Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 02:54 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times

Advertisements

I have no proof of this, but I'm going on forty and noticed about twenty years ago suddenly anyone who was in any way a misfit or quirky had Asperger syndrome..

I think Asperger syndrome is just a way to classify and segregate social misfits and quiet people. In the eighties and nineties these people were just rejects who had to work around social regulation.. Even now the SSA and none of the "protected group" acts going back to the first in 1964 acknowledges it.. It's basically just a social class at this point; unlike the rest of autism..

Again, no hard proof a syndrome isn't the reason for social rejection..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 03:01 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Real but parents push doctors to call it that so they can have excuse when their baby isn't the best and brightest of the bunch...

Easy way to drug kids into submission without guilt

Old 02-27-2019, 03:05 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I have no proof of this, but I'm going on forty and noticed about twenty years ago suddenly anyone who was in any way a misfit or quirky had Asperger syndrome..

I think Asperger syndrome is just a way to classify and segregate social misfits and quiet people. In the eighties and nineties these people were just rejects who had to work around social regulation.. Even now the SSA and none of the "protected group" acts going back to the first in 1964 acknowledges it.. It's basically just a social class at this point; unlike the rest of autism..

Again, no hard proof a syndrome isn't the reason for social rejection..
You have it all figured out? Congratulations. A lot of assumptions. Consider that some people will use it as a convenient excuse for their behavior, or an excuse for dismissing a difficult person they'd rather not deal with. As someone with family members exhibiting these sorts of behaviors I have to say that understanding more about what might be going on in their heads has made everyone's life better, including theirs.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You have it all figured out? Congratulations. A lot of assumptions. Consider that some people will use it as a convenient excuse for their behavior, or an excuse for dismissing a difficult person they'd rather not deal with. As someone with family members exhibiting these sorts of behaviors I have to say that understanding more about what might be going on in their heads has made everyone's life better, including theirs.
I've had more of the traits, since birth decades ago, than most of the people talking about it on the net.. I'm nowhere near as "normal" as the worse case I've seen on YouTube.. I'm married with a degree and a job..

In school before the two-thousands, and in public, you were just a weird loner and moved on with life or shot up the school.. The federal and state governments tend to agree.. Typically cases I see on the net are far more socially qualified than me; no excuse for any form of dependence..

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-overdiagnosed

Last edited by TJJT; 02-27-2019 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 03:46 PM

334 posts, read 227,015 times
You will be happy to know then that Aspergers was taken out of the DSM in DSM-5 and is now considered part of the Autism Spectrum

https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-healt...health-manual/

Old 02-27-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoplasmic View Post
You will be happy to know then that Aspergers was taken out of the DSM in DSM-5 and is now considered part of the Autism Spectrum

https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-healt...health-manual/
Doesn't change that it's the most famous case of over-diagnoses in recent history and SSA and other branches are basically ignoring it at this point..

If you go on YouTube everyone claiming to be disabled by it are more functional than people you probably know that go to work daily and live on their own..

Old 02-27-2019, 04:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My understanding is Asperger has specific traits that are abundantly clear when present. One is the obsessive repeating of the same discussion over and over and if you tell them they already told you all that, they say it anyway. Another I believe is the refusal to stop talking and allow anyone else to say anything. There are some others, but those are the two that stand out to me.

We have a family member who has this and exhibits every trait of Asberger to a T.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My understanding is Asperger has specific traits that are abundantly clear when present. One is the obsessive repeating of the same discussion over and over and if you tell them they already told you all that, they say it anyway. Another I believe is the refusal to stop talking and allow anyone else to say anything. There are some others, but those are the two that stand out to me.

We have a family member who has this and exhibits every trait of Asberger to a T.

" refusal to stop talking and allow anyone else to say anything"

Depends on who you ask.. Some will tell you it's extreme reclusiveness and unable to communicate.. Going back to title of the thread..

What the heck let's just make a syndrome with conflicting symptoms to improve chances of positive diagnoses!!! I'm pretty anyone in this thread could get a positive diagnoses...

Again... I have more of the symptoms than most of the famous awareness personalities around it.. I had my first paying job at thirteen.. I held jobs where people were trying daily to get me fired and it was fast production and docks.. A misfit syndrome for people who have it far easier is just plain dumb pandering politics..

Last edited by TJJT; 02-27-2019 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Asperger's ranges in severity, just like all autism. Some people are what most would consider normal, others struggle all their lives. There are plenty of people with Asperger's who are able to fit in just fine and learn to act in such a way to fit in with everyone else.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:06 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Real but parents push doctors to call it that so they can have excuse when their baby isn't the best and brightest of the bunch...

Easy way to drug kids into submission without guilt
Aspergers is not normally managed with drugs like ADD is. More typical treatment is speech therapy, occupational therapy and strategies to help the child succeed in school academically and socially. It is not fake at all. Worked with kids all over the spectrum from ASP burgers to full-blown autism and believe me it is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology