. a psychologist is not a medical doctor (m.d.) they are a psy.d which is a doctor. they can make a diagnosis-- a psy.d. cannot prescribe medication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
An adult with Aspergers/autism can mask their condition well. Basically hiding their true intentions, and mirroring and/or parroting us back to ourselves.

So, the man I thought I was marrying....didn't actually exist. Once he got me where he wanted me, saying I do, all of the masking dropped.
the purpose of masking in people with asd is not generally to defraud, it is a defense against mistreatment. that sort of masking is also incredibly difficult to keep up over a long period of time in an intimate relationship. if your spouse was able to mask all the way to the altar, he was probably masking more than asd-- i would expect masking to occur with a cluster b personality disorder, like bpd or npd, but the comorbidity of cluster b with asd is supposedly extremely rare. masking for asd is generally done in public, not in close relationships. it is incredibly tiring to do all the time, sometimes even for a short time. if you read about schizoid (cluster a) personality disorder, it involves a lot of masking and could be comorbid with a (lower) percentage of people on the asd spectrum. please dont assume that is typical of autistic adults, it is not as prevalent as comorbid disorder. but it most likely can happen.

Last edited by dynamicjson; 03-12-2019 at 12:35 AM..

Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
i think youre mistaken. a psychologist is not a medical doctor (m.d.) they are a psy.d which is a doctor. they can make a diagnosis-- a psy.d. cannot prescribe medication.

the purpose of masking in people with asd is not generally to defraud, it is a defense against mistreatment. that sort of masking is also incredibly difficult to keep up over a long period of time in an intimate relationship. if your spouse was able to mask all the way to the altar, he was probably masking more than asd-- i would expect masking to occur with a cluster b personality disorder, like bpd or npd, but the comorbidity of cluster b with asd is supposedly extremely rare. masking for asd is generally done in public, not in close relationships. it is incredibly tiring to do all the time, sometimes even for a short time. if you read about schizoid (cluster a) personality disorder, it involves a lot of masking and could be comorbid with a (lower) percentage of people on the asd spectrum. please dont assume that is typical of autistic adults, it is not as prevalent as comorbid disorder. but it most likely can happen.
It is absolutely not true that all psychologist are D’s. In fact I think most of them are not.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 AM

388 posts, read 200,303 times
Quote:
It is absolutely not true that all psychologist are D’s. In fact I think most of them are not.
if you define psychologist as a person who practices psychology, perhaps not. nonetheless, the statement "psychologists are not doctors" is absolutely not true, and "psychologists cannot provide a diagnosis" does not seem to be true either. at best: "it depends on the psychologist."

Old 03-12-2019, 10:22 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Such ignorant comments. The "D" in Ph.D. and Psy.D stands for "doctor."

Old 03-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
if you define psychologist as a person who practices psychology, perhaps not. nonetheless, the statement "psychologists are not doctors" is absolutely not true, and "psychologists cannot provide a diagnosis" does not seem to be true either. at best: "it depends on the psychologist."
OK I will give you that, but I think the majority of practicing psychologist in this country are not actual clinical psychologist with doctorate degree. Regardless, the poster I responded to was not diagnosed by his psychologist. She did not do any sort of assessments or tests she simply said “I think you have this”. That is not an actual diagnosis regardless what degree she holds.

Even a medical doctor can say “I think you have congestive heart failure” but until an actual assessment is done (in this case a chest X-ray) you have not been diagnosed with anything.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Such ignorant comments. The "D" in Ph.D. and Psy.D stands for "doctor."
Simply having Doctor in your degree does not mean you can diagnose. Physical therapists are doctors now too but they are not able to make diagnoses.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:37 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Simply having Doctor in your degree does not mean you can diagnose. Physical therapists are doctors now too but they are not able to make diagnoses.
FYI, it's psychologists who administer the psychological testing that determines if a person has ASD, or not. So yes, psychologists are the people trained to be able to diagnose ASD. They are the only ones who are really qualified to do it.

But in my personal case, I was first diagnosed by an LCSW. My psychiatrist refused to even get involved with making any diagnosis. The LCSW's diagnosis was ultimately confirmed by a Social Security psychologist who tested me, which cleared the way for me to get SSDI.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
FYI, it's psychologists who administer the psychological testing that determines if a person has ASD, or not. So yes, psychologists are the people trained to be able to diagnose ASD. They are the only ones who are really qualified to do it.

But in my personal case, I was first diagnosed by an LCSW. My psychiatrist refused to even get involved with making any diagnosis. The LCSW's diagnosis was ultimately confirmed by a Social Security psychologist who tested me, which cleared the way for me to get SSDI.

That first paragraph is not true at all. It is not psychological testing that determines ASD, there are a range of factors including language delays and sensory regulation issues. The, vast majority of people diagnosed today are diagnosed as toddlers. Developmental Pediatricians and Neurologists diagnose as well, and only clinical psychologists can do this. But when your pediatrician says "get your child screened as I suspect as issue" it is NOT a psychologist they will refer them to.

And for the 3rd time, that poster's psychologists did not IMO diagnose him. Just stating "I think you have ASD" is not IMO making an official diagnoses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology